Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

I apologize to the board

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by uf1998, Apr 8, 2024.

1. Gatorgal04

Gatorgal04 Lowly Fan Moderator

Apr 3, 2007
    Titletown, FL
    Thanks for starting this thread, although no apology needed and it should be titled "State your anguish and/or analyze this team".

I went to the Dugout Club meeting last night where Scott Carter, Senior Writer for the UAA, spoke. Poor Scott, this was scheduled weeks ago and he got stuck with this meeting after a bad weekend. He's a big baseball fan who was very gracious and answered all questions based on what he knows about the team and administration.

It was good to get together with everyone and share our disappointment, discontent, and more importantly happy hour! I feel much better and have come to the following conclusions:

1) I love watching baseball because it's a great sport where all kinds of esoteric things can happen. Therefore, I'm happy to continue posting play-by-play.
    2) I love attending the games in person. In my section we have people who have come up with different cheers. Here's one for you:
    - When #6 comes up to bat a guy stands up and says: "The right of the people to keep and bear arms . . ."
    We all respond: "SHELNUT"
    And he finishes: "be infringed"
    3) I expect us to lose all remaining games. I know that's not too likely, as we'll stumble into a few wins somehow. But you have to be realistic.
    4) If things turn out well, I'm hoping at the end of the season we get to attend FSU's regional.
    5) Meanwhile, I'm not wearing any more baseball shirts to the games. Instead, the Ice Hockey National Championship shirt, Lacrosse, Volleyball, and Women's Basketball will be featured.

You have to do, whatever you have to do, to maintain your sanity. See you on the game threads!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  2. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Truer words have never been said better. Its not that we want to quit on this team or season, but to maintain my sanity, or insanity as some would suggest, I'm already starting to put my thoughts towards fall ball. I can't get too wrapped up in all the issues right now.

3. gator1977

gator1977 GC Legend

Apr 15, 2019
    The sf
    If that is the case, probably should not be out there (why has Mummau not played at all) and if Kurland just has remaining tenderness in the hand it would help to go oppo more often rather than swinging from the heels and jerking the head away on near every pitch.

4. albertasdad

albertasdad Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Central Gla
    Did you see this years Ryder Cup which seems to mean more to players then individual competition.
    great players get their butts handed to them.
    Food for thought. :)

5. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Daytona Beach
    Shelnut and Kurland wouldn’t start for anyone. Colby maybe as a number 6-8 player
    Evans has a chance
    Cags of course. He is the best player in America

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  6. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Daytona Beach
    I wouldn’t say his bat is coming anywhere around . Tell me what I’m missing? Just talking baseball here

7. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    2x—

When I read the last line of this post of yours I immediately remembered Jacob Young’s throws from second base when he had to play some games there….:emoji_astonished:

8. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Yea, my bad.
    I only saw one of the Mizzou games live and looking at the stats he only had one hit, so tough series for him.
    I was going off the Miss St series where he hit over .300 and of course the Rattler game where he homered. Coming off that he was just under .300, but now down to . .275 overall, not that bav is my favorite stat, but everyone relates to it.

Again looking at the stats, I think Cags, Evans, probably Shelnut (3B) and Shelton start somewhere for most teams. After that it's pretty sad, especially looking at sec stats. :(
    Also, I think Nealy and Slater would have solid roles on most teams not named Arkansas.

9. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

87—

I understand completely on the sanity side of this situation. I was a State Trooper for 31 years. I coached pitchers during that time at the JUCO level for 15 years and at the HS level for 5 years both for the love of the game and my own sanity outlet around the Patrol.

Sanity is both important and healthy.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  10. insuragator

insuragator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    So simple but so difficult. Every pitch you need to know where to go and what to do with the ball if it is hit to you

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Thankfully, I don't recall that, but what do I know I only played 2nd a bit when I was 10. :eek: The motion does sometimes remind me of Purnell pitching tho, but as long as he makes the plays all good. Don't want to be too critical.

• Like Like x 1
  12. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Daytona Beach
    with Shelnut I would respond”don’t get picked “ don’t be mad at me Gal .

• Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  13. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    He's batting .308 (4 for 13) with 2 HR, 4 RBI and 3 R since dropping out of the leadoff spot.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

14. flgatr1

flgatr1 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    jacksonville, florida
    To use a tiring too often used phrase, you are what your record says you are. And, that probably is correct about this year's men and women's baseball and softball teams.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2024
  15. hogtowngator

hogtowngator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    We have derailed. We lose 2-1 then 9-8.

It just isn't our year.

16. petearc1

petearc1 Recruit

Nov 4, 2023

17. petearc1

petearc1 Recruit

Nov 4, 2023
    For many years now, baseball was the one UF sport to not break my heart too often. Hopefully we finish off the season on a stronger note.