Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

In Michigan, Improper Pronoun Use Could Land You in Jail

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by flgator2, Jul 2, 2023.

1. UFLawyer

UFLawyer GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. UFLawyer

UFLawyer GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    You think the government in Michigan is smarter than the government in Canada, Sweden and Australia?

[​IMG]

have you read the comments from the Michigan mensas?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. UFLawyer

UFLawyer GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    yNothing you just posted resembles what I am trying to teach you. Go back and read my example about the crime against the black lesbian teacher. That is not a hate crime under this bill! Answer why correctly and you will achieve enlightenment. Admit that you finally get it and will no longer parrot CNN talking points and you will learn what it’s like to be admired.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. mrhansduck

mrhansduck GC Hall of Fame

Nov 23, 2021
    Whether one supports or opposes this specific bill (I haven't read it), it's fair to debate the distinctions between pure speech as opposed to stalking, harassment, making threats, etc. But the aspect of having protected classes/categories obviously isn't new. I think the same criticisms you're making here could be made about the Florida Civil Rights Act, for example. Do you think the FCRA is wrong and unfair because it applies to some categories of discrimination but not others?

5. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007

it's not an IQ test.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  6. UFLawyer

UFLawyer GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida

7. UFLawyer

UFLawyer GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    Yes. I would use the word, unjust, not unfair. Next question.

8. UFLawyer

UFLawyer GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    I didn’t say it was an IQ test. But the suggestion that the end result can’t happen here is beyond naivety. Wacky wokeness is a virus, just like Covid. It spreads across boarders like locusts.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. mrhansduck

mrhansduck GC Hall of Fame

Nov 23, 2021
    So for that reason, you support repeal of the Federal and Florida Civil Rights Acts?

10. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Well, you were the one saying that you could give 1000s of examples people excluded from this hate crime bill ... then went on to name exactly zero... the closest you've come is giving examples of things that are not hate crimes, then asking why they are not covered. You just keep going around in that circle.

11. WarDamnGator

Apr 8, 2007
    Ok ... so it's not a hate crime by the definition of this bill, therefore not covered by this hate crime bill. What is your point?

12. UFLawyer

UFLawyer GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    No. Not repeal. Maybe tweaked with more clear instructions for the court. The majority of problems from these laws comes through judicial interpretation. I agree 99% with the rationalization from SCOTUS in ending affirmative action. All discrimination is bad. Period. You don’t need identified groups. All discrimination is bad.

13. UFLawyer

UFLawyer GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    Good job. So now let’s change just two facts. Instead of belonging to your local chapter of Teachers Suck, you belong to a group called Gays Suck, and you attack a white, gay male teacher who was a former member of Seal Team Six.

Hate Crime? Yes or no?

14. UFLawyer

UFLawyer GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    Did you miss my post where I identified a dozen or so groups/people not covered? Come on man!

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. WarDamnGator

Apr 8, 2007
    Yup ... that fits the definition of hate crime under this law. Congratulations. You finally figured out how laws work.

And I know where you are going with this ... so I'll just preemptively point out that your pro-violence "teachers suck" group doesn't actually exist, and therefore there is currently no law needed to stop them. On the other hand, anti-gay groups and anti-gay violence are a real thing and do need laws to stop those people.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  16. WarDamnGator

Apr 8, 2007
    You named a dozen or so groups, sure. And Every single person who is a member of those groups would be covered by this hate crime law if a hate crime were committed against them -- not a single person would be excluded, as you falsely claimed.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  17. UFLawyer

UFLawyer GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    you are on the path to enlightenment. A few more questions.

In the two hypotheticals I gave, you had two identical perpetrators who committed a crime because they hate a characteristic of the victim. The first hated teachers, so he battered a black trans lesbian teacher. The second hated gays, so he battered a white gay navy seal. The Navy seal gets the protection of your bill, the black trans lesbian does not. Is that how you want our American Justice system to work? Yes or no?

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  18. WarDamnGator

Apr 8, 2007
    Absolutely. I think violent hate crimes should have a higher penalty over random acts of similar violence, especially as a deterrent to right wing groups that recruit and groom people based on their violent ideology.

Let me give you two hypotheticals. A guy steals a ream of blank paper from a office supply store. Another guy steals a stack of classified documents from his former job as president. The guy who steals the classified docs may get a stiffer penalty, even though the both just “stole paper”. Seems bigly unfair, huh?

19. UFLawyer

UFLawyer GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    If I looked up the definition of circular on Webster’s…tell me…what color shirt are you wearing in your portrait? Your are engaging in what Abraham Lincoln used to refer to as mental masterbation. Telling me that people who violate a hate crime law have committed a hate crime is like telling me Tim Tebow was a running QB.

[​IMG]

20. WarDamnGator

Apr 8, 2007
    so….,you are the only telling me certain people are excluded from the law, then when I point out that the law excludes no one, you tell me I’m stating the obvious. Ok… I’ll take that as win. thanks.