Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Helene headed to Florida's Gulf Coast

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by rivergator, Sep 23, 2024.

1. gatormonk

gatormonk GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

NSFW

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  2. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Car industry faces choke point as US hurricane shuts down critical microchip mine (msn.com)

Global supplies of microchips that feature in cars and smartphones have been threatened after the US hurricane Helene forced the closure of a mine that is critical to production.

Flooding and power outages caused by the hurricane have shut down mining and processing operations at Spruce Pine, a quartz facility in a remote area of North Carolina.

The site, which is secretive and closely guarded, produces the vast majority of the quartz sand used to manufacture high-purity polysilicon crystals. The crystals are used to make modern semiconductors and solar panels, making it a singular choke point for supplies of the critical components.
    Sibelco, the mining company that owns most of the operations at Spruce Pine, said it had “temporarily halted” operations. However, it is possible that recovering from the weather event could take months, potentially disrupting supplies of silicon and leading to a new microchip supply crunch.

3. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    WOW!
    That's embarrassing.

When disasters like this happen, it should automatically be all hands on deck.

Also all non essential foreign aid should be redirected to finance these efforts and the rebuild.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2024 at 4:48 PM
  4. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Story to go with X - Get It Done Now Biden/Harris:

People are Dying in Hurricane Helene's Aftermath While Government Helicopters Remain Grounded (townhall.com)

As time marches on, the aftermath of Hurricane Helene and catastrophic damage is becoming increasingly clear. Stranded Americans still are not getting the help they need and the situation is dire.

According to Republican Congressman Michael Walz, a number of military helicopters that could be used to rescue people, in places where road access in the mountains of North Carolina has been cut off, have not been deployed by the Biden administration.

Hundreds of people are still missing while cell service and clean drinking water are still unavailable in a number of areas.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
    • Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  5. ursidman

ursidman VIP Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC
    Yep. There is a lot of suffering and a lot of people feeling like their government has abandoned them. There is a growing anger (fair or not) that the Feds are not doing enough (anything) to help those in need. Meanwhile aid flowing to Ukraine (that i absolutely support) makes a convenient straw man for the argument that the incumbents like them more than Americans. Will certainly affect the NC vote - a lot of hate voting against the current administration similar to Bush after Katrina. As the anger grows it may play a significant factor in the Presidential race. I look for trump to politicize the heck out of the situation.

6. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    First of all, Trump already has politicized it, even with some of his usual lies. But I suspect you're right about the votes. I'm sure none of us has a really solid grip on the scope of the aid. Whatever is being done, it's inevitable for those suffering to feel like it's not enough.
    And the political angle will obviously make it much worse. Phony photos of a heroic Trump wading thru deep water. Rightwing media claiming the federal govt isn't doing anything, etc.
    A partisan split that will make the bad even worse.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  7. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    • Informative Informative x 5
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  8. ursidman

ursidman VIP Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC
    Yet, at the heart of it is some truth. This is a/the raison d’etre for having a strong central government. The perception that not enough is being done - never mind the daunting logistical problems - will be fanned by those with other motives. Makes me ill to know its coming.

I donated some money to help - i’ll stop the rant mow.

9. ValdostaGatorFan

ValdostaGatorFan GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    TitleTown, USA