Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

How can a player find time to study and carry 9 hrs

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by UF67ee, Mar 19, 2023.

1. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Circuits, thermo and dynamics playing ball would be killer.
    As a former UF engineering prof I would say that taking calc, physics and chemistry at a community college would be far better than taking them at UF.

Especially Santa Fe or Miami-Dade.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. ozgatorfan

ozgatorfan Senior

Apr 12, 2007
    I would tell my kids to do enough in the classroom to keep eligible. Enjoy the game to the max. Can always go back to school if the sports thing doesn’t work out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I played pick up basketball with Clifford Lett after he had his cup of coffee in the NBA and returned for his degree. Might have been a couple of other guys as well but Clifford stood out in my mind. I was playing an intramural game and hit a three and Clifford yelled out from the next court "Go Gators". A really underrated Gator.

Didn't Emmitt Smith eventually complete his degree because he promised his mother that he would do it? Lord knows he didn't need to do so for the money.

4. Agator88

Agator88 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 7, 2014
    When I played you had to pass 12 hours, so I took 15 just in case my first two semesters.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Way back in the day (Charlie Pell era) there was a three hour course called "Adjusting to University Life" that could be taken multiple times. The prereq was being a varsity athlete. We got hammered for this but I bet it would fly at UNC.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. BA69MA72

BA69MA72 GC Legend

Apr 8, 2007
    To get back closer to the original question— UAA has a large and active academic advising operation that works closely with the Academic Advisors in the undergraduate Colleges. No student at UF, especially athletes, has any right to claim lack of, or poor, advising as a cause of unsuccessful academic performance

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I know that a lot of Gator alumni are totally pissed off that their kids with decent HS credentials and probably better than they had are turned down at UF. The problem is that we are not in Ivy League school with legacies.

UF was tasked with becoming a Top 5 public university by the people you elected. Those of us on the faculty did our job. You should blame the people you elected.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    My son got in and graduated with 2 degrees like his old man, so I'm good. :cool:

• Like Like x 2
  9. notexgator

notexgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I played when we had 30 games in the fall also. I took 12 hrs and made up my hours during the summer. I graduated in Aug only 1 quarter late with a BBA in Economics. It is hard but not that tough. The business world I am in is a whole lot tougher. With mandatory study hall and good guidance it can be done and set you up with great future habits.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. grizgator

grizgator VIP Member

Apr 10, 2007
    NCAA rules require full-time enrollment. For an undergraduate student, that typically mans 12 credits. Graduate students are different. Taking 12 credits will not lead to graduation in 4 years unless one takes summer school or comes into college with credits from AP, IB, dual enrollment, etc. Taking 12-15 credits is very doable for an athlete. Some classes can be taken on-line, which means the S-A can be in class while on the road. Division I schools have tutors, study hall, dedicated academic advisers. All of that said, there are some majors that are not conducive to student-athletes because of the time demands. Sometimes you have to make a choice. As an FYI, in addition to full-time enrollment, an S-A must meet percentage of degree requirements (which are not that stiff), GPA requirements (again, not very stiff), and pass 6 credits per semester (9 credits in the fall semester for football).

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. BA69MA72

BA69MA72 GC Legend

Apr 8, 2007
    The full time requirement is 30 a year, not a per semester requirement. That’s why UAA transfers money to UF-to be sure there are enough summer courses.
    For those of a certain age, 30 credits a year was required to maintain a student draft deferment

12. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Back when I was the graduate coordinator in an engineering department at UF I had to review all the grad applicants. A few of them were varsity athletes at schools in major conferences. I knew what kind of time commitment that was so I took that into account when looking at GPAs. I also looked at what courses they took in season and if it was a hard one and they did well it was a bonus.

13. buffy2222

buffy2222 Junior

Jul 9, 2022
    It is a joke. Experience is the only way.