Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Iran launches retaliatory missile strikes into Israel

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by Shade45, Oct 1, 2024 at 1:36 PM.

1. ridgetop

ridgetop GC Hall of Fame

Aug 4, 2020
    Top of the ridge
    This thread has shown a racist… without a shadow of a doubt

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    No, he’s not. Here is an overview of Israeli law.

Basic Laws of Israel - Wikipedia

And the clause you cited means that Israel is a Jewish State. It does not mean Jews are superior to others.

3. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    What is the difference between the two? Seems like nothing more than framing. If only one group has a right to national self-determination, how is that not granting supremacy to them?

4. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Well, the way he argues it, an Israeli Jew has superior rights to an Israeli Christian. But that is not so.

But Israel is a Jewish State, exactly like SCORES of states are Muslim states or Christian States. Under the laws of a Israel, it cannot change from a Jewish State—the only Jewish State in the World.

5. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    That is not what that clause says. A different clause says that. That clause says that only Jewish people get to exercise the right to national self-determination within Israel. That grants a Jewish person a right not possessed by Christians or Muslims or any other religious groups.

It should be noted that this interpretation of the law is commonly held by both supporters and detractors of the law in Israel (and it is still extremely controversial as a narrowly passed extension to the basic laws in 2018).

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  6. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Self determination of THE STATE. It’s not a law that takes away liberties, nor could it, as that is guaranteed in its original declaration.

So, by way of example, if at some point the State of Israel has more Muslim citizens than Jews, the State will nevertheless remain a Jewish State.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2024 at 12:46 PM
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    The law doesn't give self-determination to the state. That is a dictatorship. It grants self-determination only to one group of people that reside within its borders.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    I added an edit above, but here’s the further example:

So, by way of example, if at some point the State of Israel has more Muslim citizens than Jews, the State will nevertheless remain a Jewish State.

9. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Just a question, if someone converts to Judaism, do they get that right?

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    I’m not by any means an expert in Jewish law, but I believe Israel makes is easier for Jewish people across the world to become Israeli citizens (for obvious reasons give the very reason for its existence). It takes longer for non-Jews to immigrate as a citizen (although there’s no restrictions on owing property, practicing religion, etc.). I don’t know how someone who just converted would be treated for purposes of immigration and citizenship.

11. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    That is not what that clause states. The clause states that the "Jewish People" not the state are granted the right to national self-determination.

12. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Yes, I believe so. There are some religious groups in Israel that oppose this, but they have been unable to restrict the rights of converted Jewish people as of yet, as far as I am aware.

13. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    In the end, dual systems of citizenship by religion are also a form of religious supremacy. Even if done for a reason that we might support. However, that, unlike the above clause, is not a Basic Law, just regular laws.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  14. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Who cares? I've never spoken to a white South African about apartheid either, I dont care about their justifications for an obviously immoral and chauvinist system. I doubt you've had extensive conversations with Palestinians to arrive at your view either. So give us a break here.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2024 at 1:20 PM
  15. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Hey kinda like how South Africa had a white minority and maintained white self-determination. Yet, again you refuse to see it as an apartheid state.

16. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    They can still restrict who immigrates to Israel, even if you have converted or were already Jewish for that matter (particularly African Jews).

17. okeechobee

okeechobee GC Hall of Fame

Sep 11, 2022
    Not to beat a dead horse, but it can't be stated unequivocally enough. Most of what we've seen would have never happened with almost anybody else other than Jake Sullivan in charge of national security and of course his boss (CICINO). Tehran saw weakness with a pause in the Abraham Accords and more so, the lifting of numerous sanctions on their oil revenues. Just as Moscow saw weakness with removal of sanctions on the Nordstream 2, which was set to make Europe even more reliant upon Russia for natural gas and naturally Russia would have profited immensely.

From that standpoint, I will say the current administration put Israel in a very difficult position. I've been critical of the somewhat indiscriminate bombing in Gaza and I still do believe it could have been carried out more surgically to preserve innocent human life. That said, none of this would have happened with Trump in the WH if for nothing else, Iran knew Trump didn't give two f***s about what the UN or world opinion was, so Iran could bank on Israel being green-lighted to do whatever they wish without any pushback at all from the Trump WH. Notwithstanding they understood Trump had no qualms hitting Iran proper after Soleimani. Murdering Americans in Israel or taking them hostage would have placed America on offense under a Trump administration.

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    It wouldn’t just be the Saudis.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Fair point. I look forward to reading your posts naming and criticizing each of the “ Supremacist” nations and states where a religion is a core of their Nation.

20. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    First, I most certainly have spoken with Palestinians, and truly enjoyed the discussions I’ve had in each instance.

But regardless, as stated above, because you are a model of consistency, we look forward to your equal attack on the “immoral” system of government in all of the secular governments across the world.

• Winner Winner x 1