Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Jeremiah Smith

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by candymanfromgc, Sep 22, 2023.

1. CaptUSMCNole

CaptUSMCNole Premium Member

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    Serious question for you: If I told you a UF just took a transfer from Penn State that had 300 yards and 2 TDS over the course of two years there, would you consider that a good take? Or would you think you just signed a third or fourth string RB they used in garbage time? That is not a lot of production over two years for a RB.

Have you watched Johnny Wilson play football? His hands were a major, major concern and still are. He had a little relapse at the start of the season where he had a case of the drops. Lucky he worked through it.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. CaptUSMCNole

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    You make it should like he was a cannnot miss prospect when he was a composite 3*, the #21 rated RB his year, and the #375 prospect nationally. He also had a very, very major knee injury. He tore his ACL, MCL, meniscus, and the tendon and loss over 20 pounds.

As I agreed with @apkgator about, RBs either have it or the don’t. Not a lot of coaching there. However, FSU S&C program did a lot for Benson.

3. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Your entire stance was the bulk of transfers were development guys. We have shown the exact opposite to be true. Lovett being injured has nothing to do with him coming to FSU needing development.
    Morlock has 19 catches at FSU this season....he caught more in both his fresh and soph seasons elsewhere. That's scheming to get him the ball and "develop" him? LOL
    OF course every school has them. But your argument that FSU developed most of these kids is patently false. It's not even remotely close. An overwhelming % arrived at FSU as productive college players. Period.

4. CaptUSMCNole

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    Actually my point that started this was that a lot of the core of the FSU team has come from high school recruiting. I have conceded that FSU took a lot of P5 ready talent in the portal but has also developed other talent they got in the portal.

I think the argument we are actually having is whether or not Norvell and his staff can develop talent versus just bringing it in from other programs. Jordan Travis and Johnny Wilson are two examples that show they can.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2023
  5. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2013
    Thats not true on my end. I've not said Norvell can't develop. I stated the overwhelming majority (contributors especially)of the team is upper classmen , and most of the stars and leaders are transfers. What iwas debating with you was you said "what many people are overblooking is that the transfers were developed by Norvell. I feel like the reason he brought them in(like Any team would) is because they have already been through the early development stage. Which after looking proved correct as most of the transfers came in from P5 schools with legitimate S&C programs. And most of them spent the 1st 2 years at that school, which is generally known that the 1st 2 years is the time you usually see the most development of college players.

• Like Like x 1
  6. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    Mods can we move fsu posts to an fsu recruiting thread or other schools' thread? Ordinarily I enjoy tangents but Jeremiah Smith deserves better.

• Agree x 6
    • Like x 4
    • Winner x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny x 1
  7. gator_n_sc

Oct 8, 2013
    I've never really talked this much with a Nole. Weird lol

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. CaptUSMCNole

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    I'll leave it at this as @fox has asked nicely to return this thread to J. Smith. Some of the transfers that turned into stars were very big question marks when they arrived at FSU with Wilson and Benson being two of them. If you want to continue to this discussion, we can take it over to the Non-gator recruiting thread.

• Like Like x 2
  9. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    Hit the showers, lol

I have a hunch Smith will be a Gator if Lagway stays in his ear until signing.

• Like Like x 4
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  10. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    yea i think Smith is firm to OSU but if he flips I would think if it’s a Florida school, it would be Florida before FSU and i know he not going to Miami

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  11. gator_n_sc

Oct 8, 2013
    I think Wilson performance being the rated among top true freshman WR this year will get his attention. Wilson is #18th in the nation and #1 among all freshman WRs in receptions per game with 6.4 catches a game. He has 502 yards on 58 rec for an avg of 6.4 and 6 TDs in 10 games.

I Imagine that can't hurt with Smith

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    If we can get the OL straight that would be an attractive proposition to play with Wilson (and Lagway). Wilson was also hurt and missed a game or two this season.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. severnt

severnt Junior

Feb 2, 2012
    Sorry to pile on FSU recruiting discussion in this thread, but what do you all think happened in the summer with the upgrade in FSU recruiting? Before that point, it seemed we really were going to recruit better than the other in-State schools and it might only be a year before we had a more talented roster... then BAM! FSU starts getting top commits and beginning a trend that is continuing through this cycle. Did they not have a NIL organization before summer? Were they not using it well? Did it get replaced or something like ours?

14. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    I’m thinking winning at FSU has helped create a buy in all around with NIL and it’s trickled down to recruiting

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Seems they used their cash in the transfer portal and have started investing in highschool players this year. They had cash flow alm along.

16. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    Its pretty simple isn't it? When I was 17 I wanted as much of cash, fly rides, and HoPOA as I could get my hands on, and winning wasn't bad either. Sadly I didn't have the a lot of the "talents" needed to get to much of any of the three :(

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    It's becoming a scam...

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. ETGator

ETGator Long-Time Gator Stuck In East Tennessee Moderator VIP Member

Sep 15, 2007
    Enough discussion of the SOW. They have their own boards (I think) to discuss their program but this is a Florida Gators board. Thanks.

• Fistbump/Thanks! x 7
    • Like x 4
    • Agree x 2
    • Winner x 2
    • Funny x 1
  19. grant1

grant1 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 10, 2009
    this is a Gator board where are of our recruits are can’t miss, don’t like it, leave

• Funny Funny x 3
  20. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    I don’t think Jeremiah Smith is a difference maker, but it would suck if he went to FSU.

• Funny Funny x 1