Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

How Do We Scratch Out 2 Or 3 More Wins This Year?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by The_RH_Factor, Oct 7, 2023.

1. eastowest

eastowest GC Hall of Fame

May 13, 2007
    Ap Poll as of today
    1- Uga
    4- Fsu
    9- Texas
    13- Ole Miss
    19- Tennessee
    22- Lsu
    24- Kentucky
    25- Miami
    Others receiving votes
    Texas AM
    That's 9 of our 12 teams we play next year
    At Miss st
    UCF
    Samford

2. nawlinsgator

nawlinsgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    If we somehow manage a win at any of LSU, FSU or UGa. We be nice

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. The_RH_Factor

The_RH_Factor GC Hall of Fame

Aug 11, 2010
    As I’ve said multiple times (Skink?), it’s hard to predict turnovers and injuries to key players in advance.

At the end of every season, we speculate how things are going to look for the next season in deciding how we’re going to do in the future.

4. Onewolf42

Onewolf42 Freshman

Apr 3, 2007
    I moved to the Knoxville area late last year. Beating the Vols this year makes it so much easier to live up here for the next year. :D

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. FranceGator

FranceGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Count me as one that wants to get off the revolving-coach train. Quick fixes...aren't. These players in a couple of years are going to blow up (as long as OL gets some real talent.)

For this year, I think our crazy-young team grows up before FSU. Last year, at FSU, we nearly pulled it out, despite AR with 9-27 passing. Just another defensive meltdown.

Better defense this year, at home, but FSU is also better. We need our side to be healthy, them to be hurt. That could be an equalizer.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. gbranton

gbranton GC Legend

Sep 3, 2023
    Huntsville, AL
    This is a tough one, it’s been a crazy year in the SEC with all sorts of ins, outs and what have yous. I’d say three to four wins would be overly optimistic, zero to one too pessimistic, that leaves me with the number two, Arky and Carolina. Does the good Rattler show up or the bad one? Is Arkansas more physical (but mistake prone) than we are? Does Florida get fired up for FSU? All good questions in my estimation.

7. 2oldgator

2oldgator GC Legend

Jul 14, 2021
    Dunnellon fl
    We have a good chance against everyone left on our schedule but, granted if Georgia plays like Georgia: That may take a bit of luck.
    There are absolutely no easy outs left for us on this schedule. We need maximum effort and execution to win against SC.
    I do think by the end of this gauntlet if we are not too beaten up we will be battle tested, albeit worn, and beat an FSU team that is good but has had an easy road compared to ours.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. Mikog8tor

Mikog8tor GC Hall of Fame

Aug 16, 2010
    Thinking about it more I think we have some new players getting confidence and the boys coming together. If we win at usce we can probably gain more confidence and knock off lsu and fsu.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    Six games is enough to judge. We are 4-2 and overachieving. We haven't faced a decent QB yet and we have 6 good ones in a row coming up. The lack of pass rush is exposing the secondary. The lack of turnovers created is telling. We've faced one good running back and he ran over us worse than he did last year in Nashville.

Winning 2 would take a lot of luck.

I'm just looking for improvement in some possible areas. Like penalties, execution, run blocking, tackling, TE play, creating turnovers, effort on the road.

This is a 5 year rebuild. We need elite players and are making progress with that.

10. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    I would be very happy to finish 7 - 5. Very happy, and I think with the incoming class, and a little transfer portal help, UF will continue to close the talent and depth gap going into
    24, obviously with that schedule, it's a necessity
    to develop depth.

I'm totally excited to think about our QB room in 24. Would like the receiver room better if J Smith flipped.

11. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    First off, I am with you 100% re: the coaching carousel. It isn't working. We need to stay the course. There is a saying: "If you do what you have always done, you will get what you have always gotten." I don't care for what we have gotten the last 12 years.

Re: the rest of our schedule. We will beat Arky at home, and I think we have a fifty/fifty shot at the Holes at home. That is a huge rivalry game and the Swamp will be rocking. The Noles are no better than they were last year, and really haven't played anyone. If our o-line and Etienne are healthy, we can win that one.

The three road games? USCe the most likely win, imo, but who knows with this team? I don't see much separation between Mizzou and LSU to be honest, so think either might be winnable. I do think we win at least one of the three, particularly if our team is healthy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. bike1014

bike1014 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2010
    We’ll be an underdog in every one of those games. And heavy dogs in 3 of them.

tough to be optimistic about the outcomes at this point.

3-3 would surprise me more than 1-5

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    I have a Gator friend that married a Tennessee girl and lives just east of Knox and he feels the same way.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    My brother is a gator and lives in Chattanooga. After the game he called me and said..".. that was satisfying, very satisfying...". Ha ha ha.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    How do we not? (rhetorical) We got this. If the Gators show up Saturday and get a win vs. SC, we will be thinking about how to get eight or nine wins, not six or seven. If we lose, folks will be back to questioning the coach and projecting a losing season this year and next.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. GatorKenW

GatorKenW GC Legend

Dec 29, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    if we go 3-3 for the rest of the season, or struggle to go 3-3 then I think we're not seeing any progression during the season. Eventually, they have to start playing better right?

17. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    5-1

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  18. partdopy

partdopy GC Hall of Fame

Feb 1, 2012
    Probably why he disagrees with most people's opinions on the season, since he has no idea what happened during.

19. SmootyGator

SmootyGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 17, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    That is just plain scary... UCF is arguably our 2nd easiest game next year....

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. eightiesgator

eightiesgator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 16, 2017
    And you never know which UCF comes to play from year to year.

• Agree Agree x 2