Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

How Does Billy Save His Job?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by doctorg8r, Sep 10, 2024.

1. maxgator

maxgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    The team deserves our support. Wherever the chips fall with Napier, they fall.

I agree that I would much prefer he bail himself out to avoid us having to hire a new coach. But the program can't keep doing the same crap. You know when Saban publicly craps all over the culture, there a problem and that the chances of him staying here are slim. But if he needs to be replaced, it has to be with a proven coach.

I think there's is a one word solution to most of the problems... Lagway.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    No, I'm good.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  3. SmootyGator

SmootyGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 17, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    Every game is part of the puzzle. We'll get more and more of a picture as the season progresses. That's why I don't like putting absolutes out there like 7 wins and he stays/goes... There are a lot of varying 7-win scenarios out there. Some really good, and some really bad.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    I agree with most everything you said. Lagway is definitely the answer long term, and the team needs our support regardless of the coaching status. But, culture is not generally the problem with this team. Saban is not an insider to our program and he is wrong. We almost never have guys getting in fights in the locker room, getting ejected from games, skipping practices, being late to meetings, missing classes, cussing out coaches, taking every other play off, crashing cars and killing people while street racing, DUIs, getting arrested. Those are culture problems. Not saying we don't get the occasional issue, but, for the most part, that is not what is impacting this team. The problems here are purely football related, and we obviously have some.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Fresno, CA
    While some 7-win scenarios are surely better than others, I cannot think of a single bad one. I’m afraid the point is moot because this does not look like a 7-win team right now, not by a country mile.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    And, he will have lost all support of the fan base and boosters, not to mention a complete stop to recruiting because recruits won’t come here under uncertainty.

Getting the new coach in as soon as possible is absolutely critical. He’s gonna have a helluva sales job. This is what makes Meyer so uniquely attractive right now because he can start in theory any time (assuming he’d even want to come back to coach anywhere)

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Fresno, CA
    How about we cut the baby in half this way: hire Coach Urban Meyer as Assistant Athletic Director for Football with on-field leadership privileges. Billy Napier is still "head coach," of course. He just has to run any meaningful decision by Meyer before proceeding. Examples of meaningful decisions are going for it on fourth down, who the starting QB is, who personally coaches Special Teams, who takes the press conferences, and so on. That way everyone wins. Napier gets to keep his job. The Athletic Department gets to keep its buyout. The fans get to keep their hope. I don't see a downside.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  8. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

The idea of getting Urban Meyer back here is absurd

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. chemgator

chemgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Groundhog Day?

10. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    My question is: what is his motivation to win games? He can make pretty good money by continuing to coach at Florida, but he can make a hell of a lot more by tanking and taking the buyout. He'll have enough money to retire ten times over. His great grandchildren can retire if they want to. "Welcome to kindergarten--what's your name?" "It's Johnny Napier, and I have an announcement. I have had enough of this school. I'm retiring."

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    And is good news for us, we think. If we end up losing to a group of losers once thought invincible we'll know where we're at.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. DieAGator

Apr 3, 2007
    We are with you 2old. Looking ahead, if we do improve and surprise some people, I know this board is too proud to start showing symptoms of a Gator version of Volsheimers. You win when you play, no looking back with what if we played now nonsense.

13. DieAGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Agree except that, I would take 7 ugly, ridiculous, how did we not lose that game?, 1 point wins, in a heartbeat and laugh all the way to our bowl game. Think of 6 more wins and it would mean we had to beat a few pretty good teams. But agree with the bold, nonetheless.

I presume at this point Napier doesn't have good assistants, cannot marshal their best efforts, or perhaps refuses to take advice from them and believes he sees things that other more competent advisors would tell him just do not exist in reality.

14. DieAGator

Apr 3, 2007
    True. Would be one thing if he were actively coaching, motivated, and wanted to MGFGA.

• Like Like x 1
  15. spike718

spike718 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    “but he can make a hell of a lot more by tanking and taking the buyout”

technically not true. If he finishes his contract out at UF he will make 15% more than his current buyout. This also does not take into account if he is successful at UF he would likely get an extension that pays more money and over a longer time period. He also will likely never have another big contract coaching football if he gets canned at UF due to a crappy record.

now, he could get less money in less years for doing nothing by getting fired. But his overall compensation is larger if he ends up completing the contract. Still life changing money either way though.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
  17. eightiesgator

eightiesgator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 16, 2017
    DJ is a true freshman without any experience. After a rough start, Kiffin has improved every team he coached.

Tennessee: from 5-7 to 7-6. Not substantial, but an improvement.
    How do define "winning?" Would you have Napier's performance as opposed to, say, Zook's?

18. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    Of course, if he tanks, he gets the money more-or-less now, versus having to wait for it (and work for it). If he makes 8% interest in the stock market on that money, the numbers are probably fairly close.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. Endless Excuses

Endless Excuses GC Hall of Fame

Jan 13, 2010
    Swampville
    It would be absolutely crazy if you keep a coach whose three trips into the offseason amounted to 0-15 or 1-14. The chance BN is coach next year is near to zero.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

WTH is MGFGA?

• Agree Agree x 1