Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Incoming Haitian Invasion Into Florida? DeSantis Needs To Be Prepared.

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by thelouisianagator, Mar 13, 2024.

1. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    You and I probably disagree on stuff more than we agree, but I do think you're generally a thoughtful poster and an all around good dude.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  2. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Just the fact that anyone would write a post like the OPs given anyone arriving here from Haiti would be fleeing political chaos, and basically gangs running the country, as a hostile "invasion" is sad and absent basic human decency. Any decent people would treat their arrival as a humanitarian emergency, not some kind of problem of lawbreaking or foreign invasion of people with bad intentions. If a racist were to write a post it would look very much like the OPs, that's not just me, as pretty much everyone has had the same reaction to it.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. ATLGATORFAN

ATLGATORFAN Premium Member

Aug 10, 2015
    Isn’t there a thriving tourist economy where Americans and other western countries spend $1000s to vacation, on the same island as Haiti? Just over the mountains….. In addition, 3 other countries (Jamaica, Turks and British VI within 100 miles of Haiti. Why would it be assumed they need to come to the US?

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. ursidman

ursidman VIP Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC
    I think we on TH have interacted with a Haitian (IIRC) on these boards for a few years - a good man and active duty service member - I don’t remember anyone asking him to express the apparently required gratitude though.

edit: I see this was discussed.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2024
    • Like Like x 2
  5. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    How about the ignorant/narrowly-focused voice with limited experience?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. thelouisianagator

thelouisianagator Senior

Dec 24, 2023
    And yet at the end of the day they didn't go there. After the 2010 Earthquake Haitians did NOT go to the US VI, British VI, Jamaica, Turks, Bahamas or even on their own continent over to the Dominican Republic. Heck the Dominican Republic flat out said they didn't want them.

I stand by every single word I have said in this thread and as far as I'm concerned I'm in the right and most of the posters here are the ones in the wrong.

They came to the U.S., and sure while you can find one off examples, the vast majority came to Florida.

Here are the facts:

- Florida was the dumping grounds for Cubans after the Castro regime rose to power.
    - Florida was the dumping grounds for Haitians after the 2010 Earthquake.
    - Florida was the dumping grounds for Puerto Ricans after Hurricane Maria.
    - Florida was and still is the dumping grounds for Venezuelans and Colombians due to political unrest in their countries.

In every single instance above Florida was the dumping grounds and Florida overwhelming took the brunt of the impact. Many Haitians have left Florida due to the expiration of their Temporary Protected Status. But if Biden grants Haitians TPS for the political unrest just like his predecessor Obama did after the 2010 Earthquake, they will once again be dumped on Florida.

Sure some will go elsewhere in the U.S. Some will go to other Caribbean nations if they allow it (funny how those countries actually enforce their border and sovereignty). But overwhelmingly, it would be Florida once again that is impacted unless DeSantis takes a firm stand.

And sorry but I vehemently disagree with most of this thread. Nothing that I said was in any way racist. There's been far more racism thrown around this board at MAGA and Conservatives than the other way around, but yet that is somehow okay.

You all can throw the racist word around all you want, it doesn't mean anything anymore. Democrats have made the racism term almost a joke at this point. They've taken away any real power it has. And that started when anyone who challenged Obama was called a racist. That's why we disliked Obama. Because you couldn't disagree with him on anything without being called a racist. All of his policies I would've disagreed with if Obama was an albino white without a single drop of black blood. But no, it was the Democrats, like those on here, who called anyone who challenged Obama a racist. And in the process you stripped the term of any real negative connotation or meaning.

Back to the point, I never said I don't feel bad for the Haitians, they are living essentially in hell on Earth currently. But the U.S. can not solve the World's problem. If the U.S. wants to help it needs to be as a group response with the UN, not individually.

And more than anything, what I was trying to say is this. If a lot of Haitians do come to the U.S. because of the political unrest and Biden does grant them TPS, then ALL 50 STATES have to share the burden. ALL 50 STATES have to share the impact. ALL 50 STATES have to have skin in the game.

