Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Immunity decision out

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by oragator1, Jul 1, 2024 at 10:44 AM.

1. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    I wonder if you realize the irony or if you are so buried in your framing that you don't see it. So "the Feds" didn't prosecute (you know, the Biden administration who currently appoints "the Feds") but that just shows how it was all "lawfare" because then a different jurisdiction chose to prosecute him for different crimes (they didn't convict him of federal election charges but rather state charges of falsifying business records to attempt to commit federal election crimes), which just proves that it was the Biden Administration all along.

2. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Because, believe or not not, some people actually care about presidents acting lawlessly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. slocala

slocala VIP Member

Jan 11, 2009
    White House Counsel gonna get some sweet cash to sit on their ass.

Does this immunity extend to others? So if the President orders something, does the immunity extend to everyone who follows the order, regardless of its legality? So the President can just spy on every American in his official capacity and it’s ok? What does this ruling do to further towards the unitary executive theory?

Last edited: Jul 1, 2024 at 12:50 PM
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  4. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    All of those were official acts as president. What official acts as president is Trump facing criminal prosecution for?

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  5. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Im totally shocked 2000 mules guy has adopted another nonsensical buzzword into his lexicon.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  6. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    As always, the overriding judicial philosophy of the American right:

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    President now has immunity from lawfare if they're directing it. Shrug

• Creative Creative x 1
  8. vegasfox

vegasfox GC Legend

Feb 4, 2024
    The Great One aka Robert Barnes talks LIVE right now with Alex Jones

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Trump calls this place a shit hole all the time. Says 9 month old baby's are being murdered, people cant afford to live, crime is utterly rampant. None of which is true though. He should probably go to Cuba, or Haiti, or Russia, or North Korea.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. vegasfox

vegasfox GC Legend

Feb 4, 2024
    Decision could have been broader but Robert Barnes believes Florida, DC and Georgia cases are DOA. IN THE new York case judge must go back and determine if anything Trump did was an official act. July 11 sentencing should be postponed Trumps lawyers will likely argue

11. gatorjd95

gatorjd95 GC Legend

Mar 6, 2009
    I admit that I struggle with incomprehensible sentences. I re-read your post several times in good faith to glean the meaning before I posted the reply, but to no avail. Assuming my own limitations, I invited an edit or explanation. No such explanation was offered. Rather, you proceeded with an insinuation that I support, or at least tolerate, genocide by our Presidents. Well played, I guess.

And no, it wasn't my argument that "Presidents get to commit genocide" or that any President doing so is "a good thing." My apologies for not clarifying that my point was the exact opposite of that conclusion. I should have been more clear to express that prior Presidents "did stuff" that may have subjected them to criminal prosecution, but they were not prosecuted. Accordingly, the issue of whether a President is protected by any immunity from criminal prosecution is novel. Expressed differently - whether a President MAY have been subject to prosecution is not novel; it is only now that the Biden DOJ has pursued criminal prosecution is novel. Which is the chicken and which is the egg is still up for debate.

• Like Like x 1
  12. GatorFanCF

GatorFanCF Premium Member

Apr 14, 2007
    So many thrilled with “Democracy” and our system until they aren’t.

13. gatorjo

gatorjo GC Hall of Fame

Feb 24, 2024
    Say what?!?!?!

You are going to compare ANY of those things, all of which pertain to a genuine government action or policy (however bad, ineffective or illegal it may have been) ..........

........to the criminal Trump enacting a criminal conspiracy to overturn an election?!?!?!

The actions of FDR and Lincoln you cite, for example, may have turned out to be quite negative or even criminal. But those were done with the intent to govern. Or, at the least, to make our nation better or safer. Now compare those with the criminal Trump establishing fake slates of electors, coercing state officials and his VP, and repeatedly lying to the point that it incited an attack on our Capitol.

The excuse-making and apologizing for a CRIMINAL are simply shocking. Good game, America.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Which prior Presidents attempted an autogolpe, or continued willfully breaking the law even after leaving office? Which prior President behaves with almost total disdain towards the “legal process”, as Trump does?

Perhaps rather than looking at the “Biden DOJ” for breaking with precedent, you might want to ponder some of these factors as well.

• Like Like x 1
  15. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    &

As if CRT, DEI, and "wokism" actually arent practiced and actively promoted by the Left in this country....mere figments of our imagination...as if Trump would have been prosecuted, had he not decided to run again...

Keep 'calling our bluff', we'll keep calling BS on y'all.

And we'll see yall at the polls.

PS--can you say "president Trump"?

...again? Lol!

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  16. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    He always had it. Tradition, restraint, respect for the system...prevented its deployment heretofore.

PS--member how Hillary was indicted by Trump's DOJ when he was President last time? Yeah...me either.

:cool:

17. gatorjo

gatorjo GC Hall of Fame

Feb 24, 2024
    So many claim to be patriotic. And/or against crime.

Until they fall in love with a convicted felon, criminal, traitor, rapist who accepted help in an election from Russia, and tried to criminally overturn a presidential election.....and then they aren't.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    Not charging presidents with felonies is tradition? Lol

• Like Like x 1
  19. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    The last few years of supreme court decisions are pretty much the end of the notion of a liberal (small l) democracy in this country. Starting with Citizens United, moving to the series of decisions which have basically made bribery legal if structured correctly (the money was provided after the act, not before!), and now the notion that any official act is presumed legal even if done for purely personal gain (while maintaining the court's ability to define it in the future to meet partisan needs, of course), we now have a system that more closely resembles an oligarchical authoritarian system than a small-l liberal democracy.

All of it because a group of people began to feel like their status as rightful rulers and owners of the country were threatened by social change.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2024 at 1:08 PM
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    This just makes establishment of the coming dictatorship that much easier. Trump will get plenty of input from Putin, who knows all about how it's done.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1