Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

July 21, 2024 was the hottest day ever (updated date)

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by rivergator, Jul 5, 2023.

1. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Apr 26, 2007
    So because human civilization only goes back 10k years means that man can't be the main driver of the current warming?

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  2. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    No. Because the earth has been having climate change for millions of years without man. Add man, still climate change.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  3. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Not so fast, Ron. Those numbers are misleading. While certainly better than if the reef coverage was declining, that only tells part of the story. A large number of coral species have disappeared from the Great Barrier Reef and are being replaced by a few species that spread and provide cover very quickly, but also die off quickly. To suggest the Reef is out of danger isn't exactly stupid, but it does demonstrate a very shallow understanding of a very complicated ecosystem.

4. mrhansduck

mrhansduck GC Hall of Fame

Nov 23, 2021
    Doesn't look verified yet and it's obviously fairly shallow water, but this is hot either way.

Florida Keys water temperature reaches over 100°

OMAHA, Neb. (WOWT) - On Monday, July 24th at 6:00 p.m. The Manatee Bay buoy recorded a sea surface temperature of 101.1° F. If verified, this would break the standing world record for hottest sea surface temperature of 99.7° F recorded in Kuwait Bay.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. littlebluelw

littlebluelw GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
  6. mrhansduck

mrhansduck GC Hall of Fame

Nov 23, 2021
  7. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

Show me where I said it’s out of danger and I’ll apologize. Look, it’s ok to admit that scientists got it wrong on predicting that the Great Barrier Reef would be contracting. It’s great news that it’s expanding. Some people are so set in their ways that they look dumb saying this isn’t great news.

And I love the “misleading” part. Good try. Swing and a miss!

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    You really think we are the driving factor in climate?

Beam me up! LOL!

My guess is you could not name the most abundant green house gas in the atmosphere without looking it up…

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. dangolegators

Apr 26, 2007
    Some fine logic there. That's like saying earth's been having forest fires for millions of years without man. Add man, still forest fires. Therefore man can't be a major cause of forest fires.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. dangolegators

Apr 26, 2007
    Man is the driving factor in the current rate of global warming.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. dynogator

dynogator VIP Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Indeed. Man didn't "invent," global climate cycles, but his contributions are definitely accelerating and amplifying current climate patterns. A volcano has no concept of degrading the environment; man does, and should be better than mindless natural phenomena.

• Creative Creative x 1
  12. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

That was a terrible analogy. Maybe that’s why you don’t understand that having the largest increase in coral in 40 years is a great thing. It’s absolutely nuts this is even a debate.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  13. dangolegators

Apr 26, 2007
    Why do you think it's a terrible analogy? Explain how it differs from global warming. Fires can be caused by natural phenomena like lightning and they can be caused by humans, just like global warming.

And you think we're debating whether or not the increase in the Great Barrier Reef in 2022 is a good thing? That's funny.

14. Sohogator

Sohogator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 22, 2012
    Well there’s some good news with man made global warming. We’re going to get it over with quickly. Hope I can eke out 30 years so I don’t have to deal with it

A crucial system of ocean currents is heading for a collapse that 'would affect every person on the planet' | CNN

They found “early warning signals” of critical changes in the AMOC, which led them to predict “with high confidence” that it could shut down or collapse as early as 2025 and no later than 2095. The likeliest point of collapse is somewhere between 2039 and 2070, Ditlevsen said.

“It’s really scary,” he told CNN. “This is not something you would lightly put into papers,” he said, adding, “we’re very confident that this is a robust result.”

• Funny Funny x 2
  15. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

Yes we are. And man is affecting the climate, but you are just too far left to understand it is not a large portion.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. dangolegators

Apr 26, 2007
    You must have me confused for someone else. I haven't said anything about the Great Barrier Reef.

So are the vast majority of scientists who study climate too far to the left too?

• Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  17. enviroGator

enviroGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    I gave you a "Come on" because I'm sick and tired of conservatives trying to pass the buck on trying to make a difference (actually going worse than that and intentionally driving gas guzzling vehicles to "own the libs") because not everyone is zero carbon.

But to answer your question. What I personally have done since the 80's -

1. I now work from home. That takes one car off the road per day. Before that, I van pooled to work with about 10 other people. By van pooling w/ 10 people in a vehicle that got 15 mpg, it was the equivalent of us all driving cars that got 150 mpg. It saved us all lots of money, and it saved the environment lots of CO2.

2. At home we keep our thermostat on 62 in the winter and 82 in the summer. We also have a VERY well insulated house and have power usages that is in the bottom 1/4 for houses of our size. Guess what... it saves us a lot of money and the environment a lot of CO2.

We would have had solar installed years ago, but our house is in the woods and not situated well for solar. So no solar for us. But we have protected our little 5 acres of woods which help cut down on both our heating and cooling needs while giving nature a place to flourish.

3. We reduce/re-use/recycle as much as possible. As a "true conservative" we are very much a waste not want not couple. Guess what. It saves us a lot of money and the environment a lot of CO2.

4. We decided to only have 1 kid. Ultimately, human over population will be the end of us all, so we are doing our "ultimate" part by not contributing to that problem. And guess what it has saved us a lot of money!

So, in closing, I have done WAY more than you... and it has saved me a lot of money.

How is that for owning the pubs! lolz

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  18. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala

Most arrogant/ignorant thing I may have ever seen posted on too hot.

Seriously!

***and it tells me you have no clue what the most abundant greenhouse gas in the atmosphere is***

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    You are the outlier. Both sides have them…

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    so, you put yourself on ignore. smart

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1