Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

How China's Military Views the United States

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by chemgator, Jun 18, 2020.

1. dingyibvs

dingyibvs Premium Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Heh, so in an effort to paint me in a certain light, you inadvertently revealed your biggest flaw which I've pointed out numerous times before, which is that you see only what you want to see. I specifically prefaced my praise of the Pentagon with "even if you ignore their threat level assessment, which people often argue over- or underestimate the Chinese military to serve some sort of agenda...". Yet, in your rush to confirm your biases against me, that was completely ignored as you prattle on about how I'm not taking into account that the Pentagon may be overestimating China or Russia to serve some sort of agenda.

You accuse me of appealing to authority, when you merely appeal to your own predetermined biases. Take the China economy comments for example. I did not say it was doing "great", merely that it's "resilient", and I did not cite Goldman Sachs, I cited a consensus estimate of which Goldman Sachs is but one part of it. But you had your biases already, which is that China's economy is in the gutters, and that I disagree with you because I only trust assessments from the biggest corporations/organizations.

Goldman itself had estimated 6% actually, which they recently pared back to 5.4% based on the latest data. You see, that's what real analysts do, they adjust their views based on data. Goldman raised their estimates based on above expectations Q1 data, and then dropped them based on below expectations Q2 data. Your assessment will always remain the same, because the only data you'll believe is the one that confirms your biases.

2. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    We see... we know... you and the news are .... slow.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. duggers_dad

duggers_dad GC Hall of Fame

Jan 5, 2022
    Shanghai is just brilliant …

upload_2023-7-5_14-42-46.jpeg

4. chemgator

chemgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Not brilliant enough (unless you are a superficial person). The lights are always the last things to go out. That's why people say, "turn out the lights when you leave". Affording to keep a few fancy light bulbs lit, and keeping that last 20% of their 18-24 year-old workforce employed are two different things. But it does make sense that a gullible person would be attracted to making a positive conclusion about a country's economy from looking at a pretty picture of a city with the lights on.

Here's a picture for you. The latest craze in China is for college graduates to act like a zombie or a dead person for their graduation picture, because they can't find a job anywhere. Many are angry that they spent so much time getting a degree, apparently for nothing. The only jobs available are on the farms, and they don't require a college degree. Pictures like this are humiliating for the Communist Party in China, and that's why the students always hide their faces, because the punishment would be severe.

Consider yourself educated on the subject.

Why Chinese students are taking graduation photos looking 'more dead than alive' | CNN

[​IMG]

5. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    China has a new diplomatic program to deal with the U.S. that they borrowed from Russia--it's called hostage diplomacy. They have as many as 200 Americans that they've taken hostage under vague accusations of espionage. They really don't seem to be able to handle losing in their economic battles. This is in addition to their unwillingness to play by the rules in economic competition. Apparently, the rest of the world has to let China win in all competitions for them to not take hostages.

China is taking US citizens hostage

• Informative Informative x 3
  6. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    no way in hell would I travel to China ( or Russia) in these times.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Barbie banned in Vietnam over map with 9 Dash line.

Good basic explainer about attempted Chinese hegemony over the South China Sea. Nothing not already known to those on this thread but maybe this will be a source of understanding for the more disengaged public that read due to link over this Summer’s biggest cultural event

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...um=email&utm_source=newsletter&wpisrc=nl_most

8. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    China's top diplomat puts his foot in his mouth again and tells South Korea and Japan that they will never be Westerners, so they might as well join with China. And by join, he means be subservient to China. What an idiot.

China rejects criticism after top diplomat tells Japan, S. Korea they will 'never be Westerners'

The diplomat's quote:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    • Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  10. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Wow. I think I have not fully processed the full scope of Chinese economic problems. This is eye opening

11. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    China just announced that they expect the unemployment numbers to go UP. It is very rare that the Chinese gov't posts bad news of any type. This kind of bad news is really bad news for China's economy.

China Warns Youth Unemployment to Worsen After Hitting Record

It's certainly a cold slap in the face for Hillary Clinton / democrat ideas from a decade ago that everyone should get a college education, regardless of cost, as the consequences or more education can only be positive. College graduates typically do not want to work trade jobs or menial jobs, and would often rather be unemployed than do so.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    I know it is hard for you to admit this, but in this case, you were wrong and I was right. I have probably been to China more than you have, and have a better understanding of how things work over there. I'm certainly no expert on China, but I know enough to be able to read the tea leaves and understand how the gov't there communicates things.

13. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    AP poll: only 30% of Americans say economy I’d “good.” Seems to imply that the majority of Americans believe the economy’s in the gutter.

14. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I'm not sure why the slap at Hillary, which does not seem to logically follow, but the news about the Chinese economy is still hard to process, at least for me.

15. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    China convinced its citizens that the only way to success was to get a college education, and of course, the government pays for everything there, so it is free once you get in. Hillary believed the same thing. I suspect Biden does also, but is approaching the cost issue by "forgiving" loans after the fact. I don't think that higher education is right for everyone. A certain percentage are too immature for college and will party their way through. Some just don't have the brainpower to keep up. Others are better with their hands and could make good money in a trade (plumber, carpenter, electrician, etc.) and eventually own their own business. Sending everyone to college causes a problem when there are not enough jobs requiring a college education for the graduates, and the graduates are unwilling (or unable to afford) to take a job that does not require a college education. It is also very expensive. The more money that government pours into college education, the more education costs. Administrators make more than ten times what they made thirty years ago. Dormitories are more luxurious than ever before. Neither of those facts improves education (or value of the education).

16. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I certainly agree with the generalized proposition that college is not for everyone, and that subsidizing college education has tended to make it more expensive. Although that's not the only variable at work.

That's an interesting issue. And there's another thread for debating the morality and logic of debt forgiveness. A lot of different issues there which I don't think are analogous to China's situation. A lot of the greatest abuses here is in so-called trade colleges that don't provide meaningful training. 44's administration tried to reform that abuse, much of which was subsequently reversed.

But all of this seems way out of scope for a China thread. I really appreciate your insights on China, but I think this is a bit of a stretch from that subject

17. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    Fact-checked true ?

upload_2023-7-18_12-36-3.jpeg

18. GatorFanCF

GatorFanCF Premium Member

Apr 14, 2007
  19. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022