Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Is it still appropriate to fly an American Flag?

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by cflgator83, Aug 9, 2022.

1. phatGator

phatGator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2007
    Dayton, Ohio
    My dad once told me what the flag meant to him. He was returning from one of his bomber missions in World War II with one or two of his B-17 engines out. He struggled to keep the plane out of the English Channel and wasn’t sure that they would make it. But then through the mist the American flag of his base came into view and he knew they would survive. He said it felt as if the plane lifted as he saw the flag. When he told me that story, it was one of the very few times that I ever saw him tear up.

• Friendly x 5
    • Winner x 3
    • Like x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Best Post Ever x 1
  2. rtgator

rtgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I proudly have a small American flag on my front door. Proud in part because I served for 4 years as an officer in the U.S. Navy.

I regret, however, that many of those who wave American flags most aggressively have no clue what it means to be an American. For them, it's divisive, as if to say I'm an American and you're not.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  3. rtgator

rtgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    "What is your view on the flag now?"

You are not worthy of it.

• Winner Winner x 3
  4. rtgator

rtgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Geee. . . . Why would they think that???

FB_IMG_1631196823623.jpg

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. AndyGator

AndyGator VIP Member

Apr 10, 2007
    It's always appropriate to fly the flag if your are American. Fly it upside only if you anti-American.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. murphree_hall

murphree_hall VIP Member

Jul 11, 2019
    I do feel as though the flag has been co-opted by certain groups of people. The flag means a lot to me as a veteran, but I hesitate to display it in certain contexts because doing so these days implies a certain set of beliefs. Sad, but real. When I see a flag flying in certain situations… like on a lifted pickup truck… I make assumptions about the general views of the individual, right or wrong.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  7. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I'm so old that I remember when conservative meant loyalty to the Constitution and the rule of law. Now, the first loyalty of a lot of Americans who refer to themselves as conservatives is to a deluded narcissist who refuses to accept the fact that he lost a free and fair election rather than to the Constitution and the rule of law and very often they also express an affinity for displaying the flag of a region of America involved in an insurrection that resulted in the deaths of hundreds of thousands of Americans the goal of which was to preserve an extremely cruel system of involuntary hereditary servitude.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. rtgator

rtgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    From this . . . .

Screenshot_20220809-144251_Amazon Shopping.jpg

To this . . . .

FB_IMG_1644784759543.jpg

Disgraceful.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  9. murphree_hall

murphree_hall VIP Member

Jul 11, 2019
    I obviously wasn’t around in the lead up to the Civil War, but I wonder if this is what it felt like. Feels like some people really want it.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    My first instinct would be to say no, that this is mostly just bored and immature people thinking about how fun it would be to be part of something exciting that shows up in a history book. But then I remember the story of people showing up at the First Battle of Bull Run to picnic and watch, so maybe.

11. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

That cant be. I read on a certain site that the left leaning mods of this forum only purge conservative threads. ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    Can it wait for the “2024 National Champions” edition?

• Like Like x 1
  13. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    It seems some have a fetish for some kind of wet dream than involves a civil war in which the maga mob either kills off or imprisons anyone who disagrees with them and they can then live happily ever after in some kind of neofascist authoritarian theocracy. It isn't and never would be that simple, in spite of their fantasies.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    They do want it. They don't want democracy anymore. They don't have to say it. They want a strongman, particularly if he's orange, hence their absolute fealty to the Moron of Mar-a-Lago.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    My dad was a medic in WWII (Germany). Never talked about the war, the sacrifices he made, friends who never came home, the carnage he saw daily, etc.

Wish I had tried harder when he was alive to pry it out of him, but I wanted to respect his privacy.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  16. ridgetop

ridgetop GC Hall of Fame

Aug 4, 2020
    Top of the ridge
    What the hell….
    I am a strong conservative in my values and beliefs and I find the OP disgraceful and disheartening. I have much harsher… and shorter… I’d like to use but I cannot right now.
    I will fly the Stars and Stripes with Pride. We are not a perfect country and have never claimed to be. There will be things I like and things I don’t like but I will not throw a temper tantrum and show the world my ass when I don’t get my way.

• Like Like x 11
  17. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I know olivia newton john died yesterday. I'm guessing something else happened that I missed?

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    I wasn't either, but in contrast, Lawrence, KS was sacked by a pro-slavery militia in the run up to the Civil War which set off a violent border war between Missouri/Kansas as well as open violence on the Senate floor when Preston Brooks nearly killed Charles Sumner. This eventually led to the election of Lincoln, Kansas becoming a free state, and the secession crisis.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. G8tas

G8tas GC Hall of Fame

Sep 22, 2008

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    I must have been drunk

• Funny Funny x 2