Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

July 4th was the hottest day ever

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by rivergator, Jul 5, 2023.

1. Gator515151

Gator515151 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 4, 2007
    There is a bright side......When it is that hot outside you can be sure nobody is hiding in the backseat of your car to kill you.

• Funny Funny x 9
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  2. okeechobee

okeechobee GC Hall of Fame

Sep 11, 2022
    Once we're able to eliminate carbon emissions globally by 2035, I wonder what will happen a hundred years from now if global temperatures begin to rise again after the inevitable crash they'll have after 2035? Will we just say "this is what the climate does" or will there be another scapegoat?

• Like Like x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  3. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    I am supportive of a lot to the things we are doing in reaction to climate change. But the fact is it probably isn’t going to make a huge difference in climate any time soon. From all accounts, this stuff is progressing more along some of the worse case scenarios and many of these things are phenomenon that has already been put in motion and not easily halted or reversed. Even if the US does to carbon free the impact on climate change going forward is likely marginal.

Like I said though, I totally support many of the measures, like cleaner energy, due to pollution reduction, energy independence, long term sustainability etc.

4. okeechobee

Sep 11, 2022
    It's mostly rubbish. For example, can someone explain to me the years of global cooling we had from the mid 1960's through early 1970's? Because global CO2 emissions had been rising exponentially for decades prior to that. How does the Earth cool for a period of 10 years with double the amount of CO2 emission? And yes, I realize global CO2 emissions increased a whole lot after the 1970's as well, but based on the figures, we should be seeing a much larger increase in global temperates than we have. The greenhouse effect hinders heat evaporation. We should be a lot hotter by now with the amount of CO2 going into the atmosphere compared to the mid 1990s, but we're not. We're about 0.4 degrees Fahrenheit warmer than we were 30 years ago. As you enhance a greenhouse's heating capacity, the temperatures rise at a much quicker pace assuming all other ambient conditions outside the greenhouse are the same. Like putting a lid on a pot of water you're heating on the stove. The water gets exponentially hotter until it boils over to remove the heat. Imagine if next time you used a lid that was twice as heavy and airtight. That's not happening with Earth with regard to greenhouse gas emissions.

Even with all we've done, the oceans went up 4 inches in the last 30 years. The worst case scenario is they go up another 4 inches by 2053. By then, CO2 emissions will be on their way out if not out completely already.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 11, 2011
    We’ve had an absolutely glorious spring here in VA. Maybe the best ever since I’ve lived here (since 2013). Hot as the blazes now but it’s been wonderful leading up to this.

6. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    Some of this I can answer off the top of my head, other with a little research. But given our prior exchanges on vaccines I’m not going to bother.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Yep, it was... if big-pharma's idea was to give everyone the incurable SADS that can hit you at any time in the future.

8. okeechobee

Sep 11, 2022
    As with the other topic, you prefer to be lied to rather than admit you've been lied to. This is what former vice president Al Gore said in 2009: "The North Pole will be ice-free in the summer by 2013 because of man-made global warming.” He added: “Some of the models suggest to Dr [Wieslav] Maslowski that there is a 75% chance that the entire north polar ice cap during some of the summer months could be completely ice-free within the next five to seven years.”

It's a hoax. Always has been. Think about it. If the government truly thought in five years the North Pole would be ice free in the summer, they would be printing trillions of dollars every year to devote to converting us over to green energy. They would be threatening any other nations who didn't go along with nuclear annihilation. After all, what's the point in going on if we're all going to burn up? You nuke China, India and Russia, at least you still have a chance, right? But our government doesn't think that. So, we throw a bone here, throw a bone there, but it's just for show.

I'll illustrate further. We've sent $130 billion in the past year to fund a proxy war in Ukraine against the Russians. Biden's budget last year included a total of $44.9 billion in discretionary budget authority to tackle the "climate crisis". In 2021,
    the United States' investment in clean energy reached its highest point to date at 105 billion U.S. dollars. We printed $143 billion to save Silicon Valley Bank, lol. Point being, if it was the end of times doomsday scenario the media and left want to make it out to be, we'd be spending way more to stop our inevitable early death, regardless of what other countries do. We'd pay for the research and share the info with the world for free if the Florida peninsula was going to be submerged in water.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    pass.

• Winner Winner x 3
  10. okeechobee

Sep 11, 2022
    And they're still doing it:
    Scientists project that if emissions continue to rise unchecked, the Arctic could be ice free in the summer as soon as the year 2040 as ocean and air temperatures continue to rise rapidly.

Why are glaciers and sea ice melting?.

I have a question for the entire audience. If all the ice covering Antarctica, Greenland and in mountain glaciers around the world were to melt, the sea level would rise about 230 feet, right? And we agree they've only risen 4 inches in the past 30 years, right? But they're going to rise 230 feet in the next 17 years according to "scientists." In this scenario, the ocean would cover all the Eastern coastal cities, Florida would be totally submerged. Does anybody here actually believe that? I promise I won't mock you if you speak up. Because here's the thing, a lot of scientists actually don't believe anything close to that is going happen and if it ever did, it would take thousands of years to transpire. The climate change mafia presents this totally false narrative, as if all scientists and climatologists are on board with these whack predictions. It couldn't be less true.

P.S. @l_boy no shame in hoisting that white flag.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
  12. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    So because you have questions you personally can’t answer and you don’t understand it, somehow that invalidates the science?

I am sure if you have serviceable Google skills you can find answers to your questions.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    I have seen nobody predict all the ice in Antarctica is going to melt in 17 years.

You do understand that the Arctic Ocean and Antarctica are different, right?

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  14. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Shhh . . . he's on a roll.

• Funny Funny x 4
  15. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. okeechobee

Sep 11, 2022
    Of course, you're going to semantics and split hairs, because you know as well as I do that if the Earth warmed enough to melt the entire Arctic ice cap, a very large portion of the Antarctic ice cap would melt as well 6 months later. Do you agree that sea levels have risen 4 inches in the last 30 years or are you going to try to weasel out again?

17. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    Semantics?

No, I don’t agree that if the Arctic Ocean melts in the summer in 17 years, that all of the continental ice in Antarctica will melt a few years later. That’s laughably stupid.

I’m guessing you also didn’t know that the Arctic ocean melting in itself won’t cause sea levels to rise, because it’s an…..ocean.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    He’s doubling down, God Bless him.

19. okeechobee

Sep 11, 2022
    Annnnnd that's not what I said. Annnnd you won't answer a simple question about sea level in the last 30 years. You're just weaseling, because you know it's a hoax too and rather than admit you're being lied to, you're going to try to save some face with the smoke and mirrors. But whatever you do, don't misquote what I said.

By the way, I'm not the one making this argument. Yes, I understand it's an ocean, which obviously begs the question why do you all talk about the arctic ice caps melting and sea levels rising all of the time?

20. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    It is really quite simple

- CO2 in the atmosphere has almost doubled in the past 150 years or so.
    - the additional CO2 highly correlates with the incremental CO2 release caused by man made activities.
    - CO2 (and methane) are greenhouse gases, and cause the atmosphere to warm. If there were no CO2, the earth would be something like 60 degrees cooler, and uninhabitable.
    - Water is a condensable greenhouse gas. As temperatures warm, more water vapor resides in the atmosphere, which further accelerates warming.
    - there have been no other phenomena that can explain the warming of the last 150 years.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1