Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Iran launches retaliatory missile strikes into Israel

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by Shade45, Oct 1, 2024 at 1:36 PM.

1. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Could be debris or something. Best case scenario is that these are the same sort of managed strikes as what went down earlier in the year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    We do need oil producing countries to keep prices as low as possible and stable, if not the oil itself.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. danmanne65

danmanne65 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 2, 2022
    DeLand
    This will end badly for the people. I wish there was a way for the leadership of all sides to duke it out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. CHFG8R

CHFG8R GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    St. Augustine, FL
    I guess. But, the simple reality is that China takes the biggest hit if ME oil goes offline. They're basically where we were in the mid-70s. Utterly dependent. So let them be the peacekeeper. . . . Oh yeah, they can't. I almost feel like our presence is hindering things, like we're the mom everyone looks to make things right. Maybe if we give them our backs they'll realize that they either work together or die together.

5. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    If you saw the video to which I linked (not the one linked to the Reddit post) it was rather obvious that most of the missiles were intercepted. The Reddit video one was apparently edited to that it appeared that they impacted.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  6. danmanne65

danmanne65 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 2, 2022
    DeLand
    Almost seemed to me that the whole thing was for show. I wouldn’t want to be an Iranian leader right now. Your cell phones will be homing in the bombs.

7. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Except that I’ve seen tweets showing that one of the missiles hit an Israeli school (waiting for the UN outrage as we speak). It doesn’t sound like there’s been injuries so far, so maybe you’re right—just a show of fake retaliation (which in my mind is a positive).

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. CHFG8R

CHFG8R GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    St. Augustine, FL
    Sort of like the last one? . . . but without the 4-hour warning?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Shade45

Shade45 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007

• Winner Winner x 2
  10. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    I truly hope Israel targets the Iranian hierarchy and takes them out like they did Hezbollah. Take out the Ayatollah and the people of Iran will do the rest.

• Agree Agree x 5
  11. CaptUSMCNole

CaptUSMCNole Premium Member

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    Destroy Hamas and push Hezbollah forces back north of the Litani River, which the UN was supposed to be doing. Hezbollah has been shooting rockets into Israel every month since Oct 7th. Israel was not the one escalating. They were responding. Iran just chose ignore Biden's warnings and decided to escalate and now you do not think Israel should respond?

Last edited: Oct 1, 2024 at 4:41 PM
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
  12. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Destroy Hamas? It's been almost a full year, how close to destruction of Hamas has Israel achieved so far? How well did Israel do destroying Hamas' predecessor, the PLO? Why did Israel never achieved any total victory against the PLO?

Israel has been fighting terrorists since the 1960s, after it's neighboring countries figured out it can't beat Israel in a conventional war. Israel never defeated the PLO; Hamas did, after the PLO eventually gave up and Arafat negotiated a peace negotiated by Clinton.

And when has Hamas and Hezbollah not been firing rockets into Israel? They have never stopped. But now, we're on the doorstep of Israel with a two-front war against two, separate terrorist groups. And Iran.

There is no end game. Terrorists organizations aren't countries. They are hydras. You cut off on head and two grow back in its place. Terrorists organizations are more ideas than they are militaries, which makes them very difficult to beat with military only solutions.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    target list?
    Ayatollah and sr advisors
    Iraqi military leadership
    Nuclear facilities
    Naval facilities
    Air force facilities
    Republican Guard HQ?
    oil facilities

Last edited: Oct 1, 2024 at 5:39 PM
  14. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    OT - sort of

Head of Iranian unit countering Mossad was Israeli agent, says ex-president Ahmadinejad (msn.com)

The alleged double agents provided Israel with sensitive information on the Iranian nuclear program, according to his comments in the interview, which were widely picked up by international media.

Ahmadinejad said the agents were behind some key Mossad successes in Iran, including the 2018 theft of nuclear program documents that were taken from Tehran to Israel and revealed by Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu. The trove is thought to have been a factor in convincing then-US president Donald Trump to pull out of the nuclear agreement between world powers and Iran.

The head of the counterintelligence unit was revealed as a double agent in 2021 but he and all of the other alleged Mossad moles were able to flee the country and are now living in Israel, claimed Ahmadinejad, a firebrand populist known for his hardline anti-Israel and antisemitic rhetoric and for the violent crackdown that followed his disputed 2009 reelection. He was prevented from running again for president earlier this year.

• Like Like x 1
  15. demosthenes

demosthenes Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Edited how? Regardless, they don’t even look like they’re off the same area to me.

You can tell when they get intercepted as they’re exploding midair. There weren’t many in some areas like here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/CombatFootage/s/h35oNUwJPb

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. gatorchamps960608

gatorchamps960608 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 4, 2020
    October surprise #2 cooked up by Netanyahu and Trump.

17. CaptUSMCNole

CaptUSMCNole Premium Member

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    Israel has pretty much destroyed Hamas ability to fight as a coordinated paramilitary organization. The cease fire talks are slowed because Hamas reps in Doha cannot get a hold of their leadership in Gaza in under two weeks. The difference this time is that Israel is not stopping until they are comfortable with how far they have degraded Hamas' capabilities and not caved to US pressure stopping short of it.

So Hezbollah gets to keep firing rockets into Israel and the Israeli military should not take action to stop it? Why does Israel have to be the one not to respond when they are are attacked? Why is the UN not fulfilling their their obligation of UN Resolution 1701?

I don't have time to write a treatise on why you are wrong about defeating terrorist organizations but they can be defeated with the proper use of DIME power. I do not get the idea of saying, "Well you cannot defeat them, so let's just let them fire rockets into Israel and tell the Israelis to just deal with it and not do anything."

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
  18. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    If terrorists organizations can be defeated using military tactics only, why didn't Israel ever defeat the PLO?

As for Hezbollah rockets, most are stopped by the Iron Dome. And there's ample warning for Israeli residents that all have bomb shelters to retreat to that loss of life is rare from these attacks. And property damage is usually minimal. These are not standard military weapons. But usually homemade rockets.

But with the escalation, Iran is now more involved. And the attacks on Israel will escalate too, with more attacks with better rocket technology.

In the end, just like it was with the PLO. for almost 4 decades, the terrorist organization will be battered and crippled, but not defeated. And given time, Hamas, like the PLO before, will return. And it's wash, rinse, repeat. Unless you think the battle today is actually fundamentally different this time? Here's a hint. It's not.

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. demosthenes

demosthenes Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    There is no PLO.
    Israel didn’t defeat the PA because it negotiated the Oslo Accords and made several attempts to negotiate a two state solution, all of which were rejected by the PA. The last attempt was Bill Clinton and Dennis Ross’ negotiations in 2000, where an agreement was drafted for land exchanges and dedicated roadways for two continuous states. After agreeing to the deal, Arafat would not sign it because the Palestinians don’t want the deal. Never did. And still do not. They want a one state solution with no Jews.

• Agree Agree x 4