Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Harvard University President Accused of Plagiarizing PhD Thesis

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gatormonk, Dec 10, 2023.

1. gatormonk

gatormonk GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2023
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  2. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    Seemed like she plagiarized her canned answers to cogress in trying to defend threats of genocide of Jews, as not. Quite. Arising. to the level of "harrassment", without conduct.

Hey, what's a little jesting about exterminating your ppl between friends, right?

Either she lacks the ability to think for herself...or she's an idiot.

Going with the former, which would line up with plagiarism in college.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  3. mrhansduck

mrhansduck GC Hall of Fame

Nov 23, 2021
    The private schools having problems lately.

4. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Obscure right-wing source quoting Rufo the Clown who is alleging she ripped off a right-wing crank. I took a look at Rufo's allegations, and per usual, they are baseless horse manure.

His first accusation of "plagiarism" is a paragraph where she literally cited the source at the beginning of it, but Rufo the Clown doesn't think she made enough changes in the paraphrasing she did. Swing and a miss.

His second accusation of "plagiarism" involves similar language used by Gay and Swain to define two concepts. Yet, Swain herself was citing to a different source in using that language, and Gay had a long string cite at the end of the proposition to a number of sources. So no, Gay did not "plagiarize" Swain. They both cited other scholars for what are likely commonly used definitions in their discipline.

His third accusation of "plagiarism" also involves similar language used by Gay and Swain. The hilarity of this accusation is that it was a sentence introducing the issue. In the very next sentence, she quoted a specific number and cited to . . . guess who? . . . Carol freaking Swain. What a joke.

Basically, his accusations of "plagiarism" are a nothing burger. It's typical Rufo the Clown bullshit. Plausible enough that ignorant rubes buy into it, but obviously wrong to people who have some knowledge of the issue and how citations in academic writing work.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. G8tas

G8tas GC Hall of Fame

Sep 22, 2008
    Chris Rufo? Why should we believe anything that he has to say?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    He posted passages side by side . Swain, the person she allegedly plagiarized, all but confirmed it.

Are y'all--like Gay--no longer capable of thinking beyond your political team colors?

Clearly her skeletons are being aired for her abject failure to protect Jews on her campus from harrassment, and trying to dismisss grotesque intimidation as "free speech." Not going to deny why it's being aired.

....but who's the "sheeple" here?

I'd submit it's the team color water carrying foot soldiers who dutifully and blindly rise to defense of a [presumed] team mate, and attacking the messenger of an itchy message, because clearly....

The Jews on Harvard's campus ain't nothing but whiny bitches, for daring to raise a fuss over hundreds of warm, fuzzy, Palestinian sympathizing anti-semites parading, and calling for their peoples' genocide.

What? Not one Jew killed, and they dare invoke *harris-ment*??? Snowflakes!!!

Sidenote: someone pulled the curtain back, and gave us a glimpse at one of the many puppet strings Beijing pulls, to make our marionettes dance to chicom tunes...

PS--the Jews are on your team. They don't exactly vote in block for GOP candies. What prevents y'all from even seeing such an obvious point?

Tell me more about this "sheeple" business...

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 2
  8. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    • Like Like x 2
  9. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    I hope you aren’t operating heavy machinery in your current state.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  10. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    par for the course with that poster. not sure why it is still up

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    Where are the side by side passages posted; I didn't see them in the article posted by the OP?

12. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    they are there….you gotta click on the “tweet”. It seems when evidence is laid out as it in the “tweet”, the source should become less of an issue unless the writings being compared are faked which I doubt is the case

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Agreed on the source. But the claims are absurd. The first claim is clearly a lit review with proper citation. The second claim is clearly cited to one of Swain's later papers (which, I'd guess, probably contains a very similar passage). The third is a discussion of a method utilizing similar meanings but different wording (as one would expect when both discussed the same method).

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. swampbabe

swampbabe GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Viera, FL
    Actually, the OP is SUPPOSED to make their own commentary about why they posted it in the first place.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  15. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    Thank you for the question.

It depends on the context, as the term 'heavy' connotes a relative concept, such that were a cell phone measured against a paper clip, and I were operating a cell phone, one could say i was in fact operating 'heavy machinery.' Conversely, an automobile as measured against a crane or aircraft carrier, might be deemed to not be 'heavy machinery', while being of much greater weight--and therefore 'more heavy', as compared to the cell phone, though the cell phone in one context would be 'heavy machinery', while the 'automobile' in another context would not be.

Such nuancy analyses therefore, may, according to Harvardian analytics, thereby be invoked, to call into question such an apparently crystalline notion as whether a group of people calling for the genocide of another, while being objectively intimidating, crass, impolite, rude, despicable, vicious, disgusting, deplorable and generally unacceptable by any metric of civilized society, yet not arise to the level of "harassment", unless proper context co-exists at the time of such utterance and proclamation, as to render it so...

Clear enough for ya', City?

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    I’m not a mod

17. swampbabe

Apr 8, 2007
    Viera, FL
    LOL, how is this off topic? That’s just the supposed rule.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    I was not addressing the rule in my post

19. swampbabe

Apr 8, 2007
    Viera, FL
    I was looking at your response to post #10. Regardless, it’s just more mining for right wing nonsense by the OP

20. gatormonk

gatormonk GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    There are at least six threads on the first three pages of this forum with no comments in the first post. I noticed you didn't complain about them. You even actually posted on a few. :rolleyes:

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1