Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

How are the Gators doing on portal acquisitions?

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by gatormagic, Dec 28, 2023.

1. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    They are but Collins and Searcy will have to get serious time. Their ceilings are both extremely high and they look our best chance to put up some sack numbers. If you don’t see them get significant time could be looking at transfer. Love Sapp and agree w you on leadership. I see him as a leader and solid defender that can set the edge. I don’t see him as a big sack guy.

Boone, I think is capable or could possibly put up some sack numbers. Each End should be a threat to rush the passer. Payton and Verse are good examples. We finally have that now when you talk about Collins, Searcy, and Boone. in the past we have unfortunately seen some underclass guys not get the time they need due to upperclassman playing more. I will say Billy has been a little bit better about that but again for us to get where we need to go on defense next year Collins and Searcy Will have to be a big part. They both need 25-30 snaps a game. They are that good.

• Like Like x 1
  2. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I guess the word "situationally" eluded you...but FYI the plan was to use Sapp in that role until Boone went down and changed the dynamic

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    I didn't think Carter was terribly effective inside either, but he was when he was at DE.

4. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I thought he was very good in that role....disruptive in the middle and also kept QB in pocket. It's not a role where you put up a lot of stats, but still important. Bear in mind the job he did freed up other guys as well

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    I think its more important to collapse the pocket while the DE's can pinch it at the same time. I didn't think Carter was particularly effective at that role. The last guy that I thought was truly fantastic at it was Jon Bullard.

6. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  7. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    Caleb Brantley and Taven Bryan

• Winner Winner x 1