Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Is he getting new orders from his bosses...

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gatorchamps960608, Jun 29, 2024.

1. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    The point stands whether you can understand it or accept it or not: The D party did not make you do anything. Granted both parties have issues, but to suggest that your choices and behaviors are the responsibility of others is just lame. Own your stuff.

2. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    The fascinating part of this resentment is that Democrats have never aimed to build resentment against people in rural, conservative areas as a campaign strategy the way that Republicans have always attempted to directly cause their voters to look down on Democrats. I have lived in red states and blue states. Whenever I have lived in blue states, I have never seen a television ad for a political candidate saying how terrible their opponent is because they have "Alabama values" or "Mississippi values." Meanwhile, when I live in red states, I get to hear all about how you can't vote for this Democrat or that Democrat because they have "California values" or "New York values" or "Chicago values" or *insert biggest city in the state* values.

Which then makes one wonder if it is that they are being "ignored" or if they feel that they are being ignored explicitly because Democrats want to not ignore the "others."

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  3. phatGator

phatGator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2007
    Dayton, Ohio
    I did hear a lot of that kind of stuff when I lived in Berkeley. “Southern” was a pejorative.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Really? Can you show me the advertisement or speech from a political candidate in which they accused their opponent of being too "Southern?"

5. phatGator

Dec 3, 2007
    Dayton, Ohio
    I do own my stuff, and I hope you do too of your own stuff. Why do you think I was describing me? I was talking about people who vote for Trump. I have never voted for Trump.

6. phatGator

Dec 3, 2007
    Dayton, Ohio
    I was referring to the speech of people that I happened to know there. I never heard that in an advertisement or speech in reference to a political opponent, because there were no conservative politicians in Berkeley when I lived there. It was Democrats and then people further left.

7. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Heck, half the time, Republican primaries in deep red areas contain these sorts of insults. I'll point out that you never heard it in an advertisement or speech from a political candidate from the Democratic Party, whereas, I could provide examples of politicians from the Republican Party doing exactly that. To wit:

John Cornyn goes on attack against challenger MJ Hegar in homestretch of U.S. Senate race

So tell me again why Republican voters spend substantial energy on getting back at the politicians who don't actively insult them while Democratic voters don't spend all their time trying to get back at the politicians who actually do insult them.

If you want, I'll give you another example too: the prevalence of the term "real American" on the political right, including in speeches and advertisements. Think about the insulting implications of that term. Have you heard one of those Berkely politicians claim that Alabamans aren't real Americans?

Last edited: Jul 1, 2024 at 3:24 PM
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    When was this? The south was Democratic territory until George W Bush. Clinton won Southern states in the 90s. I dont think Democrats were in the habit of disparaging "Southerners" broadly since that was basically their voting base until recently.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  9. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    As a bleeding heart liberal wishing to improve the lives of all Americans, I used to be in favor of rural internet expansion.

That was a mistake.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    You've made a lot of good points, some I agree with and some not so much...:cool:
    To begin with, isn't that always true? Sure, if the Democrats had run someone more people related to, they would have won instead of Trump. But if the Republicans had run someone other than Trump, maybe they would have won.
    You can make that case every election ... And the White House changing parties in 2016 is kind of the way it's been going. Republican, then Democrat, then Republican ...
    But I don't think there's any question that Trump became a kind of avenging angel (or warrior) who was going to go get those people - whoever they thought their enemies were. Immigrants certainly topped the list. That's why they seem to relish his sophomoric insults of so many others.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  11. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    That and the trauma some of them experienced from having a black man in the white house for 8 years. Some of them will never get over that.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
  12. gatorchamps960608

gatorchamps960608 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 4, 2020
    Your 2017 talking points have been debunked.

The deplorables aren't socioeconomically disadvantaged outcasts. Lots of them have plenty of money. They are racist, homophobic and xenophobic whites that want to be first at the trough for any national advantages like they had growing up in the 50s and early 60s.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  13. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    Keep going with that attitude and see where it gets us.

14. gatorjo

gatorjo GC Hall of Fame

Feb 24, 2024
    If we keep negatively characterizing the people who are willing to vote for a twice-impeached, convicted felon, adulterous, racist rapist, who accepted election help from Russia, stole and refused to return classified documents, and enacted a criminal conspiracy to overturn an election, then........

......those people will vote for a twice-impeached, convicted felon, adulterous, racist rapist, who accepted election help from Russia, stole and refused to return classified documents, and enacted a criminal conspiracy to overturn an election?

Last edited: Jul 1, 2024 at 11:45 PM
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    You must do a lot of cut and paste. No way you actually type out you mantra every time your post.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2024 at 1:49 AM
  16. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    You're right that things didn't happen in a vacuum. I don't know what would have happened in 2016 if Hillary wasn't the nominee. But I do know that the Republicans had other options. They chose Trump. And yeah, unfortunately for many of us, he won. But he lost in 2020, and they still overwhelmingly picked him in 2024. If Republicans don't like him, they need to fix it. It's not my house. I can't help get it in order.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. gatorjo

gatorjo GC Hall of Fame

Feb 24, 2024
    Wow, that was extremely clever. Cut and paste.

But yes, actually I DID do cut and paste. And it highlights how absurd your point is. Actually though, do you even HAVE a point?

Don't be mean to the supporters of a traitor criminal? But you imply some consequences....and my cut and paste seemed to perfectly demonstrate your lack of a point or logic.

Do I have it wrong though? Care to explain?

18. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    With the exception of Jimmy Carter in 1976, Democratic presidential candidates lost almost every presidential election in the states of the old Confederacy since 1964. Even though Clinton did better than other Democrats he still lost Mississippi, Alabama, Florida, North and South Carolina and Virginia in 1992 and in 1996 while winning Florida he lost Georgia as well as the same states that he lost in 1992. Also in most if the Southern states as the old Dixiecrats who were nominally Democrats died off or retired they were replaced by Republicans in the House and Senate. As a point of information today is the 60th anniversary of the signing of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. When the Act was signed President Johnson was quoted as stating something to the effect that the Democratic Party had lost the votes of white Southerners for the next 50 years. It's been 60 years now and Republicans who are the new Dixiecrats still receive a majority of votes of white Southerners.

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    Point is you’re a broken record literally posting the same schitck 20 times a day.

Sorry I had to dumb it down for you everyone else gets it.

20. rtgator

rtgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    You guys never get tired of making up total BS. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1