Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

If it wasn't FSU, would you feel bad for them??

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by uf1998, Dec 5, 2023.

1. uf1998

uf1998 Senior

Aug 19, 2023
    So you're saying FSU should be penalized for a game that took place 10 years earlier? That's an interesting angle.

• Like Like x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  2. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    I believe this is the first time they’ve ever truly let the four best teams in and Georgia really should be included and kick out undefeated Washington if you ask me

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  3. phatGator

phatGator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2007
    Dayton, Ohio
    Is that a publicly stated objective of the playoff system, or is that just what you feel it should be? I’ve always felt it be most deserving.

It’s always bothered me that a team could lose its conference championship and yet still play for national championship. It always bugged me when Talking Heads would describe the entire season as a playoff, and then some undefeated team loses its last game and still plays for the national championship.

By the way, I do not think FSU was in the top four most deserving.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Tito22

Tito22 GC Hall of Fame

May 13, 2007
    Also because FSU didn't deserve to be there over Miami (and reality is Washington should have been in the natty, but that year was definition of east coast bias)

5. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Hall of Fame

Feb 22, 2017
    tmp.gif

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    No, I’m saying they have very little chance to win against anyone there without Travis. They just aren’t a top four team without him. Their last two games illustrates that beyond doubt.

• Winner Winner x 3
  7. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Yes , quoted by the director of the committee before the decision was made. Always has been. They’ve just never done it before. They should have put a two loss Bama in last year and 65-7 in the championship would have never happened. Screw people’s feelers and get the best teams.sorry, the sec is just better.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    No, they just can’t beat top teams without Travis… not with him either but no go without him,

• Winner Winner x 2
  9. mocgator

mocgator VIP Member

Apr 10, 2007
    The ATL
    IMG_2878.jpg

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. mocgator

mocgator VIP Member

Apr 10, 2007
    The ATL
    IMG_2877.jpg

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  11. tigator2019

tigator2019 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 25, 2018
    In my head--- UF
    93 FSU lobbied and jumped undefeated WVU / conference champ

in 2000 after losing to scUM they lobbied, jumped scUM and made the NC game

F them

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. UF24ou14

UF24ou14 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2009
    In Texas' favor was their double digit win over Bama in Tuscaloosa. While uga lost to Alabama, and they also played a pretty weak schedule just like fsu.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. paindoc

paindoc Freshman

Sep 28, 2018

14. paindoc

paindoc Freshman

Sep 28, 2018

15. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Fresno, CA
    No, I wouldn’t feel worse for another team that finished in their same position and got left out. I still strongly feel that TCU and Notre Dame should have been left out for obviously stealing spots from teams who could better compete.

So, no, I wouldn’t feel bad for them. But as long as we’re being honest, I wouldn’t feel nearly as good about the level of weeping and gnashing of teeth coming from the Crim faithful. Now they have a small taste of the outrage I felt when Jameis Winston’s accuser’s rape kit (which the TPD never ran until the charges went public a year later) came back positive for his DNA, and he was not charged immediately, never missed so much as a practice. He was just too important to the Crims for something so pesky as a legitimate rape investigation.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. MarineG8R

MarineG8R GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2014
    Here is the first statement of there protocols

HOW TO SELECT THE FOUR BEST TEAMS TO COMPETE FOR THE COLLEGE FOOTBALL PLAYOFF NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  17. thom1507

thom1507 All American

Oct 13, 2019
    I honestly think if FSU's offense didn't look so anemic in the last two games, they'd have gotten in. The drop off was astonishing. It's like they turned into the ACCs version of Iowa.

Some of it is just plain bad luck. Their OOC SEC schools weren't big resume' builders (though LSU ended up being the highest team they beat.) Their 70th ranked schedule by W-L didn't help. For reference, UCF had the #39 schedule by W-L in their 12-0 year. NCAA Statistics

I'm not sure what rock people have been under. CFB championships have always been about opinion. First it was freaking newspaper writers who crowned "champions" for decades and its taken this long for them to get it closer to a real sport. What makes it worse, the other NCAA divisions have been running playoffs for a long time.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  18. deathroll

deathroll GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    St. Petersburg, FL
    In 1993, Nebraska finished 11-1, was beaten by fsu in the Orange Bowl. WVU also finished 11-1, was beaten by the Mighty Florida Gators in the Sugar Bowl.

Now what is strange is that FSU's 11-1 team was voted number 1, to win their first National Championship, ahead of the 11-1 Notre Dame team that gave them their loss!

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Fresno, CA
    I remember that season well.
    upload_2023-12-5_20-49-21.jpeg

• Informative Informative x 2
  20. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I don't think they got "royally screwed" by the selection of Alabama (or Texas, or Michigan, or Washington). They were a victim of the selection size. I don't think anybody can legitimately tell you that SWAC is unquestionably a better team than any of those listed above them...that makes the decision reasonable (at minimum).

There are a few concepts that some buy into that others don't that I think leads to this sort of discrepancy. There are some folks that think conference champions that go undefeated are necessarily better than other conference champions that don't go undefeated. Why? Is Liberty better than Alabama too? If not, why? Does that same why possibly apply to Alabama as compared to SWAC as well?

There's also a consideration built into the CFP committee consideration that requires consideration of loss of a key player. I legitimately don't understand how anybody can watch SWAC's last two games and not understand the value that Travis added to this team and why his loss wouldn't be valued as significant. Is this a matter of people thinking the selection committee got it wrong or are they just not liking the actual criteria?

The SEC Championship Game was very clearly seen as a play-in game to a large portion of the country. For some reason, some Seminole fans seem to get a different message. Why? I've seen it said that all the Seminoles had to do was win the ACC Championship Game (Kanell maybe?), what was that mentality based on? I never bought the idea that Alabama was potentially competing against Texas. I thought both were in with a win, and I never saw anything that legitimately challenged that idea.

No undefeated P5 champion has been left out. No SEC Champion has been left out. Something had to give. Given what we've seen from the SEC, how can anybody tell you with a straight face that the P5 undefeated would hold greater weight?

I can 100% live with the idea that SWAC should have been included with the 4 teams that were selected (so should Georgia, maybe Ohio State, maybe even Oregon?). What I can't accept is that the decision to pick Alabama over SWAC was some how egregious or woefully unfair. That just isn't true. Alabama had their chances and they capitalized (see 4th down vs. Auburn, SECCG win vs. the #1 team in the country). SWAC had their chances to show that the loss of Travis was not significant, and they barely scraped by a 5-6 FLORIDA team and a Louisville team that just lost 38-31 to t9th best team in the SEC.

People will be dramatic, we don't have to buy into it.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1