Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Grayson McCall

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by doctorg8r, Dec 12, 2022.

1. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Or we could have Trask and no defense. Football games are won in the line of scrimmage and we have to get that fixed first. Getting a quarterback for a few wins next year looks good on the surface but we have to have football players first

Last edited: Dec 18, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

Great stuff as usual, doc.

One thing that I find most interesting is the QBR. Juxtapose Grayson McCall's QBR with Spencer Sanders' QBR and see if anything looks out of sorts.

There is no way, judging by the facts you presented us with, that McCall has a lower QBR than Sanders. The QBR must have other statistics to bear that out.

Grayson McCall
    2,633 yds (54th)
    TD 24 (Tied-27th)
    INT 2 (Tied-2nd)

QBR 67.8 (43rd)

Spencer Sanders
    2,642 yds (52nd)
    TD - 17 (Tied-61st)
    INT - 9 (Tied-85th)

QBR 71.7 (30th)

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. lizardbreath

lizardbreath GC Hall of Fame

Aug 30, 2017
    Pace, FL
    I personally don't see it as a black and white, either-or proposition. A decent season next year could provide a springboard to a more rapid turnaround in our long-term fortunes, and I have no problem with that at all. And frankly, dumb or not, going into next season with a woefully inadequate QB situation does not appeal to me. I also don't expect that a one-year plug and play QB will break the bank to the extent that some seem to think. I guess we'll find out how BN and the big money boys see things soon enough. Que sera sera.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    QBR appears to be a little more comprehensive than that and accounts for more than just those stats. From Wikipedia:

Just looking at the box score stats, Sanders contributed more rushing yards than McCall. Beyond that, I would guess that QBR credits Sanders for a higher degree of difficulty, but I can't say for sure.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Gatorrick22

Apr 3, 2007
    Thank you for looking it up, MadduxFanII. For me the three main stats to consider the productivity of a QB, that should matter the most to any coach, is the total passing yards, TD's and the INTs. Those three stats mean the most to me. I wonder how much stock coaches put into these same three statistics... QBR be damned.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. ncg8or

ncg8or All American

May 28, 2007
    Added completion % above, McCall completes nearl 70% with Sanders under 60%. I know who I’m after if I’m Billy.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Gatorrick22

Apr 3, 2007
    Yeah, that QBR needs to be tweaked to make any real sense to me. That (completion %) is one huge statistic that is missing in all this which puts McCall way over the top of all the other QBs in the portal.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. MadduxFanII

Apr 10, 2007
    The other thing to consider is the strength of schedule factor -- Sanders was facing Big 12 defenses (I know, I know), while McCall was playing against Sun Belt competition. I wouldn't be surprised if that hurts McCall's rating in the more advanced stats.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  9. Gatorrick22

Apr 3, 2007
    SOS could be a factor in the QBR. I have no idea how they compute the QBR to make any real sense to me.

But to me there are, and I have to fix my above post to make this point, four crucial statistics. Pass completion % is very important... as is total yards per year and career... as well as passing TDs/Total TDs versus INTs.

Running years per year or game might matter, depending on how we use our QB, but McCall can run the ball well enough to get the short yards we need to get important yards.

Grayson McCall
    Pass Completions 70%
    2,633 yds (54th)
    TD 24 (Tied-27th)
    INT 2 (Tied-2nd)

QBR 67.8 (43rd)

Spencer Sanders
    Pass Completions 60%
    2,642 yds (52nd)
    TD - 17 (Tied-61st)
    INT - 9 (Tied-85th)

QBR 71.7 (30th)

10. MadduxFanII

Apr 10, 2007
    There's nothing wrong with those stats, but when evaluating them you have to keep context in mind. It's one thing when you're looking at NFL statistics -- there's a (mostly) uniform level of play across the league, so when you compare one QB's stat to another's you're basically comparing like to like.

That's not really the case in college (and it's even less so in high school) -- you have wildly different systems and wildly different quality of competition across the conferences. McCall's box score statistics are much better than Sanders', but that doesn't mean the same thing as it does when you observe that Patrick Mahomes has much better box score statistics than Mitchell Trubisky.

So you have to evaluate how much of McCall's success will carry over to the SEC and how much of it is a product of playing in a great offensive system, led by a great offensive coach, and playing in a lower-level conference. Napier gets paid very well to make those difficult evaluations.

As a matter of personal preference I would probably go with McCall over Sanders or any of the other realistic options. But I can't honestly say that I've broken down the film or done any of the other work necessary to really make an informed call.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Gatorrick22

Apr 3, 2007
    I completely agree that the college football playoff committee should use the SOS far more when considering and deciding the teams they choose for the playoffs.

However... if we use conference argument as a consideration for the QBR, then on the same token, you might also discount how good our Sunbelt conference transfers, Johnson and Torrence, have been to our team this year. And we all know how good they played in the SEC for the first time.

So, SOS should not reflect the skills of a player, especially a QB. And the QBR should not be a reflection of the SOS, which is used to judge the overall value of a QB in the Transfer Portal.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Price depends on how good of a qb we get. How many teams of the twenty that actually try to win at all cost need a qb? It’ll be like an auction house. A top 20 qb won’t be terribly expensive but a guy that could be a heisman candidate would be paid if a playoff capable team needs a plug and play. Milroe going to win a title at Bama next year, I doubt it. Is there one out there that fits that description

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    I like the guy that doesn’t make mistakes also. To add to that, I also like the guy that consistently gets us to second and less than five. Keeping ahead of the chains and few 3rd and longs , make it easy , no need for third down heroics three times a drive.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. lizardbreath

Aug 30, 2017
    Pace, FL
    That's a damn good question...I guess we'll find out in the next couple of weeks.

15. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    It would seem to me that a top 5 in the nation qb would come with quite a price tag. What player could possibly be more valuable. These are basically veteran free agents in their prime, not tge rookie draft. I see the portal being much more expensive than the fresh kids or at least they should be.

16. Gatorrick22

Apr 3, 2007
    I'll say this one time, but I will not be comparing skill sets even if they it's about the same football position on offense. I'm not comparing Tebow to McCall, but I am saying what coach Greg Mattison said about Tebow. It's been said that before we landed Tebow Mattison said (paraphrasing here) that if we miss out on Tebow that could set us back 10 years. Now, again, not comparing Tebow to McCall, but I am saying that if we miss out on McCall it will be the biggest miss and mistake that Napier would have made to this date. He is that good and a must get player, IMHO.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  17. lizardbreath

Aug 30, 2017
    Pace, FL
    It occurs to me that two things might mitigate costs to a certain extent; we would almost certainly be looking at a one-year deal with any of the top portal QBs, as opposed to three or more with a positional player - plus, the opportunity to a give a QB the chance to showcase his talents for the NFL against an SEC schedule could be quite an incentive in itself.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Gatorrick22

Apr 3, 2007
    I think McCall has two years of eligibility, but I think if we get him and he balls-out? And I do think he would thrive in Gainesville, he would only need one year to "complete" his resume for the NFL. He's a one and done for sure that checks all the boxes for the Gators.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  19. spike718

spike718 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    I thought Wisconsin could be a landing spot for Leary (his old OC is now there) but they took a qb so not sure or they take two.

doesn’t Learys sister attend UF?

20. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Wonder if Wiscy might take two guys since Evers has zero playing experience...but seems like UK and AU are his preferred spots. Respect the kid a lot, but he is a statue in the pocket

• Agree Agree x 1