Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

HR celebration ejection??

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by jhfxof, Feb 21, 2023.

1. jhfxof

jhfxof GC Hall of Fame

Apr 21, 2007

Im pretty nit picky on celebrations, but Im not seeing much here. And he didnt appear to say anything to other team. Article said HC also ejected.. I bet..lol

It was an arrogant HR trot,,but not excessive IMO And saw much much worse on non HRs around the country last weekend

2. hoyt233

hoyt233 GC Hall of Fame

Aug 31, 2009
    Prattvile, AL-Go Lions!
    I agree, not much to see-maybe the umps son played on the other team. LOL.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I'd much prefer celebrations be handled internally than by officials (I understand there's a line to be drawn somewhere, but this ain't it). The umpires have enough on their plate as it is. Also, any umpire ejecting a player or a coach/manager should be required to field questions in a post game press conference if interest exists.

In this case, however, the problem is clear. He underlines his school name in the reverse direction. Clearly a faux paus that violates known (and unknown) dugout rules.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Ol’blue must’ve taken his EGO pills twice before the game….nothing really to see here.

We’ve all seen worse—the arrogant bat flips towards the opposing dugouts, grabbing their crotch and running that mouth, and on and on……that has been “overlooked”……

One obvious answer to the problem—

EAR HOLE……

• Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Winner x 1
  5. landogator22

landogator22 Premium Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Tampa Bay
    I’m right there with you. The game used to police itself but now pitchers are held accountable while hitters can do virtually whatever they want.

Of course there are also ways around that too. I can remember back when the visitors had the 1st base side dugout at the Mac, a few “errant” throws made their way into the visitors dugout.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  6. MatsideObserver

MatsideObserver GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2008
    Welcome to the Ump Show. That is beyond ridiculous.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. jhfxof

jhfxof GC Hall of Fame

Apr 21, 2007
    I view it from a pitchers perspective.. Worth a beaning next AB or not. Unless he was mouthing off, hes safe in my book.

I saw a batter yelling/taunting RF over wekend for making an E, allowing him to advance a base, so obviously subjective..lol

AU Fr Ike Irish, has a bad habit that I wouldnt like as a P( or just watching)... Every ball taken, especially close,, he looks at P and shakes his head. Id cure that quick if pitching lol

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    Did you see Riopelle Sunday after their right fielder dropped his fly ball and then sulked before throwing it back in? Riopelle took 2nd and then looked at the right fielder and wagged his finger. Love B.T.'s passion, but back in the day his next time at bat would have been "brushed back" by their pitcher. Just part of the game in pitchers taking up for their guys.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 3
  9. jhfxof

jhfxof GC Hall of Fame

Apr 21, 2007
    I think that was one I saw that i Mentioned above. Made me chuckle, but yeah,,what you said

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

jhf—

THE thing that burns me is this—ok, I’m pitching and sitting in the dugout while we are at bat. OUR hitter gets HBP and Ol’blue roars out from behind HP, snatches his mask off flapping his arms like a chicken and gives a warning to their pitcher and then storms our dugout like it’s Omaha Beach and loudly issues a warning at me about retaliation……

So according to Ol’blue I have no option to protect my teammates. My answer to that is “Coach, you better have somebody loose” because when that hitter comes up to AB again I’m standing up strong for my teammates.

Same thing if they take a cheap shot at any of our infielders on the base paths. And just to clarify the difference between brush back and knock down—

A brush back is just that—an inside pitch with the intent of moving the hitter from leaning on the plate.

A real knock down (IMHO) is FB thrown at the hitter’s front arm pit. They can move their head’s relatively fast as well as their feet. Where I throw it they can’t duck or jump it—all they can do is turn and wear it.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. Bear1974

Bear1974 VIP Member VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    St. Augustine, FLA
    I’m not sure what the purpose of giving more powers to the umps. You get into these rivalry games where the talking takes place like a Miami or fsu or vandy or utooth who all they do is talk then I’m not sure how you will control it.

12. crescent_beach

crescent_beach GC Legend

Sep 25, 2016
    Everyone around us on the shallow left field berm, including the women’s lacrosse team, all saw it and commented… most comments were akin to “that wasn’t called for BT”…

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. jhfxof

jhfxof GC Hall of Fame

Apr 21, 2007
    Ejections is how apparently

14. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Old school. Let the players decide it. I like it.

15. flgatr1

flgatr1 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    jacksonville, florida
    Totally unnecessary. Takes the fun out of part of the game.

16. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Uh, I watched it and couldn't figure out what he did that was even close unless he said something. o_O

17. jhfxof

jhfxof GC Hall of Fame

Apr 21, 2007
    Had to be the name underlining .. there was slight bat flip, after carrying it a little to far down line , both would bother me more than that if looking to be bothered. Even the hand shake w/ 3B coach was worse IMO. Maybe he reached the max number of violations per HR trot..lol

Now if he was doing the thumbs to back of jersey , as in look at me, a diffrent story.. But the name on front underlining falls almost into team celebration.

18. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Besides the extreme bat flips, the one thing that I wish they would settle down is the stomp at home plate. When both teams get it going it becomes a taunt celebration, especially during weekend series. After a game or two if both teams are trying to show up the other (Hello Vandy and UT) you see the home run hitter stare into the other dugout when they stomp on the plate. I think of this with the center logo of a football field and the visiting team comes in and stomps on it before the game. Congrats for the hitting the homerun but at like you've been there. My suggestion is first time warning to both benches, next time auto eject.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  19. jhfxof

jhfxof GC Hall of Fame

Apr 21, 2007
    ^^ I dont care for the plate stomping either. Think that started in softball.lol

20. KronoGator

KronoGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    No fun allowed. Baseball is serious business.

• Funny Funny x 2