Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Hunter Biden to plead guilty to federal charges

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by oragator1, Jun 20, 2023.

1. WC53

WC53 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
    I can’t believe that many folks are charged with that 4473 violation. You would have to be under investigation for it to get noticed. Might apply to half the population of Ky and Fl ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    So you can be mentally ill with homicidal fantasies and buy a gun, but not high? What a country!

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. GatorBen

GatorBen Premium Member

Apr 9, 2007
    The questions on 4473 correspond to the prohibited persons categories in substantive federal gun law.

It’s essentially asking “are you prohibited from owning a gun” for a list of like 10 or 12 different reasons (are you buying this for someone else, do you intend to sell or dispose of this gun in furtherance of a felony, are you under indictment for a felony, are you a convicted felon, are you a fugitive, are you a drug user, have you been adjudged mentally incompetent or committed to a mental institution, were you dishonorably discharged from the armed forces, are you subject to a domestic violence restraining order, have you been convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence, have you ever renounced US citizenship, are you in the US illegally).

4. mrhansduck

mrhansduck GC Hall of Fame

Nov 23, 2021
    I didn't know that this is asked or charged, particularly for marijuana which is legal in many states. Seems like prosecuting people for lying about the use of any drug which is illegal under federal law likely discourages people from buying from licensed dealers. Practically, though, I guess most people willing to go through a gun dealer aren't dumb enough to record themselves using drugs.

5. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I was being a bit cheeky. Point still remains.

They don't ask whether you're a convicted drug user but whether you're a drug user, which famously, addicts don't usually admit, such that one of the first steps and most recovery programs is making a frank admission.

But for the other categories, an actual prior adjudication is required for you to fill out the form falsely. Even if the government can prove that you were mentally ill or committing domestic violence at the time you completed the forum, absent an actual adjudication, does not result in further legal liability.

The universe of those that are actually mentally incompetent and/or committing domestic violence is far far larger than those that have been adjudicated of either.

That's the point.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. okeechobee

okeechobee GC Hall of Fame

Sep 11, 2022
    Little early to make that prediction, as these pleas could spell more trouble down the road. You never know, the media might start asking questions.

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. ursidman

ursidman VIP Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC
    Joe Biden has weaponized the DOJ against his own son? Cold man. Cold

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Nah. They're going to complain that Hunter got off easy because he's the president's son even though the U.S. Attorney responsible for handling his case was a Trump appointee and he was treated the same as virtually every other defendant charged with similar crimes.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  9. GatorBen

GatorBen Premium Member

Apr 9, 2007
    How it’s supposed to work, if the buyer answers those prohibited persons questions truthfully, is that the dealer looks at the “yes” answer and says “it’s illegal for you to own a gun” and stops the sale.

In practice, I think the vast majority of 4473 false statement charges are for straw purchases (falsely certifying that you’re not buying the gun on behalf of someone else) because most people who are federally disqualified from gun ownership aren’t dumb enough to try to buy a gun at the gun store and lie on the form.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. okeechobee

okeechobee GC Hall of Fame

Sep 11, 2022
    No, he tried to stop it and the GOP House made sure it was handled.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Creative Creative x 1
  11. ursidman

ursidman VIP Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC
    The House has jurisdiction over the DOJ? I did not know that. Thanks.

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  12. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    And what evidence to you have for that statement? Seems that you're trying to attribute motivation to Joe Biden that would be more applicable to your guy.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Even better, they will contend that this is proof of Biden manipulating the justice system to hide the dirty money he took in bribes from foreign actors.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    All data, no matter which way it goes, always proves the conspiracy. Data tending to disprove the conspiracy only shows the extent of the cover-up

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Reports are that he will plead guilty to a few misdemeanors. What I don’t understand is why the tax investigation of him was public knowledge. To my knowledge, and I practiced in the tax controversy area for some very large companies, tax investigations are supposed to be confidential.

16. mrhansduck

mrhansduck GC Hall of Fame

Nov 23, 2021
    A friend of mine asked to see if you know how many hours or days one could abstain from marijuana use and be considered a non user for purposes of the form. Thanks.

• Funny Funny x 4
  17. 108

108 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    NYC
    Also felony charges of illegally possessing a firearm as a drug user.

I am not personally sure how the 2 (firearm & drug user) are connected though.

18. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Obviously disqualifies Joe from being potus, he should resign immediately if not sooner.
    Hunter broke the law, he should face the consequences just like anyone else.

19. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    It’s wild how they try to pin what this grown man does on his daddy

• Agree Agree x 1