Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

How China's Military Views the United States

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by chemgator, Jun 18, 2020.

1. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    • Like Like x 1
  2. chemgator

chemgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    China takes on the French and the rest of the Europeans:

France to summon Chinese envoy over threats, insults

VIVA LA FRANCE! :)

I thought that maybe China's recent aggressive tone towards the U.S. was an isolated policy towards only the U.S. to cow Biden into submission, but this seems to be an indication that China will be belligerent to anyone and everyone to get what it wants. There is another story that the Philippines is getting tired of having 100 Chinese "militia ships" in its waters and is requesting that China remove them.

It reminds me a little of the attitude of the South before the Civil War. Southerners were told that "Cotton was King", meaning that countries like England and France that bought their cotton would do anything possible to continue receiving that cotton, including breaking a Union blockade of the South and possibly even fighting the Union. The assumption was that the economies of these countries would collapse without a supply of cotton from the world's largest supplier. They severely overestimated their position--cotton did not even rate as "Duke" or "Earl". They went so far as to first withhold cotton to try to get military support, and then burned their own supplies to drive up the price. By the time the blockade was in place, they had lost their opportunity to sell their cotton and exchange it for weapons and ammunition, which they eventually had to buy from France through Mexico.

Lesson: do not bite the hand that feeds you, and do not over-estimate your position.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. AndyGator

AndyGator VIP Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Interesting. Kind of reminded me of Japan's attitude pre-WW II. The Japanese military was convinced that war with America was imminent.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Man, people sure hate it when another country acts exactly like us

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  5. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    It absolutely WAS imminent. (IMO) When Roosevelt initiated the Oil Embargo, and threw support to the English, pretty much sealed the deal. Although the fault of war rested much heavier on the Japanese whom were literally desperate to initiate it.

The avowed militarists (Tojo / many others) were determined on territorial annexation - (CHINA), INDO-CHINA, RUSSIA, Eastern Pacific - You name it.

Japanese were PISSED about the "legal" allotment of ships vis a vie the Washington Naval Conference.

IMO, considering whom was in power WAR was almost inevitable with the Japanese. Remember, the Japanese, much like the Nazi's attributed their culture and intellect to be the highest on earth. An incredibly racist society with visions of grandeur. They were shown............OTHERWISE.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Well yes, they rightly figured two countries with imperial ambitions in the Pacific might come into conflict . The main problem is that the Japanese let the fanatical militarists run the show, and allowed them to set policy by acting without sanction/accountability and letting them intimidate more cautious elements of their leadership, who knew protracted war with the US was unwinnable.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. WC53

WC53 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
    Well thankfully the Chinese and Russians don’t work together.....

8. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    We did play some role with boxing them in on sanctions due to the early expansionism. Of course, you could say that the earlier expansionism caused those issues.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Whew! So glad that's not happening ;>

10. Gatorhead

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Getting back ttt -

Today? Americans, the world even, should be concerned.

I make no claim to be an expert on modern day Chinese's imperial aspirations however I do "read". What I'm getting:

Silk Road Initiative - Many compare it to the "Marshall Plan" - A rather extensive financial and infrastructure program that extends from the Western Chinese boarders throughout Eurasia. Considering the SIZE, RESOURCES and willingness of neighbors to participate this project WILL have ENORMOUS consequences in the region and I suspect by the end of the 21st century could very well propel China as "THE" dominant world superpower.

African Initiative - While Americans are content with destroying any vestige of American Democracy that still promotes enlightened Western Ideals over a few crumbs of greed, (had to get that in, thanks to YOU - GOP) ) the Chinese are doing much the same in Africa as they are in Eurasia.

While these motives have been questioned, the biggest concern is simply that China is GOBBLING UP ARABLE LAND all over the continent. WHY? - FOOD PRODUCTION. Chinese are investing, HEAVILY, in land acquisition. Whatever the "REAL" reason behind the African investments, the Chinese are, IN ADDITION to hoarding land, building roads and pipelines, airports and infrastructure. By any known measure the Chinese are LIGHT YEARS ahead of the USA in terms of dealing with "AFRICA"

OK with that prep done - lets get straight to the thread topic:
    How does the Chinese Military view the U.S.?? ANSWER: As the biggest existential threat in the world to their Culture.

