Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Harassment of public officials rears its ugly head

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by Gator715, Jul 14, 2022.

1. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    If we have a point of agreement, its that there are plenty of things that people do and have been doing that are gross and weird, but not illegal. I'm not sure what to do about it, I suppose one thing people can do is get annoyed about people who complain about it or try to point out their supposed hypocrisy when they do it, its certainly their right, but it seems like a waste of time to me, which is why its hard to arouse any sort of anger about it. The most concerning thing is that if there was something this guy was doing that was illegal, the cops were notified multiple times and did nothing.

2. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    I wish it was. I'd be very happy in that scenario. My hope is always for the government to eliminate the need for my job.

Says the guy who started a "gotcha" thread that resulted in him "gotcha'ing" himself. :emoji_joy:

3. PerSeGator

PerSeGator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2014
    Who claimed "all speech in any manner or time is protected"? talk about a straw man.

Restrictions are analyzed according to the circumstances. The government has pretty much unlimited discretion to shut off public access to its facilities for safety reasons. That's why SCOTUS can fence off their entire courthouse. When they do that, it denies the public the right to be there for any reason, speech or not, meaning 1A isn't implicated.

On the other hand, if the government were to make a law saying you can't engage in any political speech outside a restaurant a SCOTUS judge is eating at, that would require the government satisfy heightened scrutiny. The public can still walk on the sidewalk--they're still allowed to be there--but now the government is saying they have to shut their mouth while present. To justify that, the government would need to show that the restrictions are applied in a content-neutral way; that they further an important interest; and that and do so in a means substantially related to the interest.

They've not done any of that with respect to Kavs, and probably can't, which is the authorities will allow those kinds of protests to continue, while maybe, at AOC's prompting, Congress does something to separate members from hecklers.

4. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    I don't much care if you obey. That's your prerogative. But explaining time, place, and manner restrictions to PerSe and me as if we are completely unaware of the concept betrays some extreme arrogance on your behalf. Would you try to explain to an orthopedic surgeon what a torn ACL is? I would hope not.

On the stalking issue, I recommend reviewing this case:
    Thunder Studios, Inc. v. Kazal, No. 19-55413 (9th Cir. 2021)

A guy tried to sue former business partners under California's stalking law, which excepts constitutionally protected activity. In relevant part, he accused the former business partners of paying people to show up and protest at his home and business and have a van covered in signs denouncing his business practices drive around town. The Ninth Circuit held that activity was protected by the First Amendment and therefore outside the scope of the stalking statute. Specifically, the court said:
    The district court found that a reasonable jury could conclude that Tony and Adam Kazals’ speech and speech-related conduct were a “true threat” and therefore not protected by the First Amendment. On independent review of the constitutional facts, we conclude that their conduct did not constitute a true threat. We therefore conclude that the Kazals’ conduct was protected under the First Amendment and was “[c]onstitutionally protected activity” excluded from coverage under California’s stalking statute. Cal. Civ. Code § 1708.7(b)(1).

Setting aside its content for a moment, speech and speech-related conduct like that of the Kazals are ordinarily protected. The Kazals hired protestors, organized leafletting, hired a van to drive around Los Angeles with a message on its side, and published emails online to “openly and vigorously [] mak[e] the public aware” of their views of David’s business practices. Org. for a Better Austin v. Keefe, 402 U.S. 415, 419 (1971).

The protections of the First Amendment are “nowhere stronger than in streets and parks,” which are traditional public fora. Berger v. City of Seattle, 569 F.3d 1029, 1035–36 (9th Cir. 2009) (en banc). While a few isolated parts of the protest were non-speech conduct—such as when a protestor banged on the car of one of David’s employees—this does not change the overall analysis. See NAACP v. Claiborne Hardware Co., 458 U.S. 886, 902, 933 (1982) (noting that “violent conduct is beyond the pale of constitutional protection” but the “ephemeral consequences of relatively few violent acts” do not render a protest unprotected).

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  5. ursidman

ursidman VIP Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC
    He does. But they are very situational.

6. gatorchamps960608

gatorchamps960608 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 4, 2020
    Look, some day you might need his advice on when to pull the french fries out of the hot oil.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. slayerxing

slayerxing GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2007
    coming from you… that means… almost nothing. But thanks for your brilliant contributions lol.

8. Orange_and_Bluke

Orange_and_Bluke Premium Member

Dec 16, 2015
    Lighten up bro.

9. slayerxing

slayerxing GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2007
    it’s a quote from a movie. You lighten up lol

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  10. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Lmao. :D You don't know me.

11. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    I recommend 18 U.S.C. § 2261A:

It is a felony under federal law to engage in stalking, defined as a course of conduct conducted online, through the mail, or traveling across state lines, which would put a person in reasonable fear of death or serious bodily injury or cause substantial emotional distress, when done with the intent to kill, injure, harass, intimidate, or surveil that person. 18 U.S.C. § 2261A

I also recommend State v. Maier.

