Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

HARD realities and decisions

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Gatorhead, Oct 16, 2022.

1. slayerxing

slayerxing GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2007
    Hard reality: Florida lost a lot of players off an experienced (should have been better) defense last year, and replaced them with almost nothing during a coaching transition.

Mohamoud Diabate - 2nd leading tackler
    Tyron Hopper - 4th leading tackler, #3 TFL (8) - one of missouri's best players now,
    Jeremiah Moon - 6th leading tackler
    Zac Carter - 9th leading tackler, #2 TFL - (11)
    Kair Elam - 10th leading tackler, one of the best corners in the SEC
    Khris Bogle - LB/DE
    Antonio Valentino - SR DT
    Daquan Newkirk - SR DT
    Tyrone Truesdell - SR DT

Florida did not replace these losses in the portal - probably the biggest mistake by the new staff right now.
    6 of the top 10 tacklers on this team this year are sophomores.
    All of our DT's are sophomores or younger - big problem. Not getting enough pub as the season goes along how this coaching staff is using a giant fat man and some other youngsters to try to hold the line.
    Our best LB is a low 3 star guy form 6 years ago
    4 of our top 5 players in the secondary are sophomores, and the one senior, Trey Dean, is having a tough year.

I think many of us thought this might get worse before it got better. And we are kind of seeing that now.
    We can debate maybe how the coaches could be covering up for their players better - but keep in mind that one of the best coaches of all time inherited a similar mess, but in fact it was year 3 of his tenure, and Meyers Florida's defense gave up 25.5 PPG, and had to win shootouts against Troy 59-31, Ole Miss 30-24, Kentucky 45-37, Vanderbilt 49-22, and South Carolina 51-31.

So... Again, I know it looks bad right now. But I'd just pump the brakes right now on any declarations that these coaches are incapable. We need more data before we can make that decision.

• Like x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Informative x 1
  2. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    One thing I saw that gives me a teany tiny bit of encouragement was Ventrell Miller
    Imploring his defensive team-mates to step up and not quit. Numerous players were listening in earnest.

That demonstrated to me, if nothing else. There was leadership and not a defeatist attitude.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1