Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Judge orders Trump to pay nearly $355 million in civil fraud trial

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by StrangeGator, Feb 16, 2024.

1. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    He can anyone want this guy handling our Nation’s money????

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  2. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    I completely agree that he will not voluntarily pay a dime.

If he bonds off the judgment, then it’s pretty simple. NY (and in the case of Carroll) simply take the bond. It’s pretty easy.

If he doesn’t, he’ll have a tough time avoiding the execution in his assets and the Company assets. For example, NY will garnish his bank accounts, stock accounts, and likely ask the Court to simply sell his stock on the Trump Companies to pay off the judgment.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. okeechobee

okeechobee GC Hall of Fame

Sep 11, 2022
    Considering that your accusation is that he falsified records to obtain loans and he actually PAID those loans in full despite the alleged fraud, I'd say he's pretty qualified to handle our money. Much more so than Robinette. But don't just take it from me:

Despite a growing economy and little opposition for his party’s nomination, President Joe Biden confronts a dissatisfied electorate and a challenging political climate nine months before he faces re-election, according to a new national NBC News poll.

Biden trails GOP presidential front-runner Donald Trump on major policy and personal comparisons, including by more than 20 points on which candidate would better handle the economy. And Biden’s deficit versus Trump on handling immigration and the border is greater than 30 points.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Gatoragman

Gatoragman GC Hall of Fame

Jan 4, 2008
    Not sure he would have to sell anything to get paid off, just do what Biden is doing with the student loan forgiveness.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  5. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    A few points: First, the DA ran a campaign against stomping out fraud. She has embarked upon a mission to do so.she has brought fraud suits against Venmo and Zelle, she has gone after law firms for promoting claims against Uber, amongst others. Did she gun for Trump? Sure, he’s a big, public target. Hitting him sends the broadest and loudest message possible.

As for the interest rates, I believe that NY introduced evidence as to what the rates he was charged should’ve been had he provided truthful financials, and so the record had the evidence.

And as to your point that the lenders wanted the big whale, I tend to agree with you in part (although I disagree with the comparison to Vegas, because the bigger the whale in Vegas, the more likely that whale will lose money and thus generate great revenue). I think the lenders in real estate generally want to ensure that the property has enough equity to capture the loan. But when you deal with the scale of projects that Trump engages, it is more complex, because banks are not in the business of operating real estate or selling real estate - they are on the business of managing money. Selling large scale properties is not an easy “snap your fingers” transaction. They need to have the security of income generation, for example.

I think — and the Judge even intimidated— had Trump defended the case by acknowledging the discrepancies, and providing truthful testimony, even when it might hurt his overall case, the results would be vastly different. But he double-downed in his fraud, accused everyone else of wrongdoing, and showed he had no regard whatsoever for the law, authority or truthfulness.

And if we are all being honest, that is who Trump is — never apologize, never admit mistake or error, and blame everyone else all the time.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    If you want a thief to handle your money … it’s a choice. I would prefer to have someone who won’t rip me off. But that’s me.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    So the Governor of New York is going to forgive the Trump debt? Unlikely.

• Winner Winner x 2
  8. okeechobee

okeechobee GC Hall of Fame

Sep 11, 2022
    Yes, the 81 year old Biden, who has been caught red-handed repeatedly plagiarizing speeches and lying materially about his resume. We can trust that guy. It's not like he'd let whoever come into our country, or send hundreds of billions of dollars of our money to an extremely corrupt country to fight a losing war.

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Whataboutism. Interesting.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. gaterzfan

gaterzfan GC Hall of Fame

Feb 6, 2020
    I'm surprised so many seemingly have no internal concept of the substantial difference between controls inherent to the various departments of the federal government (as bad as some may be) and the internal controls in a family-owned business.

11. mikemcd810

mikemcd810 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    This wasn't a failure of internal controls in the Trump organization, it was a strategic decision from the top of the house. That same person, as president, would be in a position to give direction that would override most (if not all) federal government controls.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  12. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I'm surprised people are still trying to invent excuses for Trump's fraudulent and illegal business practices.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. gatorchamps960608

gatorchamps960608 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 4, 2020
    Engeron denied Trump's request for a 30-day stay of his penalty payment. Predictably, Trump gave no legitimate reason for the delay.

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    The amount Trump's GoFundMe is raising barely covers his interest, which accrues daily at 9% APR... Love it ...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  15. gaterzfan

gaterzfan GC Hall of Fame

Feb 6, 2020
    Didn’t say it was a failure of internal controls in the family-owned Trump organization. It was the relative weakness or absence, especially when compared to a federal government agency. I just don’t see where a potus can override controls in an agency … ie Treasury Dept.

• Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  16. gatorchamps960608

Jul 4, 2020
    The clerk at Engeron's court finalized the judgment today. He currently owes $453M with interest accruing every day.

• Like Like x 4
  17. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    pony up suckers

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. gatorchamps960608

Jul 4, 2020
    Apparently, Trump also had his lawyers try to schedule a counteroffer hearing with Engeron this week. I pity the attorney that to tell Rapety Dumpty that that's not a thing.

• Funny Funny x 2
  19. vegasfox

vegasfox GC Hall of Fame

Feb 4, 2024
    The fine is excessive and violated the 8th amendment of the US Constitution.

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    While the amount may very well be reduced on appeal it's not a fine for punishing bad behavior but rather the clawing back of a fraudulently received benefit. The 8th Amendment concerns criminal penalties not damages in civil litigation even if one of the parties is the state.