Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Here’s What I Would Do If I Were Stricklin

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by The_RH_Factor, Sep 24, 2024.

1. workemsillyg8rs

workemsillyg8rs All American

Sep 14, 2024
    I will take Bourbon over Scotch Stricklin! :D

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. gators1994

gators1994 Junior

Sep 10, 2024
    If we finish with 5 straight losses again or a 3rd consecutive losing season that will never happen.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. The_RH_Factor

The_RH_Factor GC Hall of Fame

Aug 11, 2010

4. The_RH_Factor

The_RH_Factor GC Hall of Fame

Aug 11, 2010
    Stricklin is probably talking to Jimmy Sexton to see which of his coaches might be interested in Florida.

I’d like us to hire a young coach who isn’t going to cost us $12 million a year and have a $100 million buyout.

We might want to stick with Napier another year because of all the costs.

Napier might be telling Stricklin “If I go, so does DJ, our recruiting class, and half of our current team.”

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    One that would jump at the chance to be the AD at one of the best athletics departments in the country and is confident in being able to do the job no matter who his/her boss is. IOW, one that we should want to be here.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  6. workemsillyg8rs

Sep 14, 2024
    An
    Who is going to search for this amazing, successful AD that is just dying to come here? I’ll wait.

7. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Why not? Didn't he make the same ultimatum to Mullen to can both Hevesy and Grantham?

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    Its not difficult. Put an ad on Indeed and they would be lined up around the block.

• Funny Funny x 3
  9. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Maybe he did. Are we certain about it? At any rate, it's why I mentioned the exception. An AD making ultimatums about asst coaches, though, should be the exception and not the norm. What coach wants to work under those circumstances?

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Either the coach knows to make the decisions or not. If you have an A.D. making those types of decisions, you don’t have the right coach.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. gatorlips

gatorlips Freshman

Feb 7, 2021
    The AD at FLA does not hire or fire head coaches. It's done by commitee as are all expenditures over a certain amount. He's a manager. An employee. Not the King or CEO. A lot of very powerfull people have a say so in the hiring process. Also, could their be a worse time to fire and hire a coach. A huge buyout and hiring expence for a game with no rules? Do the big dog FLA alum want to support a pay for play system. Can they compete if they want to? Take whatever potion of that coaching change money that can be diverted to NIL use it there,wait for the NCAA situation to stabilize and avoid the huge buyout. A new coach is not going to make a difference wih the current NIL situation.

12. G8R92

G8R92 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 5, 2010
    I don't think Napier has a big enough vacation home for that many people because that's where he'll be next year.

13. MarineG8R

MarineG8R GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2014
    I get what you are saying, it’s a bit of a double edged sword. Damned if you do, damned if you don’t.

Why waste money on NIL for a coach that can’t develop or coach his way out of a paper bag? Recruits aren’t going to want to come.

I think this going to come down to who the powers that be can get to come.

14. gatorlips

gatorlips Freshman

Feb 7, 2021
    I'm saying that coaching is not as important as nil. The coach won't matter unless your program is willing to outbid Texas-Oklahoma oil monery ect. There's and old saying and it's a fact. It's the Jimmy's and Joes not the X's and O's. Their's no new off or def out that going to beat 5 stars with 3's. Recruiting no longer matters it's all about the money. Even the beer baron rerobates that started the nfl knew that unrestricted pay for play did not work. A new coach will not solve FLA's problem until the NIL situation is resolved

15. SewaneeGator

SewaneeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I mentioned this a couple of weeks ago, but in my industry, interims often make the difficult or unpopular decisions on purpose in order to give the next person the best chance for a smooth start and long term success. The limited time nature of the interim specifically allows them to "till the field" for their successor without the personal fallout that an extended or open ended tenure might have them thinking twice about dealing with the blowback.

16. SewaneeGator

Apr 8, 2007
    The UAA has a board of directors. The current AD is the ex officio chair. But there are certainly people, including and excluding the interim UF president, with authority and responsibility.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  17. workemsillyg8rs

Sep 14, 2024
    The AD is usually responsible for the coaching search right? I assume that the AD know’s the proper channels to go through to contact coaches off the record. That is part of the AD’s job. So you are saying that a board of directors and an interim Pres is going to do that? That they are going to evaluate and reach out to coaching talent? God help us if that is the case. These board members I am sure are qualified to vet and hire a coach with a 10 figure buyout. :rolleyes:

18. MarineG8R

MarineG8R GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2014
    The info out there is kinda mixed on if UF has an NIL problem. Maybe a conservative implementation? But I look it as people right now aren’t going to open up their wallet for this current regime and many may stop all together. So are we supposed to set ourselves back even further by keeping this guy in charge.

A new regime “MIGHT” change the outlook.

It’s kind of chicken or egg.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. SewaneeGator

Apr 8, 2007
    The question I was responding to wasn't about hiring a football coach. You asked who would search for a new AD, implying the interim UF president situation was the issue precluding that. There is a UAA board that is capable of contacting, interviewing, and hiring a new AD. It's certainly possible they wouldn't be used in this manner during our current interim situation, but they could be. They were a part of contacting, interviewing, and hiring Stricklin.

20. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 23, 2014
    A new president doesn’t come for at least another year. Then I assume he needs a year to fire SS - unless you have a theory that he fires him on day one, which is absurd. So you are looking at 2 more years to have “the process work.” To borrow from Einstein, insanity would be repeating the last three years for another two years and expecting a different result.

Yes, SS is not the optimal decision maker (and he should already be fired imho) but Napier is SO incredibly bad that I’d rather take a chance on a new coach than watch him flail for 2 years after which an unknown president can pick an unknown athletic director to hire an unknown coach.