Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

July 4th was the hottest day ever

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by rivergator, Jul 5, 2023.

1. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    I can't speak to the 'ever' claim or what it was like around the world. I can, however, personally confirm that it was really hot here in Jacksonville.

The planet saw its hottest day ever this week. The record will be broken again and again | CNN

2. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    It's happening a lot sooner than forecast. It really feels like true catastrophe, whatever form it takes through so many extreme weather events and heat domes, is upon us. Wife and I talk about all the time

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. gatorchamps960608

gatorchamps960608 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 4, 2020
    Poppycock. Next you're going to tell me that Covid vaccines worked. Sheesh.

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Like Like x 2
  4. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Temperatures aren't real, prove me wrong?

Thermometers are tools of the liberal media?

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  5. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Let me tell you about a friend of a friend...

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Well, I guess maybe moving to northern Minnesota wasn't such a bad thing after all. o_O

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  7. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    If they won't publicly debate you, it's because they know they're wrong

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    yeah, but it snowed somewhere on the planet! ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  9. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    Been on the Panhandle the past 7-8 days. Been brutal with very few clouds and even less rain. Not even the afternoon pop-up shower. Kinda weird.

10. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Sen. James Inhofe, from Wiki

In 2012, Inhofe's The Greatest Hoax: How the Global Warming Conspiracy Threatens Your Future was published by WorldNetDaily Books, presenting his global warming conspiracy theory.[148] He has said that, because "God's still up there", the "arrogance of people to think that we, human beings, would be able to change what He is doing in the climate is to me outrageous",[149][150][151] but also that he appreciates that this argument is unpersuasive, and that he has "never pointed to Scriptures in a debate, because I know this would discredit me."

As Environment and Public Works chairman, Inhofe gave a two-hour Senate floor speech on July 28, 2003, in the context of discussions on the McCain-Lieberman Bill.[152] He said he was "going to expose the most powerful, most highly financed lobby in Washington, the far left environmental extremists", and laid out in detail his opposition to attribution of recent climate change to humans, using the word "hoax" four times, including the statement that he had "offered compelling evidence that catastrophic global warming is a hoax" and his conclusion that "manmade global warming is the greatest hoax ever perpetrated on the American people".[153][154] He supported what he called "sound science", citing contrarian scientists such as Patrick Michaels, Fred Singer, Richard Lindzen and Sallie Baliunas as well as some mainstream scientists. Two of these, Tom Wigley and Stephen Schneider, later issued statements that Inhofe had misrepresented their work.[154][155]

On July 29, the day after his Senate speech, Inhofe chaired an Environment and Public Works hearing with contrarian views represented by Baliunas and David Legates, and praised their "1,000-year climate study", then involved in the Soon and Baliunas controversy, as "a powerful new work of science". Against them, Michael E. Mann defended mainstream science and specifically his work on reconstructions (the hockey stick graph) that they and the Bush administration disputed.[152][156] During the hearing Senator Jim Jeffords read out an email from Hans von Storch saying he had resigned as editor-in-chief of the journal that published the Soon and Baliunas paper, as the peer review had "failed to detect significant methodological flaws in the paper" and the critique by Mann and colleagues was valid.[156][157]

In a continuation of these themes, Inhofe had a 20-page brochure published under the Seal of the United States Senate reiterating his "hoax" statement and comparing the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) to a "Soviet style trial". In a section headed "The IPCC Plays Hockey" he attacked what he called "Mann's flawed, limited research."[158][159] The brochure restated themes from Inhofe's Senate speech, and in December 2003 he distributed copies of it in Milan at a meeting about the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change, where he met "green activists" with posters quoting him as saying that global warming "is the greatest hoax ever perpetrated on the American people". He signed a poster for them,[144] and thanked them for quoting him correctly. In an October 2004 Senate speech he said, "Global warming is the greatest hoax ever perpetrated on the American people. It was true when I said it before, and it remains true today. Perhaps what has made this hoax so effective is that we hear over and over that the science is settled and there is a consensus that, unless we fundamentally change our way of life by limiting greenhouse gas emissions, we will cause catastrophic global warming. This is simply a false statement."[158][160] In January 2005 Inhofe told Bloomberg News that global warming was "the second-largest hoax ever played on the American people, after the separation of church and state", and that carbon dioxide would not be restricted by the Clear Skies Act of 2003.[161][162][163] In a Senate Floor "update", he extended his argument against Mann's work by extensively citing Michael Crichton's fictional thriller State of Fear, mistakenly describing Crichton as a "scientist".[164][165] On August 28, 2005, at Inhofe's invitation, Crichton appeared as an expert witness at a hearing on climate change, disputing Mann's work.[158]

Jim Inhofe - Wikipedia

11. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    Don't suppose Inhofe thinks we could pollute rivers and lakes after God created them either, huh? We can certainly disagree on many of the cause/effect aspects of this but it takes a special kind of WTF? to think climate is immune to impact because "God's still up there"

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. slocala

slocala VIP Member

Jan 11, 2009
    The good thing is we know how to warm it up during the next ice age.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    Guess we can count on some severe volcanic activity in the coming years...you know...when the earth's AC kicks in?

(....hmmmm....can't wait to hear how the neo-progs spin that, as an excuse to expand government and encroach on our freedoms...oh joy!).

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    What about my freedom to not boil alive when working outside everyday now? Or are companies turning profits a more important freedom?

15. obgator

obgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Must be fake news because I found an ice cube in my freezer

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  16. duggers_dad

duggers_dad GC Hall of Fame

Jan 5, 2022
    It was an unusually June in Charlotte. We had highs in the sixties some days. Yes, the heat is finally here.

17. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Don't look up.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. snatchmagnet

snatchmagnet Bring On The Bacon Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Parts Unknown
    Yikes. How’s that feel in February?

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Sohogator

Sohogator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 22, 2012
    Coming soon to a grocery store near you.

'A Wake Up Call': The World Needs to Prepare for Massive Crop Failure

The researchers analyzed climate models and observational data from 1960 and 2014 and then looked at future projections between 2045 and 2099. By analyzing the data, they found that a changing jet stream has contributed to crop failure in the past. Jet streams are air currents that change weather patterns around the world. But many scientists have observed that climate change is changing how jet streams move, which could challenge crop-growingregions around the world. Climate models are equipped to show those changes in the atmosphere, but these models cannot always show how it affects conditions on the ground.

The study explains that under a high emissions scenario, a “strongly meandering jet stream” or a wavy jet stream could actually trigger some of these lower crop yield events worldwide. Data showed the researchers that years with “more than one wave event” often lead regional crop yields to drop up to 7%. They also found that agricultural regions in Eastern Europe, East Asia, and North America were likely to be impacted by these events. The study referenced a heat wave that significantly hurt agriculture in Russia back in 2010. The high temperatures that year were connected to a shift in the jet stream, according to the researchers.

• Informative Informative x 2
  20. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Brutal, but it's blissful during summer. Windows are all open at the moment. 80 yesterday and 71 today. The big lake acts like a giant air conditioner, so it might be 90 in Minneapolis and 70 here. Winters, though, are cold, wet, and long. 130" of snow this year . . . a record. o_O

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1