The Chinese CANNOT accomplish the above two initiatives without a powerful military. Fact of life among superpowers today.

Americans should also get their head out of their ass and quaint themselves with the long and troubled history between Western Imperialism and China.
    The uneducated will only consider 20th century China in an evaluation:
    Mao, commie, yellow, dog eaters, dogs, uncivilized, over-populated and on and on and on like our Xenophobic Culture has FALSELY promoted.

The honest among you will admit that stereo typing "Chinese" has long been an active ingredient on any thoughts related to this culture. The inherent racism toward the Chinese are.......endless. As chattel labor they built the Western Railroads and in fact much of the infrastructure of California and the West Coast.

The numerous incursions by Western and yes AMERICAN military forces IN CHINA have proved, well, disastrous. (As usual the ENGLISH were "first" at the Imperialism Feast) .

While American / Chinese relations were friendly at a time during WW2 (For expediencies sake) that little bit of good will was quickly and forever forgotten with the ascension of Mao and the Chinese Communist party.

Recall that we, Americans, seem to think we know whats better for the Chinese than the Chinese themselves. (Very Republican don't you think?).

TODAY any dealings with China must be viewed under these FACTS:

The USA and Partners supported the re-location of Sun Yet Sin to Formosa and the continuation of a "Pro" Western Gov't. essentially "taking" Formosa under military threat. I suppose one may argue endlessly that this was a good thing - IF YOUR AMERICAN.

The South China Sea - LOOK AT THE DAMN MAP!
    Is not the Gulf of Mexico. The arrogance of American Administrations.
    Yet we were willing to go to war over some missiles in CUBA were we not?

CHINA AIN'T GOING AWAY.

This is an incredibly OLD Culture that has been shit on badly by Western Imperialists for centuries. It's laughable that Americans don't seem to know this but blindingly follow American jingoism and propaganda.

Maybe for some on this board dying in a nuclear exchange may be "proper" foreign policy but frankly I don't want to die over the South China Sea.

11. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Good stuff. No way I can respond to all of it in one text message.

Certainly Western history factors in current Chinese conduct in a lot in ways we don't appreciate. And there are elements of Chinese culture that long predate the ascendancy of the West that factor in. They are not the only people who seek to recapture past glory. Hafez al-Assad used to show everyone a map for when the caliphate was dominant. OBL would refer to the tragedy of al Andalus. Our last President prevailed on a claim to bring back past dominance, albeit far more recent and not really lost.

I do think that we overly Sinocize certain so-called devious traits, when the CCP is largely acting as one would expect of an ascendant power, rather than having any special level of expansionism. You can't unnaturally restrain power by telling a growing power that it must accept a historical role that arose during a weaker time. See Lebanese Civil War and the Shiites or even the rise of Germany after the Franco-Prussian War. You can't contain a people forever just by telling them it's their natural place.

That said, I still believe in inherent Western values, even if our last leader didn't. And so do China's neighbors. They don't necessarily agree with all we do but they would much rather have a dominant US in the Pacific basin than a dominant China. Let's not forget the fact that both Taiwan and Hong Kong are ethnically Chinese, although Hong Kong may not be predominately Han, and they don't want to adopt China's political system or submit themselves to China's political hegemony either.

It's complex, to be sure

Last edited: Mar 23, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  12. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    It's a little different. The South was providing products for other countries, and assumed that this gave them all kinds of leverage over the behaviors of those countries. Japan just wanted to take the rest of Asia's resources and control the region. They weren't providing anything of value to anyone else. They assumed that knocking out the U.S. military would be a simple matter (which the Confederates also thought about the Union), and were wrong about that (as were the Confederates). The Japanese believed they were entitled to become colonial overlords to Asian countries long after the age of seizing countries and bending them to your will had passed them by. England still held many colonial possessions, but no one was in the habit of taking large, populated countries as colonial possessions once global travel and trade began to be the norm. England had to give up most of its colonies after WWII, in part because it couldn't protect them during the war, and was weakened enough by the war that it could not afford to maintain enough of a presence in the larger colonies (India, Malaysia, Singapore) to maintain control of them.

13. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Which they say they learn from us, and that appears to be correct. Everything I’ve always understood is that they believe they had to win the war in a year or they could not, due to oil shortages. The army navy rivalry was an immense limitation

14. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Not Strictly related but probably not worthy of its own thread. North Korea fired off some test cruise missiles this weekend. Jeffrey Lewis has been predicting this

15. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    There are a couple of big differences between the Marshall Plan and the Silk Road Initiative. One is that the cost for the Marshall Plan was primarily on the backs of Americans, which was unusual for the winner of a war. China is investing some of their own money on the Silk Road itself, but I think some of the associated projects are being done at the expense of the host countries through loans from China. The other difference is that the U.S. was investing in a group of countries (Europe) with a history of education, wealth, modernization, technological innovation, and success. European countries had already partially converted to democracies. It was relatively easy to turn European countries into productive trading partners within a couple decades. China is investing in countries with some potential, but little recent history of any of those things. It could take centuries for these countries to become successful trading partners with China. It is a much higher risk endeavor that may not pay off in the end. China could go bankrupt before these investments pay off.

I would compare the Silk Road Initiative to Bill Clinton's attempt with NAFTA to make Mexico into a trading partner with a middle-class economy. NAFTA was a complete failure in most respects. Mexico had a few areas that benefited from the jobs the U.S. sent there, but is still a corrupt country plagued by violence and drug lords and is not a first world economy by any definition. It is VERY HARD to rebuild another country in your own image (see, Iraq). China may have bitten off more than they can chew with this one.

The French did not want to die over the Germans occupying the Sudetenland; hence, the Phony War. Had they committed to real military action and coordinated successfully with the British and Dutch, there is every indication that Hitler would have been defeated easily (or forced to give up imperial ambitions at the very least). Did not wanting to die over the German occupation of the Sudetenland save the French from dying as the German tanks rolled through the Maginot Line and into Paris?

There are at least two sides to every story. And sometimes, punching an opponent in the mouth at the right time IS the right thing to do. Do you really think that if we give China the South China Sea, that they'll be satisfied with that, and never make another claim on any territory on land or at sea again? You are very gullible if you believe that. At some point, if they are not discouraged somewhere along the way, they will want control over the entire Pacific Ocean. Are you willing to give them that? Where do you draw the line? (I don't think that military action is called for at the moment, because we have not exhausted all options on economic sanctions. But we should ratchet up the pressure on China, certainly.)

16. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007

17. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    BTW, the Germans did not roll through the Maginot Line, much else to disagree with there in terms of historicity, and it’s far from clear we could prevail in a localized South China Sea conflict. A lot of Red Teams have prevailed in simulations. A2/AD and all that

18. Gatorhead

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Hi Chem, great stuff and informative.

You bring up some interesting points.
    First example - same could be said for Hitlers reoccupation of the Rhineland which occurred several years earlier (1936 as I recall). French, per Versailles Treaty had every right to throw Germany back out.

But I digress, the real point is US / CHINA engagement in the S China Sea.
    Your post has a clear (to me) jingoistic view of the situation - and I do not disagree that sometimes you have to kick a bully in the ass to get his attention.

But the fact of the matter is the US is neither a predominantly ASIAN Country nor is the majority of our territorial area in that part of the World.

Military engagement is far more complex (and dangerous) now than in the 1930's, especially considering explosive yields and methods of delivery.

One can only hope that diplomacy and the better angels of our nature prevail.

The alternative is just scary to think about. But when it comes down to it, (My Choice), I prefer to have my blood shed over a more serious threat to our domestic security.

My best friends dad was killed in combat in 1967 in Vietnam.
    I am deeply connected to that abomination of American Militarism. I repeat again, I have no interest in myself, my sons or my fellow citizens dying over
    shitty little barrier reefs in the S China Sea or Taiwan for that matter.

Just my opinion

19. Gatorhead

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia

General Manstein developed the famous "Sickle Cut" that was used to such astounding effect. Helped he had Guedarian and Rommel on his team too.

While simplistic in idea: Massed Panzer / armor attack it was stunningly revolutionary at the time. Combined with the Luftwaffe and the awesome stuka and BF 109 it was a tough package to handle.

Regarding topic - War will be disastrous with the Chinese. See "Chesty Puller / Chosin Reservoir".

20. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Frozen Chosin. Hell