Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

I am going to debate Donald Trump - Biden. Update: Rules set ...

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by citygator, May 15, 2024.

1. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

You have to dig real deep to see that post as hollier than thou. But its pretty typical of what the fringe contingent on the ultra left does here when someone wont lock step with them. Its all the way towards your hemisphere or nothing.

Oh well. Think as you wish man.
    I sleep fine.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. ridgetop

ridgetop GC Hall of Fame

Aug 4, 2020
    Top of the ridge
    There have been several posters tell Tilly that voting third party is basically a wasting his vote for no other reason than to feel better about himself for not voting for Trump. Not just on this thread but throughout the last several months. I too have been told that if I truly oppose Trump I have to vote Biden or else it’s just a wasted vote so that I. Can say I don’t vote Trump.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. scooterp

scooterp GC Hall of Fame

Feb 15, 2012
    Ahh yes… the Covid year. Where every nation on the planet had their shit together except this one. A really bad example.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    If every single poster on TH voted for Trump it would not matter.
    If every single poster on TH voted for Biden it would not matter.
    If we all rationally stayed home, it would not matter.

I suspect intellectually y'all know this. Peeps don't like acknowledging their insignificance.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    The TP thing back then was beyond bizarre.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. tilly

Thats sorta the point though right? People tell us we are doing some harm by not voting for a certain candidate, when we are actually accomplishing the only thing we can with our singular vote...

...Sleeping well at night knowing we voted our conscience. I have never voted to "win" per se.

Now I think enough conservatives have jumped ship to at least be a concern to the republican party and I am proud to be a part of that, but it is really about being able to look my kids in the eye and tell them I chose conscience over team.

If that makes me "hollier then thou" to certain extremes on this board... So be it. You cant win with such people.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist

Apr 3, 2007
    Agreed. I get the same response when expressing my intention of voting third party. Maybe Tilly sounded a bit harsh with his first post about the problem with voting for Biden, but I think his point deserves more consideration than it’s getting.

8. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    If you're going to reveal the way you choose to vote, esp. on a partisan message board of strangers, you can expect to get blowback. Why show yer hand then complain when people criticize your choices (this is more in reference to tilly than you; he loves to show his hand)?

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  9. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    1. you are not a conservative.

2. Several years ago when my kids were 14 - 16ish or so, we had this discussion. I said that I would be voting Libertarian, if I voted. My kids really didn't like the fact that I would vote for someone "who didn't have a chance of winning". I told them I was voting for who I thought would be best for the country* & that IMO everyone should do this. It took a while, but they came to see my pt & told me so - at least, my son did.

3. I recall telling my now 87 year old mom the same thing many years ago. She too did not get the voting for "someone with no chance" thing. After the election she said that I listened to what X said & liked it & so I voted for him. Not revealing X cuz he kinda went off the deep end later.

* that's not really true that I think they would be best. Ls are pretty out there nowadays. But, I think if they - or some other party - could get 5ish% of the vote, it would wake up the 2 majors...cuz Rs & Ds are much more concerned with those that will not just give 'em their vote, no matter what. Which brings me to another pt. 3rd parties NEVER need to win to matter. If the country is 48% yellow dog pubs & 48% yellow dog dems, the 4% that are neither will have a sig influence on policy cuz it's those votes that are in play. You don't need to win elections to be successful, you need to influence policy.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2024
  10. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist

Apr 3, 2007
    Oh certainly. Perhaps I am not grasping the entire situation, but I understand Tilly’s point to be that believing Trump to be unacceptable shouldn’t automatically mean one must vote for Biden. This argument seems to be bolstered by Biden’s debate performance.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. tilly

This used to bother me when people said it. Now, not so much. Honestly, I dont know what to call someone that thinks like me.

A weirdo probably. ;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  12. tilly

You are correct. And not just debate over if I should or shouldn't, (thats all fine and fair game), but a handful of posters are pretty jerky about the fact that never-Trumpers are still the problem because they vote for anyone else that isn't liberal.

Its a bully tactic that magnifies a narrow minded view that lacks nuance.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. WC53

WC53 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
    I admit it, I voted for little Ross once. Twas a wasted protest vote. Gawd we put forward some complete pos candidates.

• Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  14. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    I feel you. Right after I moved to small town Colo. I was at a function with a dude who said I really like this town, it's conservative. I insta-knew that what he meant had NOTHING to do with my idea of conservatism. I did not invite him over to bash Reagan & Big gov republicans & do bong hits. Few, few people want less government, no matter how many guns they have, no matter that they live under their beds in gated communities. Fear, IMO, has undermined conservatism more than anything.

15. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta VIP Member

Aug 14, 2007
    Gallatin, TN
    People bash you for voting for a third party because they want to keep the two-party stranglehold they have on the nation. We were warned about the two-party system and not many people care. Your opinion is cast aside if you try to go against the two gangs.

• Like Like x 2
  16. danmanne65

danmanne65 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 2, 2022
    DeLand
    Oh so they are going to eliminate the income averaging over three years? Try to think before you post.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  17. gator7_5

gator7_5 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Why the snarky remark? It doesn't work that way. Profit from a sale is included in total on that years tax return. Got a link for your "thoughtful" post? I'm not sure you even know what you are taking about.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2024
  18. ridgetop

ridgetop GC Hall of Fame

Aug 4, 2020
    Top of the ridge
    Your conservative.. not a republican
    Welcome to the club.

• Like Like x 1
  19. tilly

I view myself as a conservative with fiscally liberal tendencies. ;)

• Like Like x 2
  20. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    If your 3 year development job (land dev?) is under contract, you may need to recognize partial income for all 3 years under what is known as the “percentage of completion” revenue recognition model.

But if you are just doing it on your own that may not apply. So that poster may have conflated an inapplicable model depending on circumstances - which he would just be guessing. It also doesn’t apply to home construction as far as I know (which recognize completed contracts). The percentage of completion model is used more in major development and high rise projects which typically span several years and thus spreads the income recognition. If you are doing dev work under contract you should check it out with a CPA or something…but if it’s just small jobs or not under contracts then you are probably fine.