Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

How America’s Obsession with DEI Is Sabotaging Our Medical Schools

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by studegator, May 3, 2023.

1. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    That’s different!

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  2. Orange_and_Bluke

Orange_and_Bluke Premium Member

Dec 16, 2015
    Huh. I recall Mr Carson telling his story before where he was raised in a ghetto like neighborhood. He also apparently stabbed another kid when he was a youngster.
    I don’t think his mother was very educated if at all. She could not read. It’s quite a story.

Last edited: May 4, 2023
  3. Orange_and_Bluke

Dec 16, 2015
    I’m cooling on Ron.

4. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Charlie Crist is polling well.

• Funny Funny x 4
  5. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    I want the doctor who will deliver the best outcome for me. Despite your attempt to frame that question as having a clear answer, it doesn't. You make the assumption that only one of the two people you're referencing can be smart and can have worked hard. That betrays your own ignorance and biases.

The passive voice is notable in this sentence. Who is doing the judging? People like yourself? I have a really easy solution. Stop assuming people are undeserving of their achievements because of their race or ethnicity. Boom, problem solved!

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  6. G8tas

G8tas GC Hall of Fame

Sep 22, 2008
    No one is acting like that except for the Reich Wingers. Diversity initiatives in Florida were created by and funded GOP governors including Desantis appointees. Now all of a sudden it's the boogeyman because Desantis decided he wanted to run for POTUS when just 2 years ago they were all for it

While acknowledging federal and state law, executive orders, and administrative guidance, the Board of Governors is making a clear and steadfast commitment to prioritize and support diversity, racial and gender equity, and inclusion in the State University System and to hold each university accountable for policies, programs, and actions that will codify and operationalize the System’s commitment

https://www.flbog.edu/wp-content/uploads/DEI-Workgroup_MEMO_Final.pdf

*edit* I'm sure Chris Rufo also had something to do with it

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Orange_and_Bluke

Dec 16, 2015
    It’s an obvious and virtuous thing to say. It’s basic PR. But libbies take things to extremes and make it all weird.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  8. latergator83

latergator83 Freshman

May 4, 2023
    I have no clue why you keep framing this as black vs white. Here are the demographics at Johns-Hopkins:
    https://admissionsight.com/johns-hopkins-ethnicbreakdown/#:~:text=In%20terms%20of%20ethnic%20diversity,by%20international%20students%20(20.7%25).

Whites are only 39% of students. And Johns-Hopkins uses affirmative action, or else it would be more like 1% Black rather than 4.9% Under the scenario you mentioned the Black student would be admitted over the White student every time. Now affirmative action isn't enough and the MCAT needs to be dropped entirely.

And it's not only a tiny percentage difference as you are suggesting. The White and Asian students are demonstrably better qualified than the Black students and this is without dropping the MCAT.

Medical School Acceptance Rates by Race (2023): Does Ethnicity Play a Role? — Shemmassian Academic Consulting

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    My system? How are things different now than they were from when you entered school? Other than being way more expensive now, probably not very different I suspect, despite your whining. This country isnt overflowing with doctors, because doctors want it that way, so they can live in waterfront homes and send their kids to private school and cultivate their reactionary politics. That isnt my system, its yours.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  10. Trickster

Trickster VIP Member

Sep 20, 2014
    He's really taken grievance politics to an extreme.

11. Orange_and_Bluke

Dec 16, 2015
    Some of it is reactionary to the left.
    I get it, but I’d rather see a Mitt Romney type a guy.
    And I still like Nikki.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Trickster

Trickster VIP Member

Sep 20, 2014
    The Wikipedia entry suggested differently I thought. In any event, hard work should always be admired and rewarded. I just think blacks need a boost. We owe it to them IMHO. Imagine if you were born a poor black. Even with intelligence and a strong work ethic, you start behind.

13. Trickster

Trickster VIP Member

Sep 20, 2014
    I like Romney, too! I wish he'd run.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Orange_and_Bluke

Dec 16, 2015
    I agree. It starts at home. We must encourage all families to choose a partner wisely(marriage) and stay together, and promote education.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. latergator83

latergator83 Freshman

May 4, 2023
    They are getting a significant "boost" under the current acceptance policy. I don't think they need more of a boost in such a crucial profession.

• Like Like x 1
  16. duggers_dad

duggers_dad GC Hall of Fame

Jan 5, 2022
    Why not give the Spirit World Otherkins a shot ?

They could hardly do worse.

17. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    same question applies. Maybe it is Asians who are disproportionately getting in due to higher academic performance and testing. Does that mean those high testing Asians are better doctors? I don’t know the answer to that either way.

18. Trickster

Trickster VIP Member

Sep 20, 2014
    I didn't say they needed more of a boost. I was merely responding to those who seem to begrudge any boost. The vast majority of doctors are (a) not surgeons and (b) are merely triage these days. Moreover, I have many doctor friends, and to a man they say personality is almost as important as smarts.

19. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    This is apples and oranges but I got my MBA at a *highly rated* program, and it was academically not has hard as my UF undergrad accounting courses. The subject matter may be difficult but the classes were usually curved such that almost everybody passed with an acceptable grade.

I would suspect an MD program would be more rigorous but I don’t know. I have a relative who works with med school students and their performance does have a heavy bearing on their choice of specialties.

• Like Like x 1
  20. latergator83

latergator83 Freshman

May 4, 2023
    I think the question, ultimately, is how important is IQ to performing certain jobs like Doctor. I don't know the answer to this
    and it's extremely hard to quantify. I do find it weasely that this was the accepted standard until DEI became the issue.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1