Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

In Michigan, Improper Pronoun Use Could Land You in Jail

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by flgator2, Jul 2, 2023.

1. flgator2

flgator2 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Gainesville
    In Michigan, Improper Pronoun Use Could Land You in Jail (townhall.com)

Michigan is taking proper pronoun use seriously by passing a law that could potentially jail those violating it. Why Lansing wasted time on the trivial matters of the ‘woke’ Left isn’t a mystery; the governor is Gretchen Whitmer. And the bill’s text is wholly subjective, inviting any overzealous prosecutor to take this law for a spin in unconstitutional territory. The penalties are stiff: up to five years in jail or a $10,000 fine for someone exercising their right to free speech (via Fox News):

Michigan's state House of Representatives has passed bill HB 4474, a piece of legislation that criminalizes causing someone to feel threatened by words.

The bill specifically addresses "sexual orientation" and "gender identity or expression" as protected classes.

According to the bill, "'Gender identity or expression' means having or being perceived as having a gender-related self-identity or expression whether or not associated with an individual's assigned sex at birth."

So much for Freedom of speech

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  2. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Adding the obvious caveat that I haven't read the actual legislation, there is a phrase from your own linked article that you conveniently omitted. From the article.
    While I still think it goes a little too far the qualifier "to intimidate" changes the entire meaning of your post.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. okeechobee

okeechobee GC Hall of Fame

Sep 11, 2022
    This takes it a step further than simply restricting freedom of speech. This is compelled speech. You not only can't speak out against the government. You have to repeat the government's propaganda as well. (unless you want to be thrown in jail)

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  4. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    One day we will look back wistfully upon the glorious days when folks could harass, intimidate, and shame LGBTQ folks and people of color w/o consequence. Or perhaps we are already there, right fl?.

Otherwise, the law is probably an overreaction and we'd all be better served to learn how to kick bullies' asses and not accept their bs.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    So I could call them a b***h, but not “he”?
    Makes sense to me.
    This garbage is a losing issue for Dems in a relative swing state like MI, it’s just baffling that they can’t seem to grasp it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. duggers_dad

duggers_dad GC Hall of Fame

Jan 5, 2022
    I was already glad not to be a Michigander. But does no one consider how ‘intimidate’ might be interpreted ? Ex: if I refused to call a man pretending to be a woman ‘she’, simply on the grounds that I refuse to feed the delusion, couldn’t that be construed as intimidating ? Just to be safe, threaten me with a fine if I so much as hint at vacationing in Michigan.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. okeechobee

Sep 11, 2022
    Try applying some context, perhaps. For example, you could refer to an African-American with a slur that is widely considered offensive. You may even have consequences as a result of your words, but you won't go to jail.

8. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Aren't there laws now about using words to intimidate people?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Emmitto

Emmitto VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Well if you testified that way, then yeah, you’re toasty. Might want to stay away from “pretend” and “delusion.” Seems like your axe is Yuge.

10. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    That was largely my point. This is a solution in search of a problem, and on an issue where the Dems are already on the back foot nationally. They finally got control of the Michigan legislature back, and this is the stuff they chooses to focus on?
    The dems are working hard to blow what should be a lay up of a ‘24 election if Trump is nominated.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  11. gatorschamps960608

gatorschamps960608 Recruit

Jul 1, 2023
    Trumpers: Anti-intimidation laws based on pronoun use are bad.
    Also Trumpers: Making up a fake website order so a GQP activist can have SCOTUS harass LGBTQ people is just fine and dandy.

12. kygator

kygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Yes, and the definition of intimidation shouldn’t be legally changed to include using pronouns that someone doesn’t want you to use.

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    Dumb

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. okeechobee

Sep 11, 2022
    Somebody got a new username.

15. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    No worries. This will eventually be appealed to the Supreme Court who will promptly ignore the Constitution and make up some reason to strike it down along the lines of "G*d would have wanted this law struck down, so that is how we ruled".

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. ridgetop

ridgetop GC Hall of Fame

Aug 4, 2020
    Top of the ridge
    Ignore the constitution? There is something about compelled speech in the constitution?
    Also what qualifies as threatening? Is this like stand your ground where if you feel the wanted you are? He called me a he when I identify as a she and I feel threatened?

17. homer

homer GC Hall of Fame

Nov 2, 2015
    Should I ever visit Michigan I’ll call everyone person.

Hi person. How are you doing today?
    Thank you person for helping me out.
    Etc., etc., etc.

18. okeechobee

Sep 11, 2022
    "Mr. Officer, he called me a she and this clearly threatened my manhood. So I did the needful and that's why he lay before you here today."

"Cool. Call us if you need anything. Have a nice one."

19. FutureGatorMom

FutureGatorMom Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    Now you know how non GOP voters feel in FL. Super majority and they focus on drag shows and book banning, but not the insurance crisis we have going on.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Meanwhile, in Florida, you can probably get away with shooting someone if they “intimidate” you. I mean, A guy just got away with killing a man who threw popcorn at him in a movie theater, over a dispute about reading text messages during the previews….

So, at least Michigan isn’t as stupid as Florida has become.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1