Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Inflation is Transitory! Inflation is Transitory! Inflation is Transitory!

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by ETGator1, Jun 21, 2024.

1. louisianagatormom

louisianagatormom Junior

May 31, 2024
    And who was it that shut down the economies of various states? It was Trump who wanted to keep the country and the economy open. It was the states, particularly Democrat controlled states, that shut their respective states and economies down. Republican controlled states on average opened up 6 months earlier than Democrat controlled states.

Of course that's because they wanted Trump out so they wanted to take his good economy away from him which they did.

But it was Democrats, not Trump, that brought the economy to a screeching halt.

• Funny Funny x 3
  2. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    How about Yellen's interview? (shaking head)

Long post? LOL!

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  3. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Apr 26, 2007
    Yellen's interview was fine. She correctly pointed out that Trump's tax cut added a lot to the deficit/debt. Your claim that she said Biden's budget has $3 Trillion a year in deficit reduction is false. She did not say that. 3 trillion in deficit reduction in a year would wipe out the deficit in one year. Did you actually watch the interview yourself? Do you actually even read what your write?

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Just a guess he probably didn't watch Yellen's interview or even read a transcript of the interview but is echoing what he heard or read from a right-wing commentator on Fox News or a similar media outlet.

5. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    LOL! Yes, I watched, and you are wrong. Might have typed it wrong, maybe the $3 Trillion is over a longer time period, but it was discussed. The $3 Trillion is a cut in the increase, not a budget reduction as pointed out by Neil Cavuto. Yellen claimed it was deficit reduction.

She mentioned that the high rate of interest on the federal debt is in a normal range which it is not.

She said deficits matter which is refreshing to hear the truth from a democrat although folks of your persuasion say not. However, she did not say anything alluding to a slowing down of fiscal spending.

She said the Tax Cut and Jobs Act will expire and she followed that up with a lie that the administration would leave in place the lower taxes for $400,000 earners and below. When the Act expires, all in the Act expires. If the administration wants to have $400,000 earners and down continue with lower taxes, it will take a new law as congress controls the purse strings, not the executive. How do you feel about the Biden administration raising your taxes?

It was also discussed that the budget was headed to $50 Trillion as estimated by the CBO.

Did you not see any of this? I don't believe so. You are not the first lefty on the list to watch the interview. You didn't show enough knowledge of the actual interview. Nice try, but no cigars.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Apr 26, 2007
    It's really simple. You said Yellen claimed that Biden's budget had 3 trillion in deficit reduction per year. Now you say you might have 'typed' it wrong and that it might be over a longer time period. It is over a longer time period, specifically 10 years, which she clearly states and which you should know had you actually watched your own video. You simply were wrong. Why can't you admit it?

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  7. louisianagatormom

louisianagatormom Junior

May 31, 2024
    And which party was it that all but forced an economic shutdown due to Covid? Which party was it that opened up their economies earlier? When will you all just admit that outside of the elderly, the immunocompromised and others with comorbidities there should have never been a shutdown.

8. chemgator

chemgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Don't be absurd. The shutdown was at least 90% necessary, and the other 10% was an overabundance of caution for a disease we did not fully understand. Covid was a fairly deadly (and extremely contagious) disease when it first came out. Some places, including Milan, Italy, reported a 10% mortality rate for the first few months. The U.S. might not have the same issues that Italy had, but without proper medical care available, we would almost certainly have several percent of the population die without the shutdown. And several cities were pushed to the limit in their ability to treat Covid patients. New York, for a time, had patients dying in ambulances outside of hospitals because there were no beds available in the hospital.

The U.S. did not have as severe or lengthy a shutdown as other high-performing economies did. China, the second largest economy, had a much more severe and lengthy shutdown. Taiwan was locked down tight as a drum for over two years.

And, if you open up the economy for everyone else besides the elderly and other vulnerable people, what makes you think that everyone else will avoid these people religiously and take all necessary precautions? You can be contagious for a couple days or more before you show symptoms, and some are contagious without ever showing symptoms. If we kept the economy open for healthy people, there would be a massive die-off of vulnerable people, with 10-20 million killed within a couple of years, especially as the disease dragged on with new variants, and people got tired of being cautious for grandma.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    So it sounds like you saying Trump is better on inflation.

