Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Hunter Biden to plead guilty to federal charges

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by oragator1, Jun 20, 2023.

1. oaklandroadie2

oaklandroadie2 Freshman

Nov 14, 2017
    Did the NYT remind readers that while all this was going on Hunter was renting from the "Big Guy" Joe for 5X the market rate. Wonder how flexible you'd have to be AzCat to square your belief in the guilt of Kavanaugh versus your dismissal of the allegations of Biden...I know, I know, it's (D)ifferent.

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. okeechobee

okeechobee GC Hall of Fame

Sep 11, 2022
    Thoughts?

3. mikemcd810

mikemcd810 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Pretty big mess up if the appointment isn't valid. Seems like a pretty basic box you would check off before creating a SC.

The part that adds some complexity here is that there wasn't any outside force pushing for a SC to be appointed with Garland choosing to go this route. Weiss has already said multiple times that he was given full autonomy, so the big question to me is why did he ask for this now?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Link to Hunter paying 5X market rate for rent for a property Joe owned, please. Because last time I checked, this claim was false.

As for Kavanaugh, I'm convinced something bad happened to Blasey-Ford. Not convinced Kavanaugh was the guilty party. Not enough hard evidence against him or his friend. Too much time had passed. Though plenty of innuendo and conjecture that points to Kavanaugh being the kind of kid who would have done something. But again, never enough evidence to vote against Kavanaugh and/or force him to withdraw his nomination, especially with only 1 other credible person coming forward, and 1 completely uncredible accusation. Would have like for Kavanaugh to admit he made some judgements in error as a child beyond just saying he liked beer, but he's a much better and changed person today, but that never happened.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    That would be hilarious/ridiculous. I doubt they made that type of oversight, seems too obvious with all the lawyers that probably looked at this.

6. okeechobee

Sep 11, 2022
    Regardless of which side you are on, if you are on a "side", something feels very off about this. First of all, you don't report a plea deal with the POTUS' son unless it's an iron clad, done deal. So there is some explaining to do somewhere on this. Hunter Biden isn't your run of the mill defendant whom you might have a "misunderstanding" with. One of the whistleblowers, who happens to be a gay Democrat, excoriated Republicans about not doing anything about it. An IRS whistleblower is an unwelcome issue as well. It's not often you hear about an IRS whistleblower complaining a taxpayer was being given special protections.

I truly don't know all the answers here, so this isn't a political rant. But obviously, some things look off and troublesome about this situation. I think "whistleblower" and "special counsel" have kind of lost their sting, as they are now like buzzwords, but when the whistleblower is an IRS agent, that's a problem.

7. pkaib01

pkaib01 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

8. okeechobee

Sep 11, 2022
    Side thought: I always found it strange Garland appointed an SC for Joe's classified documents case. I mean, why?