The days of Florida being the Caribbean's dumping ground anytime there's a Natural Disaster, Political Unrest or a Humanitarian Crisis has to come to an end. That is the truth and there's nothing wrong with pointing that out.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. thelouisianagator

thelouisianagator Senior

Dec 24, 2023
    If I was a Haitian and had escaped Haiti to the U.S. and was staying here permanently. You are damn right I would be thanking God every single morning the first thing after waking up thankful to be in the U.S. And I would do what I could to help the U.S. I definitely wouldn't just use the U.S. simply for economics and send all my money outside the U.S. And I would absolutely try my best to assimilate into the dominant U.S. culture as much as possible. I never say the majority of Haitians ever do even one of the things I just mentioned.

8. ursidman

ursidman VIP Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC
    What really rankles me is that Florida became a dumping ground for trash from West Virginia. They walk around like they own the place, if they happen to have an Actual job they send the money back to W Virginia not even bothering to help the local economies, don’t care about the natives, get upset when white girls wont date them. Send ‘em all back to that 3rd world hellhole

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  9. ATLGATORFAN

Aug 10, 2015
    appreciate the humor. After being in Atlanta for 23+ I’ve watched all the people move down with their Massachusetts, New York, Illinois license plates. Driving their Subarus and ignorantly voting in the same social and economic policies they lament back ‘home’. I moved up to north burbs and all my neighbors are Asian and I love it. family oriented, pleasant, courteous, all their kids carry a musical instrument to school and do marital arts with my kids. They talk openly about doing homework and don’t make fun of kids who turn in projects early. Everything is yes and yes sir with a smile ,firm hand shake and looking each other in the eye. I’m thrilled to be here and love the atmosphere for my family And kids. I fled white people in the city to an Asian neighborhood in the burbs …. Does that make me racist towards white people?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 11, 2011
    So of all the brown people who come in to our country, Haitians are OP's least favorite. Is there a point to this thread other than that?

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  11. swampbabe

swampbabe GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Viera, FL
    I think the joke went over your head

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. demosthenes

demosthenes Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Don’t go to battle for this guy.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  13. ursidman

ursidman VIP Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC
    The first Florida house my wife and I lived in was in Naples and was in a very mixed neighborhood- I had AA neighbors, Cuban neighbors, a Greek family, and many Haitians. We were the only beige couple. They were all good folk and were generous with native food and we watched over one another’s homes and I had no worries about my wife’s safety when I worked out of town 6 days/week.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  14. snatchmagnet

snatchmagnet Bring On The Bacon Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Parts Unknown
    I haven’t seen that one yet. Seems a bit extreme.

15. ATLGATORFAN

Aug 10, 2015
    it did not. Started my post with ‘appreciate the humor’ then subsequently posted about my experience with northern ‘newcomers’ Ironically my parents were from WV and moved to FL prior to me being born. Thank goodness. I thanked them often for moving before procreating

16. ATLGATORFAN

Aug 10, 2015
    did they have the great dock canoe race back then ? Had a lot of fun at that event

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. murphree_hall

murphree_hall VIP Member

Jul 11, 2019
    Thanks for the kind words. I’m not Active-Duty anymore, however. I haven’t been since the early 2010’s. Still in the Reserves though!

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. murphree_hall

murphree_hall VIP Member

Jul 11, 2019
    Revisionist post excludes where you labeled an entire population as lazy and entitled.

• Winner Winner x 3
  19. murphree_hall

murphree_hall VIP Member

Jul 11, 2019
    The irony is that you should be a fan of Haiti moreso than most people here. The ability of the U.S. to acquire the Louisiana Purchase from France was largely due to the financial impact of the Haitian Revolution. France lost its most valuable and income producing colony and was essentially forced to sell its territory in North America. This doubled the size of the USA and represents 1/3 of our current landmass. Those Haitian slaves changed the history of the USA, and the world, for that matter.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  20. swampbabe

swampbabe GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Viera, FL
    I guess but the poster that ursidman was responding to posts some pretty awful racist, misogynistic things on here under at least three different screen names.

• Agree Agree x 3