These are Trumps proposals for next term:
    -10% tariffs on everything
    - 60% tariffs on China
    - more tax cuts, bigger deficits
    - pressure Fed to slash interest rates
    - Stop most immigration and deport 10s of millions of workers, decreasing the workforce.

Explain the effects of the above on inflation. I’ll hang up and listen.

10. louisianagatormom

louisianagatormom Junior

May 31, 2024
    Completely disagree and there's nothing you can say that will change my mind. The lockdowns were 90% UNNECESSARY! I was one of those people in the vulnerable groups and yet somehow I'm still here. How is that? According to you I should've died.

Life should have gone on as normal for those who were under 60 and did not have any specific conditions. For those 60 and over and with conditions, lockdowns would've been appropriate, including working from home, until the situation was handled. At most I think we would've have a few hundred thousand deaths. Absolutely no where near the 10 - 20 million deaths you predict.

When you include the suicides due to hopelessness, depression and people losing their jobs I actually think we lost more people due to the lockdowns.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. chemgator

chemgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Maybe you didn't die BECAUSE there were shutdowns . . . DESIGNED TO SAVE YOUR LIFE. Sometimes, the simple answers are the correct ones.

So the shutdown might have saved your life, but you wished you had rolled the dice with the disease and your relatives? Do you also wish you had played Russian Roulette more when you were growing up?

Here is your logic:

Shutdown = I survived. Some other people died.

Therefore, no shutdown = I would have survived. Those same people, and no more, would have died.

All you have is an irrational belief system, and nothing more. The scientific method was invented several centuries ago.

Do you go through everything in your life with a close-minded attitude ("there's nothing you can say that will change my mind")?

Last edited: Jun 23, 2024 at 11:15 PM
  12. gatorjo

gatorjo GC Hall of Fame

Feb 24, 2024
    The Trumppublican party, right?

Didn't they control the WH, and over half the country's governorships?

But despite all this they got bulldogged by President Fauci?

Jeez, these Trumppublicans are worthless and weak, no?

Last edited: Jun 23, 2024 at 8:35 PM
  13. phatGator

phatGator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2007
    Dayton, Ohio
    Your son died this morning and you’re posting on stupid political threads?

14. gatorjo

gatorjo GC Hall of Fame

Feb 24, 2024
    That's what her son would have wanted. This is done out of selflessness.

The evils of President Fauci and his Demonrat puppetmasters must be known.

15. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    Well the fed jacking rates 500 basis points did have some effect..

16. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    An extra 5 Trillion being dumped into the economy in 18 months did nothing right?

17. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    In fairness when they said it was transitory they were suggesting it’s would go away with little intervention, the Fed was wrong too, hence their delay in rate hikes. But they finally got the message.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    P
    It replaced lost spend so it wasn’t overly incremental, in fact GDP was still down and it was a point in time. Small impact.

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    The topic we were discussing when I wrote that about Trump was the homeownership rate, but I'll play along on inflation.

Trump 45:

Tariffs heavy on China and others: Check
    Tax Cut and Job Act: Check
    Pressure the Fed Reserve to cut rates: Check
    Stop illegal immigration and deport millions: Check

Trump Inflation by Year:

2017: 2.13%
    2018: 2.44%
    2019: 1.81%
    2020: 1.23%
    Total: 7.61%
    AVG: 1.90%

Trump 47

I know Trump says he wants to cut interest rates in the campaign, but I don't believe he will, and I don't think congress will let him. It's like Biden forgiving student debt when he knows he can't, SCOTUS told him no once already, but he'll promise anything to buy votes, same with draining the SPR.

Biden will let the Tax Cut and Job Act expire which will give everyone in America a tax increase on top of Biden's high inflation, diarrhea from both ends.

Trump will get the Act extended and likely permanently, at least until another president and congress comes along to do something different.

The remaining items on your list are duplicates because Biden demolished everything he could of what Trump 45 did.

My prediction: Trump will get the range of inflation back down to the Fed Reserve target of 2.0%. Trump 45 and Trump 47 won't be significantly different insofar as inflation is concerned.

Besides, since when do democrats care about inflation and deficits? Biden has run both up the flagpole with your support.

• Funny Funny x 2
  20. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    We have one of the lowest inflation rates and highest GDP growth rates in the first world. Not sure we can really say the Fed didn’t do it right. I was critical and would have done it differently but their results speak for themselves.

• Agree Agree x 1