"Maier argued, since his speech wasn’t a true threat, then it was protected by the First Amendment, and thus his convictions under the stalking statute were unconstitutional. The court rejected this argument and stated that in order to prove the initial stalking charges, the State had to prove that Maier’s “intentional course of conduct would have caused a reasonable person to suffer serious emotional distress or to fear bodily injury or death to herself” or another family member."

This is not to say that stalking statutes are never applied in unconstitutional fashion, but I never argued that.

12. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    What is the cite to State v. Maier? Because the snippet you posted isn't useful without context. And you can recommend that statute all you'd like. It cannot criminalize protected speech. (Plus, lol at any claim that protesters inconveniencing Kavanaugh caused "substantial emotional distress.")

13. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    I know it cannot criminalize protected speech, but that's the entire issue now isn't it? The question is whether this is protected speech.

https://www.wicourts.gov/ca/opinion/DisplayDocument.pdf?content=pdf&seqNo=111955

14. fubar1

fubar1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Jacksonville, FL
    Yup, started in earnest with Maxine Waters openly calling for the harassment of any and all Trump Admin staff in public places. Was a batshit crazy thing to do then and the Left has only amped up the rhetoric.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    1. You're offering a case from Wisconsin's intermediate appellate court.
    2. Your case supports my point.

You might ask how your case supports my point. I posted a case where the court determined that because there was no true threat, the stalking statute did not cover the protected speech at issue. You posted a case that determined because there was a true threat, the stalking statute did not punish protected speech. Direct quote: "[W]e will assume, without deciding, that the stalking statute cannot be constitutionally applied to Maier unless his letters contained a true threat."

16. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    My point was that stalking laws can pass constitutional muster. I gave you a situation where a Wisconsin court specifically said the State can convict someone of stalking if: "the Defendant's intentional course of conduct would have caused a reasonable person to suffer serious emotional distress or to fear bodily injury or death to herself” or another family member."

Then, you give me this statement of law noting that if "there is no true threat," then the conduct is protected under the First Amendment, this is not an issue I ever rebutted.

The Court notes the following regarding "true threats:" "A true threat is determined using an objective reasonable person standard. A true threat is a statement that a speaker would reasonably foresee that a listener would reasonably interpret as a serious expression of a purpose to inflict harm, as distinguished from hyperbole, jest, innocuous talk, expressions of political views, or other similarly protected speech. It is not necessary that the speaker have the ability to carry out the threat. In determining whether a statement is a true threat, the totality of the circumstances must be considered."

The Court also notes the following: "Given that the “course of conduct” in this case consists of Maier’s letters, the second element in the instructions told the jury to find Maier guilty only if Maier’s letters would have caused a reasonable person in the position of the 2006 jurors to experience serious emotional distress. And, the fourth element in the instructions told the jury to find Maier guilty only if Maier knew or should have known that his letters would have that effect. In other words, the italicized portions of the instruction essentially informed the jury that it must find that Maier’s letters contained a true threat—under the Perkins objective standard—in order to find Maier guilty."

Last edited: Jul 15, 2022
  17. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    That wasn't your point. Don't misrepresent what you argued in the Kavanaugh thread. I told you that using the stalking laws against the protesters would be unconstitutional AS APPLIED. You disagreed.
    Kavanaugh had a bad steak dinner at Morton’s.

18. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Is this the quote you are referencing?

My point here is that our stalking and harassment laws apply to government officials, "if you want to poo-poo that as your typical protected First Amendment speech, as “actions have consequences,” all I can say is, “be careful what you wish for.”"

Now if you want to suggest that I was arguing that no enforcement or application of stalking laws can violate the First Amendment, of course that's not true, and that's not what I said.

19. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    No, this one where you tried to justify arresting protesters on stalking charges:
    You can't use the stalking law to arrest the people protesting on the sidewalk outside Morton's. I was very clear on that. And you certainly argued with me for quite awhile in that thread. Are you now saying you agree?

P.S. Stalking laws aren't content neutral, so the time, place, or manner test isn't a good argument in favor of their constitutionality. They're constitutional when they regulate conduct and not expressive activity or when they regulate speech that falls outside of the First Amendment's protection (e.g., true threats).

20. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    You can't necessarily arrest all of them for stalking, but I don't think I ever said that. When I referred to stalking I was referring to the people following around the justices to locations in private capacities like their home or restaurants... issuing bounties in exchange for their location, etc.

The point you seemed to make is that arresting these people definitely violates the First Amendment. I made the case that it doesn't necessarily violate the First Amendment. Frankly, either way, this shouldn't be socially acceptable behavior going in either direction, which was also a large part of the point I made in the Kavanaugh thread as well as this thread.

Stalking laws are content neutral.

Here's a piece from a Notre Dame Law journal.

"Stalking Statutes Are a Permissible, Content-Neutral Regulation of Conduct"

https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/268218304.pdf