Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Is Fan apathy setting in?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gatorzilla91, Mar 8, 2023.

1. nawlinsgator

nawlinsgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    You think Georgia fans are watching less college football the last two years? They are killing it in this new environment. We aren’t.

2. malscott

malscott GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    West Hills, Ca
    A bit late to the conversation but...

Not crazy about sports quite as much these days. I got kind of down on the kids back a decade or two ago when everyone was getting arrested. Seemed like there were just too many thugs/chumps. While this never represented the whole team or the whole football landscape, we had to pretend it wasn't as bad as it was. A lot of these kids could give a crap about the school-that really pissed me off. Now getting paid... if they act that way, drop-kick their asses out!

The Rashada thing really soured me this year. Mostly because there were people barking at him and changing up the whole deal. And HE lost out, (freaking big-time) and so did we. I'm glad that episode is over. The NCAA, Mega conferences and NIL ... whatever. Time will tell.

The good news currently, is we have a classy coach(s). We have a great group of kids that are invested in their future and the program. And, most of these kids are students! What I mean is they are doing well in school, and in many cases, exceptionally well. They have brought back the 'student' in 'student athlete' and that is a refreshing change.

The 90's were unreal during the Spurrier years. The Tebow years were insane.

From my seat, Billy appears to be building the foundation to replicate some of that former glory. Not just with the athletes, but with a different tone, one of accountability and brotherhood.

We shall see. But right now we don't have much information to go on. A few practices, Spring break, then the slow build up to the OB Spring Game. It all has my attention, but I can only read the same articles so many times...

"...the Swamp, where only Gators get out alive!" I look forward to that first kickoff. Won't be any apathy or lethargy from this Gator.

Go Gators.:eek::D

• Like Like x 8
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 2
  3. FusionGator

FusionGator Senior

Nov 15, 2015
    I noticed some apathy or change in Tebow's last year. The hype before the season was real and the Gators were sure to play in the national title game in California. The Bull Gators booked their flights before the season. They also had all of the booster tickets locked up.

Well, it didn't work out and we played Cincinnati instead. It was disappointing and practically the only interest in the game was Tebow's last game.

Suddenly, with low interest from the Bull Gators, the ticket office practically began begging the rest of us to buy bowl tix.

But something happened then. Many fans realized they could buy tix from stubhub and get better seats. And they could cherry pick games during the season get good seats, and do it cheaper than the cost of the upper booster levels.

Many also realized that with the savings they could buy a new large screen TV and set up a great viewing experience. Booster fees and/or ticket prices were climbing practically every season.

This set of events, to me, was the beginning of behavior changes from fans.

Speaking of experience, I found myself becoming involved in my phone more and more at games over the years. It's not that I didn't have interest in the game. It's because I was looking for the replay that wasn't shown in The Swamp. Or, I was texting a friend to find out why a player suddenly wasn't in the game to find out they were injured, looking for more stats, etc. There were plenty of folks older than me doing the same thing.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. senecagator

senecagator Sophomore

Nov 22, 2022
    Between NIL and the current transfer rules, the pride in playing for the Gators seems to have taken a huge hit with high school athletes. Likewise, my passion for college football in general and Florida football specifically has also taken a hit.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  5. 2oldgator

2oldgator GC Legend

Jul 14, 2021
    Dunnellon fl
    Adding insult to injury, the producers load more commercials at the end of the movie or program knowing that if you made it that far you’re going to hang around for the ending.
    Unconscionable Jackwagons!

• Like Like x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  6. MCB51

MCB51 Moderator

Nov 23, 2015
    FL
    I hear what you are saying..tickets and booster fees have pretty much stayed the same over the past several years
    Booster fees help keep the program solvent...so I don't mind contributing

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Daytona Beach
    I have lost interest in football and basketball! Just thinking about that yesterday. I didn’t even watch the SEC Tournament game with State. I later saw the score and didn’t even react. I can’t believe this has happened to me . I would never miss any games in the past but it just doesn’t seem like I care. Same way in football season. We lose and within a couple minutes I’m doing something else. At 70 years old I am turning into a normal human ???
    I still have interest in baseball so at least that is ok .

Last edited: Mar 10, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Daytona Beach
    You are so right Doctor! NIL and portal just turns me off . That probably has as much to do with that than anything else

• Like Like x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  9. missourigator

missourigator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    If we were winning you won't care about NIL

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
  10. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Daytona Beach
    I think you are wrong Mizzou guy

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. missourigator

Apr 13, 2007
    Actually, I am from Miami only work in Missouri.

12. missourigator

Apr 13, 2007
    But I did spend 10 years in Gainesville.

13. scooterp

scooterp GC Hall of Fame

Feb 15, 2012
    Sounds more like a YOU problem. The dozens upon dozens of responses in this one thread suggests you are wrong.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

well you’re still wrong

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. GatorBowl1969

GatorBowl1969 Senior

Jul 4, 2011
    Bullshiite

• Like Like x 1
  16. ShadowCat

ShadowCat All American

Jan 6, 2015
    No, NIL isn ruining my interest in the sport. The fact some unproven player like Rashada may be offered a contract for 13 million (more than any of our coaches besides Napier) and most likely more than most of our proven upperclassmen players, is utterly ridiculous.

Outside of the ridiculous nature of paying someone lands of money who hasn't taken a snap in college yet, it also foreshadows total destruction in the locker room as animosity grows between the haves and have not on the team, or proven players not getting the big deals high school players are getting.

Utterly ridiculous.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    They are in a very short list. If buying national championship la are tge only way to be financ viable, not many will survive. That’s not the answer. We just need hope. When all hope is lost, it’ll come down.

18. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Yet that’s been happening. I’d like to see the actual benefits they’ve been getting all along.

19. missourigator

Apr 13, 2007
    Just a small sample to say I am wrong. Of course, millions thought Galileo was wrong. Wait (if) we start winning and see.

20. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    I use to be mad for 3-4 days. That game against auburn where sos kept calling those long interceptions when we had the game won at halftime and lost, just run the effing ball. I almost had a coronary. I’m over it too I guess. I watch but it’s just not that important. They sit the bowls and protect their health. If they don’t care, I guess I don’t either.

• Agree Agree x 1