Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Here’s how to fix Florida’s shortage of physics teachers

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by philnotfil, Apr 24, 2023.

1. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Physics teachers are just about bullet proof in Florida, no principal is going to let their Physics teacher go unless they absolutely have to. The mindblowing stat was that in 19-20, only 20 undergraduate education students graduated in the entire state ready to teach Chemistry or Physics, with most of those being Chemistry.

Here’s how to fix Florida’s shortage of physics teachers | Column

Since 2014-15, the physics enrollment in Florida’s public high schools has declined by 20%. Students in Florida take high school physics at a rate that is only about half the national rate.

Why does that matter? Students who choose college majors in STEM and health fields are often required to take physics in college. That includes students majoring in engineering, the physical sciences and computer science. Students who want to attend medical school must take physics as undergraduates as well. Even future architects must take physics in college.

And if a student who chooses a major in a science, engineering or health field shows up in a college physics classroom like mine (I am a physics professor at Florida State University who teaches these classes) without having taken physics in high school, she or he is significantly less likely to succeed than a student who has taken a high school class. Research done across the nation over 20 years has reinforced this conclusion repeatedly.

• Informative Informative x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  2. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    But what about Hillsdale physics? Is quantum randomness incompatible with these”truths”?

• Funny Funny x 6
  3. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Sorry, physics is too woke. You are no longer allowed to teach it in Florida.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  4. G8tas

G8tas GC Hall of Fame

Sep 22, 2008
    Physics is too woke and theoretical. Kids are probably afraid to take it

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. ursidman

ursidman VIP Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC
    I very much enjoyed my HS and college physics. In college as a biology major where I learned broad concepts that each seemed full of exceptions, it was a relief to learn that M x A = F. ALWAYS.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled

Jan 5, 2010
    Maine
    Until it meets UF x D

Ahh, who am I kidding

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    Like the outside the box thinking. Hate the online for a class like Physics. Online has a place. But imo it is not a way to build the necessary foundation for this subject. We need more kids to make the decision to take a Physics 2 in high school like I and a very small number of students did our senior year (or even just take Physics 1 which apparently is not available at many schools?).

With that said. I agree with the Professor that online and introducing the subject is better than a student showing up in a college Physics classroom having never seen the subject.

I like the idea if it is built as a bridge so a foundation can be laid to make sure all schools are able and capable of offering Physics in the classroom.

8. jjgator55

jjgator55 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I loved physics, but then again I always thought math was easy. I think the key is having good teachers that knew what they were doing, but…..Florida.
    [​IMG]

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    LOL!

DeSantis is spending on STEM and you know it. But your hatred is palpable.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. jjgator55

jjgator55 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    So what does that have to do with finding physics teachers? Yes a degree in physics alone doesn’t offer much in the area of employment, but you can’t get a degree in engineering without taking physics. DeSantis is dumping money down a black hole if he thinks STEM will work without qualified teachers.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Probably off topic and no offense to physics enthusiasts everywhere, but ......easily the worst course I took in HS, learned nothing.

Hated the course and the smug teacher and checked out. Didn't need the course to graduate anyway. Still recall my quarterly grades, B,C,D,F. :eek: Only quarterly D and F I ever received. Teacher thought he had me, but I memorized a few formulas and got a B on the final exam and he had to give me a C for the year. :p

Conversely the best teacher I had in HS was a gay algebra 2/Trig guy with OCD tendencies. He made sure the outside windows and the desks were lined up perfectly every day. Learned a lot. :)

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    You are so biased and tunnel visioned lol.

STEM is physics. It is math. It is chemistry. It is science.

But you keep hating lol!

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    Fair experience.

I had the opposite. Loved Physics 1 and Physics 2. Though Physics 2 teacher was not the best.

Best teacher was Calc…

14. BossaGator

BossaGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Arlington, VA
    One of my favorite HS classes was AP physics. We had a brand new teacher - Harvard undergrad, Cornell PhD, designed many aspects of the early CAT scan technology. Also an internationally rated chess player. He was an inspiration and the class was fun as well as fascinating

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Had calc at UF with a guy no one could understand but at least he graded on a curve. Recall getting 50+ on the final and that was an A. :)

• Like Like x 2
  16. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    That was Calc 2 for me at UF. I really don’t know happened in that class as it felt like every test was a 50. But I got an A. Physics 1 was that way as well at UF. :)

• Like Like x 1
  17. enviroGator

enviroGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    That was what attracted me to math as well.

Advanced math and physics were just puzzles to be solved. Almost fun when you have the knack.

Unlike English and grammar where every rule has dozens of exceptions. Words have multiple meanings and or spellings. Ugh!

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. g8trjax

g8trjax GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2007
    There's a forum dedicated to something to the effect of whatever you do, don't take physics 2 at UF...pretty funny read.

• Like Like x 1
  19. enviroGator

Apr 12, 2007
    Like any area of study, you get out of it what you put into it. And the teacher makes a huge difference. My high school chemistry teacher was the worst and it really hurt me at UF.

Sounds like if you had tried you could have gotten decent grades.

• Like Like x 1
  20. enviroGator

Apr 12, 2007
    My calc teacher was blind... and it took me 2 weeks to realize it. I thought he was mean because he looked like he was scowling all the time.

But he was amazing and a great teacher. He would write on the board just like anyone else but once in a while he would miss the cross on his x. He also memorized all the problems in the books so when ever anyone would ask for help with a problem you could see him "finding" it in his mind, and then he would write it on the board and start solving it.

• Like Like x 1