Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Is Fan apathy setting in?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gatorzilla91, Mar 8, 2023.

1. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    We had 88k last year. I guess we yell more and sit down less if it’s a good game. But I only go to good games.

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    My parents buy season tickets but I sit in better seats and only attend good games. They are giving a few games back this year and they offered them to me first. If I lived in Gainesville , sure I guess but I’m not driving five hours to watch that crap. Play real teams or . … I dunno, call it an exhibition.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    And that two and a half minute click at games seems to go off every few minutes. That’s a king time to stop the flow of a game. It’s tge damn commercials fouling up the game, not the rules.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. chuikov

chuikov VIP Member

Jan 2, 2021
    Apathy: truly embarrassing FB and Hoops programs when in the rear view mirror stand Steve Spurrier, Urban Meyer and Billy Donovan. And when you can legally buy teams it appears UF is on food stamps.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Daytona Beach
    I remember that game also !!! Just run the freakin ball.

6. chuikov

chuikov VIP Member

Jan 2, 2021
    Beg to differ. The only way to measure the excitement of 06 is to win another and then make observations.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. ShadowCat

ShadowCat All American

Jan 6, 2015
    It has not been this way before, kids getting paid more than coaches.

8. 2oldgator

2oldgator GC Legend

Jul 14, 2021
    Dunnellon fl
    I reduced my number of season tickets from 4 to 2 last year after 30 plus years of buying 4. The games I didn’t choose to attend would go to my kids or grandkids, but they don’t always want them. Only my oldest son of my 3 children and 6 grandchildren has the level of interest that I do and he almost always wants to go. My wife is down to one game a year.
    Easier for me to attend than you Wanne15. I’m only about 35 minutes and 3 traffic lights away from the light at SR 121 and I-75 from my house just north of Dunnellon. From there the last 4 miles or so depends on traffic.
    I used to attend the cupcake games just to see different players get into the games but under Muschamp and Mac there were no guarantees we would even win those games, much less empty the bench. Hope that’s changing with CBN.

9. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

We did win another - try again

10. FusionGator

FusionGator Senior

Nov 15, 2015
    NIL is terrible for college football. Because of it, we don't have recruiting or a draft. Instead, we now have an auction.

To make matters worse, coaches are working their tails off trying to recruit and then some wealthy fan/booster is throwing financial offers and mudding up the waters. That has to be a terrible environment for coaches to deal with.

And, no, this isn't the same as what used to go on but just in the op
    I live outside of Gainesville, have been season ticket holder for over 25 years. I had 4 tickets and had Champions Club tickets since it opened. Last season we did not renew our tickets and it was the first time that I did not attend any football games in a season since 1991.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    I’m with you and I’d take my parents tickets if I lived close. It usually costs me about 2k for traveling to Gainesville for the weekend though and I want a real game to watch for that much money. The ticket prices on top of my travel is not that big of a deal really once I’ve already dropped all that cash.

12. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    How much really doesn’t matter. They have been buying recruiting classes all along. The big difference to me is we now have free agency with no binding contracts. LOI is meaningless.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    I was literally upset until probably Thursday. We’ve gotten so used to losing, throwing shoes, making tackles 20 yards downfield and celebrating that I expect the dumbshit to happen and don’t get nearly as upset.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

2-night minimums at ridiculously priced hotels really drives up the cost of attending a game. That’s a bigger gripe for me than the ticket prices

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Exactly and with kids and eating out for at least 48 hrs, it adds up quick.

16. GatorTheo

GatorTheo Junior

Jun 22, 2007
    I think this has been going on for a while. The generation that drove the growth is starting to fade and newer generations have less loyalty and shorter attention spans. I think it's only going to get worse as players transition from family members to mercenaries.

On the good side, it'll be easier to find affordable tickets.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. ShadowCat

ShadowCat All American

Jan 6, 2015
    We haven't gone to a game since the 2008 season... not just the cost, but they never had night games back then and darn if I am sitting in the sun all day. I am a lazy Gator now and I like the couch, a private bathroom available as needed, a pause button for the game, and all the snacks I could desire...

Plus when we lose, I don't have a 30 minute walk to the car then a 2 hour drive home to stew on it. Sure I will miss any great exciting game, but playing the odds of that happening I am fine sitting on the couch nowadays.

18. Tolbert1906

Tolbert1906 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    United States
    I'm one of those. I do keep up with Florida football, but I don't usually watch the games live anymore. I'll record them and watch bits and pieces of the games later. I fast forward through a lot of it (especially when the defense is on the field), just because it's so hard to enjoy watching football played at such a bad level.

I honestly get more enjoyment watching the better teams play. I was more excited watching Georgia/Ohio State than any of our games (although the final result was horrible).

Last edited: Mar 11, 2023
  19. Porschegator

Porschegator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 15, 2016
    Canton Ohio
    When the football team ends up around 38th and the basketball team around 45th, there isn't much to get excited about. I'm a UF fan and always will be but it sure isn't as much fun as it used to be.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. gatortenor37

gatortenor37 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 29, 2016
    Arkansas
    A fan has but one job. Cheer for their team whenever they play.
    If you’re upset with the current climate of building our teams, I am with you 100%. But I’ll never stop rooting for us and being a Gator.
    I bleed Orange and Blue! Go Gators!

• Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Best Post Ever x 1