Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Is Billy one of the HC’s with the most to prove this season?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by 62gator, Jun 13, 2023.

1. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Tampa, FL
    This article suggests Billy is one of the HC’s with the most to prove this season. If it’s based solely on wins/losses, stock up on Tums, imho. Thoughts?

https://247sports.com/longformartic...h-most-to-prove-during-2023-season-211214776/

In year 2, move forward, show some marked improvement, across the board. Be competitive, in every game. Tighten up the game day staff decision making. I’m a Billy guy, he’s probably gonna have to find away to make some chicken salad this season though. Another middling year will not be very well received, imho.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  2. kes

kes GC Hall of Fame

May 26, 2007
    DeLand, FL
    I suspect he will stick with the plan. I don’t see him panicking and veering much. Pressure and noise may get patchy but I think he stays the course and prepares for a great ‘24.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  3. scooterp

scooterp GC Hall of Fame

Feb 15, 2012
    I totally agree… and I’m a big time Billy guy. The only thing I get frustrated with is the win/loss litmus test everyone wants to draw a line in the sand on. Just show improvement. And give us hope. That is all I ask.

He has made (or been behind) more off field improvements than the last 3 coaches combined… x10! I keep hearing the bitching about Kelly/LSU and Riley/USC …but it seems like more of “this” years fix, or “next” fix, not long term. I could be wrong, but I feel this is what we needed.

• Agree x 4
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Winner x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • Optimistic x 1
  4. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Most to prove? Nope. The most to prove is us fans. We have to learn that we can't always get what we want NOW. Nothing is going to change, regime-wise, after this year or next.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  5. Porschegator

Porschegator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 15, 2016
    Canton Ohio
    I completely agree but unfortunately you are judged my the media, press and practically everyone else by your won loss record. Wasn't it AL Davis that said, "Just win baby "

6. eastowest

eastowest GC Hall of Fame

May 13, 2007
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 4
  7. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Either he's going to master the type of offensive scheme that Bama played about 15 years ago, or he will need a new scheme and OC in 2024.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. garettk

garettk GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2008
    Mayo, FL
    Show me a team with some fight and team-first attitude, along with some better clock management. Would also like to see some special teams improvement. Those will go a long ways in my opinion to demonstrate growth in CBN and the program.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. tigator2019

tigator2019 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 25, 2018
    In my head--- UF
    Has to win 7. So yes lots to (im)prove.

Clock management
    Time outs
    Prove he knows how to manage and use TEs

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  10. MaceoP

MaceoP GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    IMO, we have our coach until he proves otherwise. I like the direction of the team and how the program is being run. I've always said that after year 2 we will have a better idea of where the program is heading (not whether we should keep CBN or not). This upcoming year, I would like to see a better and more functional D, and also much better WR play.
    Our W-L record could be anywhere from 6 to 9 wins. We have a very questionable situation at QB. Mertz could play lights out and win more than we expect, or he can fizzle (or get injured) in which case our backup situation is tenuous at best.
    We need to be patient with CBN and get off this train of 3 years and a new coach. Hopefully long term he will be the one.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Jimbo is the one. Has worse won loss record than predecessor and actually worse than LSU and UF football coaches that were fired the previous year. He needs to do much better this year.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Fresno, CA
    In short, yes, he is.

13. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Fresno, CA
    Add to that, when NOT to go for it on 4th down; I expect better decision making than one might see, say, from a teenager on PlayStation with no real consequences for his choices.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    You go for for it on fourth down when your defense gives up a td almost every possession.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  15. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Fresno, CA
    That's a consideration, sure. But there were times he went on fourth when he should have taken the FG or played field position with a punt. The most glaring example was during the Kentucky game last year. Without going back and watching that debacle again, Kentucky did not so much win as we lost through a series of head-scratching decisions on offense that were overly aggressive and delivered Kentucky an easy set of options to play tight and let us lose.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Yeah, if we didn’t go for it so many times against Tennessee we would not have even been close to making it a game. You have to have a functional defence and a quarterback that can run a two minute drill to call a real game. You have to play the percentages.

17. MarineG8R

MarineG8R GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2014
    I’d personally like to see a slow steady improvement in depth and talent, especially on the line of scrimmage. That is the most important part of future success IMO. Sometimes drastic improvements are built on a house of cards. I just wonder if Gator Nation will be as patient, they haven’t shown that in the past.

I’m anticipating heavy run, ball control and a short passing game this year. I’ll be paying most attention to the line of scrimmage and defensive side of the ball this year. Defense was the difference in a few of the Ls last year. Not having AR’s running ability and deep arm hurts, but I think an improved short passing and running game might be better.

NIL really has thrown a monkey wrench in a lot of this and clearly some schools were more prepared are already good at pushing the envelope. Anyone that has been a UF fan knows that the school was always going to take a wait and see/conservative approach. Certainly positives and negatives to that approach.

I’m 46. I was at UF during the late Spurrier, Zook, Meyer and Donovan years. It was fun, especially Meyer/Donovan.

I’ve just gotten to the point that I’m not gonna freak out if a kid chooses someone else, we don’t get a title or whatever. I just want to be competitive again.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. MarineG8R

Nov 19, 2014
    Also, I hate to say it but I think BN’s job heavily depends on Lagway.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. SwampBrody

SwampBrody All American

Nov 13, 2008
    if patterns stay consistent, Lagway will not be a Gator. I hope he is, but we have botched some QB recruiting here.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 2
  20. MarineG8R

Nov 19, 2014
    True. I’m hoping all the money is being directed his way.