Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Interesting Details on Cormani Deal

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by doctorg8r, May 18, 2024.

1. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Also a Colorado podcaster has a short about Dions "final statement" / message to McClain about signing with UF -

Basicly Dion getting in a "last word" - said committing only means something if one is truly committed through actions not words.
    That was the jest of it.

Can't argue with this of course although for me, it's just Dion getting another 15 seconds of last word media coverage. Considering he is an FSU
    guy and always an over the top self promoter, I am officially on the McClain "bandwagon", if for no other reason, to make Dions program
    look bad. I have never liked that guy. Yes, he was a terriffic player and he has certainly made waves coaching.

But I will not be dishonest, I was quite happy to see the Buff's, Dion and of course the social media world "THUD" back to earth with
    Colorado's laughable 4 - 8 season and awful mid to end of season performance. They made UF's defense look elite.

I will acknowledge that his son really is a terriffic QB. Kid can play so can Travis. Dion makes Norvell look like a non transfer portal participant considering
    the transfer portal turnover in his program. I don't see the Buff's doing a heck of alot better in 24 record wise, not with 45 or so players turning over. Not alot
    of continuity there.

You know it would be a real splinter in Dions ass if Cormani balls out at UF!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    Synopsis: $200k NIL deal as a walk-on with incentives for good behavior and/or performance

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  3. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Not too bad of a situation.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. swamp life

swamp life All American

Aug 12, 2017
    Jacksonville
    I would like to see a salary cap for each school.. Just a step below the NFL.

5. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Hall of Fame

Feb 22, 2017
    They’ve set a cap for themselves at ~20 million, which I expect to be challenged in court in short order. Broken down across the entire athletic dept, it’s really not that much per player. Most schools don’t even have this much cash laying around and won’t even be able to hit these caps. Most athletic depts leach off the academic side. Ours is one of very few that operate in the black.

The schools/fanbases that have the cash will continue to circumvent any type of cap with NIL money, so the cap you want is useless anyway.

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    $200k per year?

7. paidinfull

Feb 22, 2017
    The contract is not public. Take any numbers you read with a grain of salt.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I dont know details but NIL was a big factor.

9. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

I don’t know if this is good news or not

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Endless Excuses

Endless Excuses GC Hall of Fame

Jan 13, 2010
    Swampville
    Yep...so I guess gone are the days when teams could simply bribe them with free shoes and corrupt police departments.

• Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  11. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Many pundits suggest this is exactly where it is going.

12. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  13. paidinfull

Feb 22, 2017
    The schools have already set a ~20 million dollar cap for themselves (which I expect to be challenged). Spread over the entire athletic dept, this really isn’t that much money per athlete though. NIL will still be a driving factor, and it won’t be capped. The teams (fanbases) that want to spend the money, will continue to spend it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    The only thing that may come out of that is a contract that binds a kid to a school once he signs.

• Like Like x 1
  15. paidinfull

Feb 22, 2017
    I’m hopeful. The problem there is really going to be what becomes standard. If anyone is giving one year deals, the top guys are still going to demand their freedom. The flip side is also do you really want everyone locked into multiple year deals? Will be much harder to cull the rosters. It’s not like you’re going to be able to trade the kids.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Like any other sport, a one year deal if it’s smaller, we give the kid the opportunity to develop and make more money later or five-year deal. Would ensure that he’s getting paid for the next four or five years.

• Like Like x 1
  17. paidinfull

Feb 22, 2017
    If the kid you gave the small/short deal to improves, then he’ll be on the open market. The kid you want to lock up for four or five years out of hs could be getting one year offers from other schools (and could still be a flop that needs to be culled later).

Other leagues generally lock their draft picks up for multiple years. We’re not going to have a draft. Other leagues can also trade their players. I don’t see that happening here either. Not as long as the kids are forced to go to school, and when/if they’re not forced to go to school, it’s no longer college football, and I see whatever that becomes failing just like every other non-nfl football league here in the states.

I just don’t see any good long term solutions to any of this. It’s just going to be a mess.

• Agree Agree x 4
  18. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    It’s definitely going to be a mess but as long as they dress up in the orange and blue and play in the swamp people will be there

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. paidinfull

Feb 22, 2017
    If they’re not affiliated with the school and just renting our colors and our facilities, I really don’t think the draw will be the same. I definitely don’t think the financial support will be the same. You won’t have alumni pouring all their money into the program and they’ll be paying to rent our facilities. I could see any league going this direction quickly in the red (without a school/alumni to bail them out), just like many other leagues before them.

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    He needs better food than that.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1