Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Inflation is Transitory! Inflation is Transitory! Inflation is Transitory!

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by ETGator1, Jun 21, 2024.

1. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Clearly, the wrong answer. The May CPI is 3.3% for all and 3.4% less food and energy. Not only did the Fed start fighting inflation 6 months too late, but they also took their foot off the brake too soon. Instead of pumping sunshine up everyone's skirts with projections of multiple rate cuts in 2024 before their job was finished, they should have raised rates a couple of more times to finish the job of bringing inflation down to the Fed target of 2.0%.

The Fed could/should have done this before the US entered into the 2024 election season but didn't. Now we are stuck with an election approaching and a Fed Reserve that likely won't put their thumb on the election scale by either raising or lowering rates. Basically, inflation is in no-no-land and the Fed Reserve is impotent to act with inflation well above the 2.0% target.

I do agree that the Feds lack of results speak for themselves.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2024 at 12:12 PM
  2. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    How does Trump get inflation under control? Magic because his first term, inflation was under control? Well, things are much different today than they were in 2017.

And I know you prefer a myopic view of the US only, but our economy is intertwined globally. We have neither the resources or manpower to manufacture everything we consume. And Trump's policies to deport millions and increase domestic manufacturing would be inflationary. Our labor is more expensive to begin with, and we already have more job openings than unemployed.

Trump isn't magical. And his economic numbers, including inflation, mirrored Obama's. Obama's last 6 years and Trump's first 3 years all saw similar inflation rates, economic growth, and drops in unemployment. But to think all Trump has to do to reach these numbers again is be inaugurated ignores the differences between 2017 and today.

3. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    You are entitled to your wrong opinions. Past is prologue. All I see is blah, blah, blah.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    You really didn’t answer the question, except saying Trump won’t do what he said he’d do, and “but Biden” but that’s fine I didn’t expect you would.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Answered and with facts. Past is prologue. I touched on everything you wanted me to discuss including my opinion that the Tax Cut and Job Act would be made permanent and there would be no new tax cuts on top of this action.

Your question:

Explain the effects of the above on inflation. I’ll hang up and listen.

We had the same exact components in Trump's first term. I answered and included proof that all of these things were done with inflation at a peak of 2.44%, a low of 1.23%, and an average of 1.90% over 4 years.

Since you obviously have a direct line to Almighty God, I ask you to predict the future. I say predict as nobody including you knows what the future holds. Again, past is prologue unless you can prove differently.

It isn't surprising that you don't like or accept the truth. It is impossible to get someone to see when they are willfully blind.

To add something new for you, the Fed Reserve did a good job in the Trump presidency. To keep inflation in check, the Fed raised interest rates 7 times in Trump's first 2 years. Because inflation came down as a result of the increases, the Fed was able to lower rates 3 times in year 3. Of course, year 4 will always be remembered as the Fed reduced rates to close to zero during covid. The bottom line is Trump groused about too many rate increases in his first 2 year, some call it taking away the punch bowl too early, but the Fed, unlike in the Biden presidency, was very effective.

My rate prediction if Trump is elected:

Look for the Fed Reserve to raise rates a few more times to get inflation down to their 2.0% target range. They wouldn't do it on Biden's watch, but they will do it on Trump's watch, fighting inflation will win out over the risk of recession.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2024 at 11:27 AM
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    There was very high inflation from about Dec2020-June 2022, in CPI without housing and also in new rents. After that it went back to 2% levels. In a sense it was transitory. The nature of CPI housing component spreads it out over a much longer period.

But yes the fed did drag their feet a bit. They were arguably looking at the wrong metrics.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Apr 26, 2007
    No it doesn't. The overall inflation number that the BLS releases every month includes energy and food. They also release 'core' inflation, which excludes energy and food. Core inflation is currently 3.4%. Inflation is 3.3%. So including food and energy actually brings the inflation rate down.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  8. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    It’s it is in the 2% range without housing. No amount of rate raises is going to build some homes. Your’re fighting an old war like all out of touch conservatives.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    CPI will continue to trend down towards 2% whether it is Trump or Biden, due to the delayed natures of CPI housing component.

Beyond that, if Trump got most of what he proposed, inflation will likely start trending back up.

You didn’t say what would happen with inflation if we did get tariffs

You didn’t say what would happen with inflation if 5-10 million people were deported.

You didn’t say what would happen to inflation with Trumps proposed new tax cuts and even bigger deficits.

