Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Impressions You Had of the O&B Game

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by doctorg8r, Apr 13, 2024.

1. gatormonk

gatormonk GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. gatorwalrus

gatorwalrus GC Hall of Fame

Sep 24, 2022
    Hmm, maybe the no contact made it seem worse than it was.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. sqgator

sqgator GC Legend

Apr 3, 2007

Who?

• Like Like x 1
  4. allhailmeyer

allhailmeyer Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    On the DL:

LJ and TJ might be the bookend starters but I thought Gumbs and Taylor looked better and got pressure.

Was excited to see Slackman, didn't do much but was usually up against a double team.

Big Dez is very big. Pretty sure he had to unbutton his pants in order to fit them on.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. lizardbreath

lizardbreath GC Hall of Fame

Aug 30, 2017
    Pace, FL
    I was mostly joking, of course he has value as a person, far more than me at this point in life. But if that's how he handles himself during a scrimmage in front of 20K, I don't like his prospects much against the TGs of the world when the chips are down and games are on the line. Just saying.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    Problem is we don't know what scheme they were allowed to play. Last Spring game they blitzed from start to finish and looked great and we know how that turned out once they started to play other teams.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. duggers_dad

duggers_dad GC Hall of Fame

Jan 5, 2022
    I’m talking about the way both QB’s were having to throw off stride or on the run.

8. 2oldgator

2oldgator GC Legend

Jul 14, 2021
    Dunnellon fl
    Clay Millen looked very sharp during his limited time at QB.
    He looked decisive and finished 7-8 although only 22 yards net, I think. Hope we can hang on to him. More than one team lost multiple QB’s last season and it would be nice to have him in the bullpen.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  9. doctorg8r

doctorg8r GC Hall of Fame

Dec 11, 2018
    It was a Spring game and most were not expecting the offense would show their cards much.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. doctorg8r

doctorg8r GC Hall of Fame

Dec 11, 2018
    I have watched since starting this thread. Hopefully, you are fine with my passion for the Gators?

• Like Like x 2
  11. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    When Napier said that "Zach" would be moving on to Jacksonville in his post-scrimmage presser, who was he talking about?

12. Donzo

Donzo GC Hall of Fame

May 20, 2008
    That’s the problem right there- you “thought”... Your “thought” is as ignorant as your Putin propaganda.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Donzo

Donzo GC Hall of Fame

May 20, 2008
    Good post, but disagree on point 2.

The 1st team OL was decent to good the whole game other than the Q4 series down inside the 10 yard line. The DL took it to them down there, and on one snap the LT (Manuel) missed the snap somehow. The DE just ran by him to blow up the play.

On the last series of the game the OL rebounded to stone the rush. Mertz ran out of a clean pocket on the 1st play, (completion to Webb) when he was chased by Jackson. On the last two passes to Dike and Boardington, Mertz had no one near him.

The 2nd team OL was solid the first half, then a HS Sr. had a rough second half at LT. The other four lineman were average to good.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Donzo

Donzo GC Hall of Fame

May 20, 2008
    Yes and no.

Gumbs played well and gets credit for it. I also liked Ivory and Taylor. All three are advanced developmental prospect guys who look like they belong.

The caveat with Gumbs' success in the O&B game is, as I alluded to in my previous post, it came against a HS Sr. If that was Barber at LT, I don’t think Gumbs would have had as much success… Just sayin’.

Sayin’ that, I’m really glad CBN was able to flip Gumbs. Looks like a really good get for UF.

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  15. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2008
    It is rare that a team has a chance at a qb with that much P5 starting experience to be a third string qb. This is one of the few times that our academic standing worked in our favor.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. manigordo

manigordo GC Hall of Fame

Nah, Setenta es mejor.

17. Donzo

Donzo GC Hall of Fame

May 20, 2008
    My overall take…

QB: Saw what we needed to. The present and future is bright… I knew Lagway was a bigger guy, but didn’t know he looked like a MLB- damn!

RB: Maybe the highlight of the O&B game. Excellent group!

WR: Wilson is a star. Dike and Jackson are solid. Burke and Mizell look ready to play; adding Mizell’s speed to the rotation would be huge… Spierto had himself a game!

TE: Definitely a deeper group. UF has depth this year, but no star… Good enough?!?

OL: Adding Barber and Waites, UF looks to have eleven (11) guys ready to play. 1st team OL only had one bad series. The good news is George looks like a fit at RG and his back up was the breakout star of the OL! There was some noise he wasn’t looking so good.

The 2nd team had a good 1st half, then HS Sr Westphal had a rough 2nd half. So on brand how a portion of Gator fans are coloring the entire OL with Westphal’s 2nd half struggles- smh… For Westphal’s future, he’s gonna be stud!

DT: I really like this group. Two years ago UF had one (1!) ready DT for SEC football. Dexter played 50-65 snaps a game. This year UF will have 6-7 guys getting 35-10 snaps a game. This is the type of DL depth that led to Michigan’s National Championship.

DE/Edge: Another deep group with developmental and 5 star guys. Really need at least one of them to be a high leverage player.

ILB: A lot of good players. Like with DE/Edge, play makers need to step up. The talent is there.

S: Really like the experience added to the position. I don’t think there’s an All SEC type player here. But a bunch of quality SEC types will get the job done.

CB: Like the rest of the defense, more guys are ready to play. Really like the bigger CBs.

All in all, the roster is so much deeper this year. Need a WR, RB, Edge/DE and a couple secondary guys to develope as some type of playmaker.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  18. reaves2alvarez

reaves2alvarez Junior

Nov 29, 2016
    Is there an emoji for “Man, I hope you’re right! I’d pay a lot of money for that to happen. Please, please, please be right!”

“Wes Chandler was Percy Harvin before Percy Harvin was born.”

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. lizardbreath

lizardbreath GC Hall of Fame

Aug 30, 2017
    Pace, FL
    I don't disagree at all. I do think, however, that the DLs held up a bit better in the second half overall. But I thought the pocket for Mertz was a bit cleaner than last year for the most part and he did have time to get down field for a couple of big ones and also managed some nice intermediate completions as well. I absolutely think the OL has made some strides and I expect we'll see more before 8/31. FTR, I totally disagree with Nick Delatore's pregame comments about zero progress being made on the OL in the spring. That is clearly not the case.

• Agree Agree x 5
  20. gatordadx2

gatordadx2 Premium Member

Dec 24, 2017
    I believe Big Dez will hit the portal eating his way out the door

Last edited: Apr 14, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 1