Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Grayson McCall

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by doctorg8r, Dec 12, 2022.

1. doctorg8r

doctorg8r GC Hall of Fame

Dec 11, 2018
    Yes, a Grayson McCall is going to open up the run game. OSU stacked the line and made Miller beat them with his arm, which he couldn't do. Many posters were expressing confidence in Miller and it was obvious he's nowhere close to challenging anyone for the starting position. Grayson McCall should not be a threat to Rashada, because he will more than likely play one year and go to the NFL.

I am tired of watching this abysmal product on the field and it starts with the qb! I can't imagine anyone related to the program wanting to watch another year of a project at quarterback! I will say this, I trust Napier and he will do what is in the best interest of Gator Nation. Regardless of what happens, I think the Gators cannot function with just Miller and Rashada next year.

On a different note, all of us have opinions, and then some act like their opinions exceed everyone else. The way some express their opinions here reminds me of a schoolyard bully that functions by intimidation. Now, I haven't specifically called anyone out, but some of you know exactly who you are. Stop the condescending BS and acting like you know it all!

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  2. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2008
    Napier had nothing to do with taking Bowman. Mullen holdover.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. sqgator

sqgator GC Legend

Apr 3, 2007

I think he is talking about the WR and not the RB. I too wander why we took Bowman in transfer portal.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. doctorg8r

Dec 11, 2018
    This speaks for itself (ESPN stats)

Spencer Sanders
    2,642 yds (52nd)
    TD - 17 (Tied-61st)
    INT - 9 (Tied-85th)
    QBR 71.7 (30th)

Devin Leary
    1,265 yds (116th)
    TD 11 (Tied-90th)
    INT 4 (Tied-11th)
    QBR 55.3 (76th)

Michael Pratt
    2,776 yds (43rd)
    TD 25 (Tied-18th)
    INT 5 (Tied-21st)
    QBR 65.8 (49th)

Grayson McCall
    2,633 yds 54th
    TD 24 (Tied-27th)
    INT 2 (Tied-2nd)
    QBR 67.8 (43rd)

• Like Like x 1
  5. duggers_dad

duggers_dad GC Hall of Fame

Jan 5, 2022
    ^ muddles the picture

6. gatorstevelp

gatorstevelp Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    a little early in the kids career to be calling him out like that don’t you think?
    There were many on here questioning what Napier was doing taking Pearsall because he was coming from Arizona and he had not played against SEC type defenses, or the ULL Kids etc. What were your thoughts on them?

7. username

username GC Hall of Fame

Aug 17, 2017
    If we are to get one of theseQBs we have been Talking about on this forum (McCall, Pratt, etc)…is there anyway we can get that QBs main receiver to also come over to us?

• Like Like x 1
  8. lizardbreath

lizardbreath GC Hall of Fame

Aug 30, 2017
    Pace, FL
    I agree with several points made by various posters that seem to be contradictory but in reality, aren't:

1. We must restock virtually every position group simultaneously, with special emphasis on the D, OL and WR, in order to become even somewhat competitive in the near term.
    2. A high-quality, plug and play QB who can elevate the offense well enough to give us a chance at a winning season in '23 is not our only pressing need. But the shocking collapse of Gator FB that has occurred over the previous 2-plus seasons must be reversed as soon as possible, before it becomes a full-on descent into the abyss (see Neb, TN, scUM, etc.). Solid progress, including at least 7 wins in'23, is an absolute must IMO and some productive stability at QB would be like money from home.
    3. Miller is an OK back up QB at best. And although Rashada is an excellent talent who could well be the key to our future success, throwing a true freshman to the wolves right out of the gate is seldom a good idea. Hence, a player like McCall, Pratt, Leary or Hartmann could give us a huge boost in the long run by helping to the staunch the bleeding in the here and now.
    4. Times like these tend to bring out the best in some people and the worst in others. To some extent, frustration and bickering among actual Gator fans is the natural byproduct of the type of situation we find ourselves in now. But when a program is struggling like ours is, fan boards can become a playground for trolls and bullies. And IMHO, we are dealing with some of that crap now. There is no reasoning with someone who refuses to be reasonable. Hence, there is no point in taking anything they say to heart. I find the ignore option to be a fine solution to that particular problem. When some vexatious, quarrelsome jackass reveals himself as such, I just kick his stupid butt into the "cornfield" and call it good.

