Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

How Does Billy Save His Job?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by doctorg8r, Sep 10, 2024.

1. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

What’s this ‘we’ stuff coop? You always seem to put yourself out on an island with your laughable posts

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    While you laugh at my posts, the rest of the country is laughing at our coach. Good to see you back!

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  3. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Fresno, CA
    I do agree that it’s a must-win game, but I’m not sure it’s as significant or predictive of future performance as the Miami game was. One of the things that made the Miami game so important was the eight months of preparation that went into it against another third-year coach in a very similar situation. One can’t be sure, of course, but it looks like one team took its offseason seriously and the other didn’t. I’m just not sure if it’s possible to play catch-up of eight months in the space of this week. But let’s see how it plays out. Go Gators! I still can’t stand aTm. Firing Jimbo helped reduce my antipathy. But not enough.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  4. nawlinsgator

nawlinsgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    If he can manage a winning record , he should and would still be the head coach. From the looks of it, that's a tall task.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    Winning season, somehow. But, I hope he manages to stick around, because Lagway is the future, and, he will hit the road if Napier does.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  6. garettk

garettk GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2008
    Mayo, FL
    He can absolutely save his job. In addition to what he must do I would add what he absolutely cannot do: go 0-5 to end the season. Especially with fsu being down this year. The last thing I want to see is a race to the bottom with them.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    He needs to win more than he loses this year. He needs to completely SCRAP his abomination of defensive scheme. He needs to hand off his play calling and designs to a tier 1 offensive coordinator. He needs to get rid of our current OL coach(es) and bring in a top notch guy who can coach and recruit.

8. MaceoP

MaceoP GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Only one way he saves his job. He starts Lagway taking over the helm, CBN opens up the O, and we become a different team. It may not be this game, but certainly against Miss St. this has to happen. The odds on us completely turning things around with no major changes have to be infinitesimal.

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  9. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    Don't know if it's possible but personally speaking, he can't lose to ucf or fsu and keep his job. At least he shouldn't be able to.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I like Napier, I wish he were the genius coach many of us would love to have as our head ball coach...

I just don't think his coaching skills are on the same plane of existence as the Gators' expectation for a head football coach.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  11. Endless Excuses

Endless Excuses GC Hall of Fame

Jan 13, 2010
    Swampville
    If we hire a great coach or even a big name coach he will probably stay...if we hire another up and comer from some no name school intent on 3.34 yards and a cloud of dust he is gone.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Fresno, CA
    You don’t know that to a certainty or even to a probability. In that scenario, it all depends on who would succeed Napier as head coach. For instance, if we got Kiffin, then my bet is Lagway would stay. If, however, we get Coach Brand X from Southwest Brand X Tech A&M, the hot hand of the Piccadilly Conference, then, yeah, you might be right. We may have just given Georgia their next QB.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Fresno, CA
    Ha! Great minds …

14. partdopy

partdopy GC Hall of Fame

Feb 1, 2012
    I agree in that I don't like what appears to be his vision for the team, but picking someone with a successful plan and strategy for the team was the job of the hiring committee.

15. traubgator

traubgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Simple -- he has to win and show progress - no more terrible in game coaching moments and we have to see improvements on special teams, offense and defense.
    Each week is a litmus test.
    week 1 - fail
    week 2 - neither a fail or success - not a meaningful game in the long term

week 3 and moving forward -- lose to A&M, ouch, epic fail
    if he can some how win 3 SEC games, he might have a chance of survival -- maybe
    that would be beating a&m, miss state and kentucky.
    But even with that, if we then lose to Tenn, UGA, TEXAS, LSU, ole miss and FSU - no way he can be retained

so I guess we have to beat A&M, Miss state, kentucky and Tenn for any chance he saves his job.
    Can't get blown out by UGA or Texas, and probably need to be FSU.

But again, i think we lose our next 2 games, and he is fired before the UCF game, hopefully he proves "us" wrong

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. KronoGator

KronoGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Win Games.

No "well if we get an OC" or "we just need this recruit" no, not anymore, not 27 games in, Win some Games.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  17. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    And keep Lagway out of the portal.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Exactly what Saban did.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  19. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    If Lagway leaves, he has done for sure

• Like Like x 1
  20. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Playing DJ from the start of the game would be a different approach than he had for Miami. Spurrier said do something different for God sakes.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1