Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

How Do We Scratch Out 2 Or 3 More Wins This Year?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by The_RH_Factor, Oct 7, 2023.

1. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Records can be deceiving when you watch an entire season. Champs year when some think we had possible title aspirations , I completely disagree with. We pulled three or four of those games out of our ass with great defense and really just playing hard and never giving up. The sec championship was exactly what I expected after watching that team. The ball can bounce a lot of ways during a season. Games like Kentucky , it doesn’t matter which way it bounces. We can’t control how our opponents show up but that will play just as much into the outcomes. If we play our best and don’t shoot ourselves in the foot, 3-3 is good from here on out. It may not be the three wins we thought we would get though. Besides Georgia, all are winnable or losable.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. CadGator

CadGator All American

Nov 17, 2008
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Don't see it happening unfortunately.
    Best chance for the next win is at home against Arkansas.
    FSU looking pretty good and the Gators right now are a sloppy, undisciplined team.
    All the rest of the games are tossups with Georgia being an ugly beatdown.
    Also, can't understand why we can't throw a ball 15 yards down the middle of the field.
    Seems like we run the same pass play all the time. Is it lack of protection?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Tampa, FL
    As things stand, right now, I see 2-4. A lot can change week to week. Very much hope for more, not less, please. That Tennessee win looms large. Could be the difference in not being under 500 at reg seasons end. Plenty of ball still to play. Go Gators!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. airgator96

airgator96 All American

May 16, 2007
    Jacksonville
    I'm pretty sure Mertz is going to be the QB next year again, and that would be a benefit to all involved imo.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  5. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    I believe you are referring to 2012. The Gators didn't make the SECc game that season.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. TJtheGator

TJtheGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    If you look at this year in a bubble and we go 6-6 or even 5-7, you may give your coach some leeway. Even Lumpy was afforded leeway in 2013 when a record 23 players had season-ending injuries.

But if your entire scenario unfolds it means 3 consecutive losing seasons, only one SEC road win in 3 years, and an inability to form a team or offensive identity. It also means a horrendous record against our rivals.

If Napier has a losing season in 2023, he enters 2024 on a very hot seat. Going 5-7/4-8 is the final veredict. At that point no amount of time will show us any different than what he would have accomplished at that point. His record would have been a LOT worse than Zook, Lumpy, and Mullen. I’m leaving McYellowHorseTeeth out of this as he was fired for cause.

Gotta go back to the 50s to find a coach with 3 straight losing seasons.
    Recruiting will stall at that point. Cut ties, pay the buyout, start over.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  7. duggers_dad

duggers_dad GC Hall of Fame

Jan 5, 2022
    I’m still holding at 6-7 and our playing Georgia close for 40 minutes.

8. murphree_hall

murphree_hall VIP Member

Jul 11, 2019
    We will beat either UGA or FSU. Book it.

[​IMG]

• Like x 7
    • Optimistic x 4
    • Funny x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Best Post Ever x 1
  9. manigordo

manigordo GC Hall of Fame

I applaud the optimism in this thread.

• Winner Winner x 2
  10. This Gator team can likely win 2 more games (South Carolina and Arkansas), maybe win a 3rd (Missouri), and optimistically upset LSU for a 4th victory…if key players are healthy. The talent is there but not the depth and chemistry among backups. Kentucky not only bullied the Gators around but also added to the injury list. I would not say that this year’s Gators have more injuries than in years past, but I will say that this team’s chemistry seems to be highly dependent on certain players remaining healthy at the same time.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  11. novagator

novagator Junior

Jun 20, 2014
    Personally I think that he should be gone if we have 2 straight losing seasons but you’re right 3 straight and he will be terminated.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  12. secondguesser

secondguesser Junior

Apr 3, 2007
    We will be lucky to win another game. We absolutely will not beat UGA or FSU. I hope we can somehow squeeze out two more wins to become bowl eligible. I just don’t see it though.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 6
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  13. bullish

bullish GC Hall of Fame

Nov 14, 2010
    At least we are the Champions/conquerors of the State of Tennessee. Tennessee and Vandy went down hard. Since I live in The Nashville area, it makes it sweet!

Last edited: Oct 9, 2023
    • Like Like x 9
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Probably so but it ended bad right? We weren’t that good. That offense was average at best and that’s being generous.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Any time you go 7-1 in conference and end up in the top ten, it's a pretty good season. The offense wasn't great, but they scored some pts against FSU (37), TN (37), KY (38), SC (44). The defense was outstanding 'cept for the Sugarbowl vs. Lville.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Those teams you listed that we scored all those points against sucked. It’s all relative and FSU may have an outstanding record this year but Georgia will still Stump a mud hole in their ass at the end if they can get their.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Ok, you win. Our top ten team that went 7-1 in the SEC and played one of the toughest schedules in the nation (#1 according to this source) wasn't that good. o_O
    #5 Sos here:
    NCAA College Football Strength of Schedule Rankings & Ratings

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Sulla

Sulla VIP Member

Oct 28, 2012
    Oxford, MS
    Arkansas is not good. If it wasn't for some very minor holding calls at key moments that even the announcers didn't get, Ole Miss would have won that by another touchdown or two. Get some pressure on Arky's QB, and he will start throwing picks. I called both of them last night the play before they happened (probably the only time in two years that girlfriend ever thought I was a genius). If we drop that one at home, it's hard to believe it will be for any reason other than playing like crap.

I'd give us a puncher's chance at SCar.

UGA and FSU seem like losses.

I think we'd have a chance with LSU at our place, but not in BR. LSU's defense is a bit sussy, but the Jayden Daniels is having a great year. Unless our defense has the best game of their season, we aren't going to keep up in a shootout. Quinshon Judkins ran for 177 yards on them when they played Ole Miss, so maybe if the defense can play decently and our RBs have career days. But that's a lot of ifs.

And is there any team we love underachieving with more than Mizzou? They're not bad this year, so I'm not real confident about that one.

• Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  19. MaceoP

MaceoP GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    There have been a few true freshmen qb's in the SEC who performed very well. Lagway nay be that kind of talent so i wouldnt write him off yet as a starter next year.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 3
  20. reaves2alvarez

reaves2alvarez Junior

Nov 29, 2016
    Amen. And a winning season whatever it takes. 7-6 including bowl game shows progress.

I think we could win every game we have left except Ga. The problem is we could lose every one. Sheesh!

“Wes Chandler was Percy Harvin before Percy Harvin was born.”

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1