Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Iran launches retaliatory missile strikes into Israel

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by Shade45, Oct 1, 2024 at 1:36 PM.

1. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    I don’t think Israel has the means to this in its own, absent some revolution by the Iranian people. They would need huge help. Would you want the US to open an actual shooting war directly with Iran?

2. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Not that it will stop Israel or the US from making Iran pay a price for this most recent attack, but get ready for $10 gas if a major conflagration erupts. Can't rule out Iran going scorched earth and trying to take out other gulf states oil production. Of course Biden will get blamed for the $10 gas. Even if we are not dependent on that part of the world for oil, the global price for crude will jump.

3. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Yep. One of the first places Israel will strike if the Iranian island where 95% of their oil is exported. That’ll cause a dent in prices (although I suspect the Saudis would be so full of glee that they’d jack their production to try and cover the difference)

4. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Like they literally sent settlers to a place where very few Jewish people lived, and are still sending settlers (illegally and armed by the government) to land they removed people from, in many cases demolishing their houses and expelling them from villages. You just have to look at basically any history book. You are no different than the MAGA types who scream "woke" if someone points out we took land from the Indians and committed our own ethnic cleansing.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    If that happens why shouldn't he be blamed? We are arming the people that would be doing it lol. They could and would not do that without our material support! This war wouldnt be where its at without billions in US support and weapons.

6. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Sure. Good enough reason for you to applaud the shooting of rockets into Israel every single day. And while we’re at it, I’m still waiting for your very first post where you criticize Hamas and Hezbollah for their attacks in Israel, and show sympathy for the Israelis who were murdered, tortured, raped and kidnapped.

• Winner Winner x 2
  7. sierragator

Apr 8, 2007
    and you're ok with that blaming putting orange guy back into the white house?

8. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    If a mid east war is good for Trump and Bibi (who wants Trump to win), why is Biden backing Israel with a blank check and insisting the flow of weapons stay on course? Not only that you have significant Muslim populations in critical swing states, and ignoring them too. I love that our liberals would literally torch American democracy for Israel's right wing racist government. What is the point of the Democrats? Its madness. When I say we are in a murder/suicide pact with Israel, this is exactly what I mean!

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  9. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Only Israelis are allowed to defend themselves and kill/target civilians, use human shields, violate international law, etc - I forgot those are the rules. Once again I will point out that our government doesnt support Hamas or Hezbollah, or provide them material support for what they do. Our bombs are killing Palestinians and Lebonese people.

10. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Right. Hezbollah certainly was “defending itself” on October 8 forward—every single day, shooting rockets into Israel (even though they said they were doing it to support Hamas,not to defend themselves).

And, clearly Hamas was “defending itself” when it invaded Israel in a surprise attack on, amongst other things, a PEACE CONCERT,where they kidnapped innocent civilians, and raped, tortured, maimed and mirdered thousands …. All during a period of peace with Israel.

Your Qatarian comic book of history needs some more work.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Hezbollah formed because Israel invaded Lebanon in 1982, it literally exists because of Israeli aggression lol. Not only that, dealing with the Palestinians in Lebanon that way more or less made Hamas and the following Intifadas inevitable as Palestinian nationalism surged.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2024 at 1:36 PM
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  12. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Oh my goodness. The Qatarian School of Idiotic Propaganda is strong in this one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. sierragator

Apr 8, 2007
    If the middle east wants to continue killing each other, have at it. Hoping they don't take the rest of the world down with them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    People say this, but also say we have to keep aiding Israel and guaranteeing their security. Can't have it both ways!

15. CaptUSMCNole

CaptUSMCNole Premium Member

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    The IRA did not have the ability to take over England. They made a Peace Deal with England and lived by the terms of the deal.

At some point, you have to admit that the Palestinians are not interested in a Peace Deal. They have been given every chance to make a deal and turned everyone of them down. It appears that your position is that Israel should have to live in a constant state of attack from Hamas and Hezbollah. Would you expect any other sovereign nation to accept that?

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    The Palestinians never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity. There should have been peace 25 years ago when Clinton made an agreement between Israel and Arafat. But the Palestinians were promised from the land to the sea, Arafat didn't deliver, and Hamas grew from the ashes of the PLO. Should tell you how difficult it is to beat the idea of terrorist group like Hamas when they don't accept a peace deal.

And like the IRA, Hamas and Hezbollah don't have the ability to defeat Israel. Again, decades of fighting, what has Israel's enemies won? They have lost at every turn and Israel has razed, built settlements, and taken over former Palestinian land. Really think Israel is in danger of losing?

At the same time, Israel has been fighting terrorists since the late 1960s and have yet to be able to deal a knockout blow. What makes today any different?

The only answer is to one day have the Palestinians realize the futility of their battle, and that a stalemate is the best they can do, while the battle kills many of their population and offers little hope for a positive future. Until then, it's going to be wash, rinse, repeat of the same battles that both sides have been fighting for a few generations.

Right now, most of Hamas is hiding among Palestinian citizens, recruiting among the younger generation. The continued aggression is only going to lead to more resolve among the surviving Hamas members, and lead to more future terrorists. Unless Israel can kill every last one, the idea and ideal won't die.

I'm not saying Israel can't defend herself. Just have a realistic understanding that the current policy isn't a winning one. It's not a losing one either. It just continues the status quo that's been going on, again, for generations. Want lasting peace? Call a cease fire and help rebuild Palestine. Flood the area with opportunity and convince the youngest generation that fighting will only lead to hopelessness and no future. And pray, one day, the Palestinians decide to jump on the opportunity instead of missing it again.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. CaptUSMCNole

CaptUSMCNole Premium Member

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    The Sunni Gulf Arab states have moved past the Palestinian issue and are now focused on isolating the Palestinians biggest sponsor, Iran. This is a major shift in the conflict and is setting another condition that has never existed before. There is no more organized state sponsored support in these countries for Hamas. Hamas is now seen as a tool of their enemy.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and hoping for a different outcome. This has been the plan for 60+ years and it has never worked. There is no chance at opportunity as long as Hamas is still seen as a threat in Gaza. A cease fire now, ensures that Hamas remains a threat. Israel continuing to degrade Hamas and killing what remains of their leadership, could change that. I'd rather chance it on the unknown outcome of the latter than go with the known outcome of the former.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    The Palestinian/Israeli conflict is insane. Has been for generations. Call me when Israel actually achieves a knock-out blow against Hamas. I won't be holding my breath. Just like the Brits couldn't knock out the IRA, or Israel couldn't knock out the PLO, the idea behind Hamas will live on among the Palestinian people, where Hamas has over 90% support and approval. The insanity will continue, as it has for decades. Wash, rinse, repeat.

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    The insanity will continue for as long as as the Arab-Persian leadership sponsors the death of Israel. Things are turning with Saudi Arabia and Iran involved in their own proxy war. If Israel is able to break the sponsorship of terrorist regimes (talking to you, Iran), the will to destroy Israel will wane. Then, maybe, there will be a a willing participant to leave.

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. sierragator

Apr 8, 2007
    So the alternative is to allow their enemies to overrun them, drive them into the sea, and or exterminate them... then we can have peace?