End of rant.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. doctorg8r

Dec 11, 2018
    Devin Leary has a receiver, Devin Carter, that has entered the portal. I would be very happy if we got them both, but I would imagine Auburn has the edge with Leary.

10. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Interested in how we spend whatever amount of money we might have.. we can’t buy all the holes we have but where are our priorities going to be.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. doctorg8r

Dec 11, 2018
    Getting a highly ranked quarterback in the Portal, winning 8 games is a possibility. However, if we get a Graham Mertz type qb, I hate to predict our record. We FLAT-OUT NEED A MCCALL, LEARY, PRATT (not yet in the portal), OR HARTMAN. Anyone else is a crap shoot!

• Like Like x 2
  12. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    1…. The restocking.
    The biggest factor to me while doing this is stability. Only 50 guys really play but the next guys that will fill their shoes need to be on the roster for 2-3 years before they start. The heavy turnover even if reloaded with talent is just an all star team but not really a team at all. Oregon st. Is a great example of a stable program with a bunch of 3* kids that have been in a stable program with a decent staff. Most of our kids avg 1-3 years on the team, I’d guess their time with team is quite a bit longer. It’s great to add a few key players from the portal to fill a weakness or two but an all star team isn’t going to play with Georgia year one no matter how talented they are. It’s much the same as our Olympic basketball teams. They win from superior talent against inferior competition but would get destroyed by the current nba champions. Give tgat ol yo team four years to be together and the tables would turn. We are in such bad shape right now in stability that talent isn’t going to turn it around that fast. I just hope to see it start to happen towards the end of next year. We have a nucleus of young guys that played a lot this year but there aren’t enough yet. Combine those with the incoming class and maybe two years from now we see some wins materialize. It won’t be next year.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Bowman the WR was a walkon....and our 2nd leading receiver yesterday

• Informative Informative x 2
  14. ncg8or

ncg8or All American

May 28, 2007
    Exactly, QB is the most important player on the team and is the top portal priority.

McCall plays Dec 27, Pratt plays Jan 2 in the Cottom Bowl, and Hartman plays Dec 23. We should know something in the next 2weeks.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  15. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    How many million does the top qb get in the portal?

16. lizardbreath

lizardbreath GC Hall of Fame

Aug 30, 2017
    Pace, FL
    I agree that HS recruiting is absolutely the backbone of the rebuilding effort. One of the reasons we are in the position we're in now is that DM relied heavily on bringing in transfers - in lieu of proper, effective HS recruiting. The holes that were left after some of these guys left after a year or two in the program contributed to some degree to the glaring lack of talent at a number of positions that we are seeing now. But I believe that a happy medium between building for the future and helping ourselves in the here and now is both achievable and to some extent necessary. I strongly believe that a QB room consisting of a journeyman backup and two freshmen, no matter how talented one of them may turn out to be, is not a good idea.

17. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Throwing a bunch of it at a portal QB to try and make next season look better is a dumb way to spend limited resources in my opinion

18. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    We need a qb to be decent on offense for sure. It’ll win or lose half the games . I’m just wondering how much that qb is going to cost and how many other players won’t be brought in because the cash isn’t unlimited. I’m not so sure I wouldn’t rather have a linebacker, an oline, and a dt that are plug and play and have at least two years left. Maybe we can afford to buy them all but given that choice, I may would choose to take my lumps next year and take the other players. Teams like Bama could have a championship on the line if they can pull that qb so it could get very expensive. What do you think Bama would be willing to pay for that qb? And then how much more do you think we would have to pay to get the kid to play for us instead?

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    I tend to agree. It’ll make the season better and less noise in the system but you could be missing some key guys you never got a couple years from now when we potentially have a qb capable of winning the sec.

• Like Like x 1
  20. ncg8or

ncg8or All American

May 28, 2007
    Muschamp agrees with you. ;)