You didn’t really say the impact of dropping interest rates while doing all of the above.

You also refuse to acknowledge that Trumps 2020 deficit was huge and absolutely played a part in inflation also. It doesn’t seem like you understand that inflation tends to lag fiscal and monetary policy 1-2 years.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  10. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    The past is how we learn. It helps predict the future as there is rarely anything ever completely new under the sun. COVID being one.

If you ignore the past, you don't learn. You can innocently claim the past doesn't matter, but that simply isn't true. Policies matter. So does the economy a President inherits. And when you look at these facts, Trump’s policies look to be inflationary. And just believing Trump will magically fix inflation is a pipe dream.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  11. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Corrected in post above. Thanks.

12. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    3.3% all and 3.4% less energy and food. Inflation is too high and again the Fed Reserve is asleep at the switch and has been since during the last quarter of 2023. Raise the freaking rates already. Maybe we'll have a recession, maybe we won't. What we for sure have is inflation running well above the Fed 2.0% target rate. This is the fight that must be made, maybe not under Biden but certainly under Trump as was done in his presidency, the decision must be made to accept high inflation or raise rates and risk recession.

Historically, the Fed has always raised rates. They waited too long under Biden and now they took their foot off the brake too soon. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see financial pundits start to predict a rising rate rather than holding or reducing rates. JMHO, holding or reducing rates in this environment is asinine.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2024 at 1:47 PM
  13. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    How can you be this obtuse? I answered in the only way anyone can. You just don't want to see the truth. I'll not repeat what I've already written as you clearly don't understand. I suggest you go back and work on your lack of reading comprehension.

No, inflation won't go down to the Fed 2.0% target without the nudging to do so regardless of if it's Biden or Trump. I recommend a real reduction in fiscal spending along with a few more interest rate increases to get the job done. The economy is likely strong enough that it could be done and avoid a recession. The ravages of inflation are worse than the risk of recession.

2020 wasn't Trump's deficit. It was a bipartisan fight to combat covid actions. I'll be damned if I'll let you saddle Trump with the deficit in 2020 and demand that Trump doesn't get credit for the peak of homeownership at 67.4 during 2020 covid. You can only have these two issues as one way or the other with both being in agreement.

What shot Bidenflation to the moon was his 3 large fiscal spending programs. The covid $ had largely worked through the system by the time Biden was inaugurated. To blame Trump for Bidenflation is dishonest to the point of lying. Even ex-Obama advisers were telling Biden the added stimulus spending wasn't needed and would be inflationary. Not disliking any increase in fiscal spending, Biden moved ahead with his spending which caused all of the Bidenflation that followed.

Bottom line, the majority of people were better off under Trump than under Biden. I believe they will show their disenchantment with a very unpopular Biden in November. Hello, Trump 47.

14. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    At no point has any of the policies you are concerned about resulted in inflation that couldn't be controlled by an active and effective Federal Reserve as I showed in one of my above posts on this page.

Please, let's relive the past. The US has to get out from under Dictator Biden. It's time for a change election putting the adults back in charge, think that is what the dems said when Biden won and before he screwed up the nation.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    My criticism was that the Fed waited too long, it’s one that it shared by many experts.

16. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    TY.

Define “transitory”, in the context of that time the Fed was thinking it would just go away on its own, that wasn’t the case. They waited too long this they had to hammer down harder than if they had done some smaller raises sooner. It was just rates QE played a part as well.
    It was a tough situation in fairness.

17. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    I get it. Its easy to say that but potentially crashing the recovering economy with high interest rates while restarting from covid could have been a disaster too. However, it wasnt a disaster. We exited covid as well as anyone and recovered so much faster than anyone thought and all the recession fears didnt come true.. maybe from the feds restraint? Who knows?

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    You may want that but that is opposite of what Trump wants to do.

You aren’t a serious person.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  20. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    Totally disagree while the Red did wait too long, they don’t need to raise rates again now. Things aren’t quite where they need to be but raising rates more now aren’t going to magically fix that.

Big ships turn slowly and the US economy is a giant ship. It was going full speed ahead due to lots of fiscal stimulus (not referring direct payments to individuals), QE and ultra low rates. All the covid cash that was poured into the economy to help it from crashing had to wind its way through the system. The Fed underestimated that effect and blamed it all on supply chain issues, they should have pumped the breakers sooner but were scared.