Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

HOW IS THE OL DEVELOPING?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by doctorg8r, Jan 23, 2024.

1. doctorg8r

doctorg8r GC Hall of Fame

Dec 11, 2018
    This is being discussed on another thread, and it deserves its own thread. Am I correct in saying this is one of the most critical needs? Is the issue talent, coaching, or both? I think we all agree this is a huge problem! There are two OL coaches, but is this a strength? Your thoughts, GN?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  2. grant1

grant1 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 10, 2009
    I think mostly a talent issue, but one might say that those 2 can't bring in the talent, then it's a coaching/recruiting issue

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  3. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    To the OP:

Not very well. But we shall see in the spring. That is unless Napier calls off the defense. But since the defense is more of a question mark than the O-line, I seriously doubt he would do that.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Mikog8tor

Mikog8tor GC Hall of Fame

Aug 16, 2010
    Too many cooks in the kitchen IMO. Don’t know of any other team that has two line coaches and so far there is no proof it’s a benefit.

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    I've seen it mentioned and I don't disagree that we had a bunch of huge bodies on the Oline but not much athleticism or talent the first two years as well as people playing out of position as a result. Like to think some of that gets rectified this year. Not sure why people seem so firm in their belief it's because we have two coaches. I can't say that either way.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  6. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    From On3:
    Florida Gators offensive line: Is it better in 2024?

Additions: Brandon Crenshaw-Dickson, Devon Manuel, Marcus Mascoll, Noel Portnjagin, Fletcher Westphal, Mike Williams
    Departures: Kingsley Eguakun, Richie Leonard, Jordan Herman, Lyndell Hudson, Jalen Farmer, Micah Mazzccua

Analysis
    Is the room better in 2024 than 2023?
    No.

"The Gators will lose their starting right and left guards, as well as their center. Getting Jake Slaughter back softens that blow....Slaughter played 574 snaps and was the Gators’
    highest-rated run blocker among offensive linemen and third-highest pass blocker (more than 30 snaps). He’ll return to his starting role in 2024.

The Gators will also return Austin Barber who started at left tackle in eight games last season while totaling 561 snaps. Barber’s play wasn’t as good in 2023 at left tackle as it
    was in 2024 at right tackle. The addition of Brandon Crenshaw-Dickson could allow Barber to slide back to right tackle.
    The Gators also added Devon Manuel who can play tackle. Kam Waites is still thought of as a guard by the staff but has experience playing tackle as well.

The interior of the line is where the Gators will have question marks. Knijeah Harris looks like he will be a starter but the Gators don’t have any proven depth at guard. Damieon George will more than likely slide inside after struggling at right tackle in 2023. The numbers may be the same as last year, but the Gators lost a ton of experience and their line will be young and unproven heading into 2024."

Last edited: Feb 3, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. tegator80

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Nothing to disagree with. Kind of sad in the transfer era.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  8. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Tampa, FL
    It’s a mid level G5 line, at best, imho. I’m not blaming the players, they are who they are. The blame falls at the feet of Billy & the OL coaches, 2 of them no less. They’re not much, on or off the trail. They window is wide open right now, their contracts expire. Upgrade in the one glaring need area. Spencer was making $1mil per and I believe Raymond was $750k. The 2 new guys are likely well under that. Use that money saved and the $1.5mil you’re paying the 2 current OL coaches and go get a top-shelf OL coach and a OC.

upload_2024-1-23_13-26-50.png

• Informative x 6
    • Like x 4
    • Dislike x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Best Post Ever x 1
  9. tegator80

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    See post above.

The definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing and expecting different results. Who is in charge of identifying, signing, and developing talent? Coaches. Who has prioritized the O-line by using one more field coach (they are limited, not analysts) to the position and yet has middling (or worse) performance...for two straight years? Kentucky is middling and yet has eaten our lunch both years. That is NOT an aberration. It is real.

• Agree Agree x 9
  10. archigator_96

archigator_96 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2020
    I would take the O line we had any of the past 5 years if we could get back to a defense that leads us to more of th +18 turnover margin. Some sacks would be nice too.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    I have been disappointed to this point but who's to say Harris and kearney haven't made that leap and the coaches are good with what is shaping up along with our transfers? I expect the worst and hope for the best but if we see George move inside and barber return to the right side then I'm good until otherwise proven. Just trying to be constructive. Obviously it hasn't been ideal.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. tegator80

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    That is optimistic. And we can always play the "lack of S&C card" to explain the recent malaise. I would only say that if some of the guys were prepared to step into big roles, they would have been doing it in the last 2-3 games last year. Expecting their to just become real men after spring training is a step too far for me.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. doctorg8r

Dec 11, 2018
    I heard this very comment during a game last year from Herb Kirkstreit-- the Gators lineman have massive bodies but no athleticism. I think that was said about the defensive lineman, but it certainly applies to both!

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    Yeah. You don't have to be too football savvy to see we got some big dudes but not much for quickness, explosiveness or athleticism on either line. Not downing the guys we have but you have to have a guy here and there that requires a double team. Who other than Dexter has anyone had to scheme or account for in the past two years? Torrence on the Oline.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 3
  15. thom1507

thom1507 All American

Oct 13, 2019
    Uh, aren't Harris and Kearney FR. It is rare to get any solid production on the OL from first year kids out of HS.

As far as losing experience, Kingsley barely played last year and when he did try to play through the injury, it wasn't real pretty. I am not so sure Slaughter wouldn't have beaten him out if he has a strong offseason. While it would've been nice to have leonard back, it was time to make way for some higher ceiling guys. Mazz was a gap solution for last year and I think there were other issues. We'll know more after the spring, but I do think we will be better in 24. It also helps to have an experienced qb coming back to get you out of those bad plays to begin with.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. doctorg8r

Dec 11, 2018
    The recruits and tranfers this year seems to be a vast improvement!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  17. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    Uh, I think you quoted the wrong guy. I said I expect Harris and kearney to have made the leap this year. Didn't mention their youth because that was implied. Someone else said they would have gotten some snaps if they were worthy...which I disagree with. Offensive line is generally the most developmental position out there.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  18. doctorg8r

Dec 11, 2018
    You reminded me that last year I was expecting the OL to mature, develop, and be a more cohesive unit as the season progressed; especially with two OL coaches! And I was hoping we might give Georgia competition; wishful thinking!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  19. doctorg8r

Dec 11, 2018
    Thans for the information!

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. MarineG8R

MarineG8R GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2014
    AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!