Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Got interesting after the game

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by tenfold, Mar 20, 2024.

1. tenfold

tenfold GC Legend

Oct 31, 2023
    Where the crawfish stay.
    Not sure this is posted but JU players were telling UF player to get off the field it’s theirs now..

here’s the link

I am sure it will be run rule next game. You can’t poke the bear.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Good.
    Maybe some humiliation will finally wake them up from whatever self induced ego slumber they’ve been in for the entire season outside of 4 or 5 games.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    To the victor go the spoils; don't like the other team celebrating, don't let 'em win. I do hope it pokes the bear, but more this weekend, than our next matchup with JU (4/16 in case anybody is wondering).

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  4. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist

Apr 3, 2007
    I agree overall. Though also I think telling the home team players to get off their own field after 7-6 victory is less a form of celebration than it is a low class insult. But like you said, just make sure to win next time.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

Lol—it kinda reminded me of UCF’s self-proclaimed Natty….:devil:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  6. Gatorgal04

Gatorgal04 Lowly Fan Moderator

Apr 3, 2007
    Titletown, FL
    If we take the LSU series, I think I'll send JU a thank you note.

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    "This bush league psyche-out stuff. Laughable."

- Jesus Quintana in The Big Lebowski

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  8. gatorranger7

gatorranger7 All American

Jun 8, 2007
    They earned the right to talk.

Not classy, but when big-bad goes down in their own stadium, it's what you get.

9. gator126

gator126 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Tarpon Springs Florida
    Gators have issues particularly the pitching staff. Hopefully that in your face stuff by JU wakes this team up. Very poor ball so far. Their weekday games have been embarrassing.

10. audiogatorjim

audiogatorjim GC Hall of Fame

Mar 15, 2009
    I know how to make sure this doesn’t happen again; don’t play JU anymore.
    I’m sure UF doesn’t need to play JU - they play them as a kind gesture since they are just 75 miles away. So, send a note to JU AD and remind them we don’t need to play them if they want to be bush league.
    I know boys will be boys but the JU program needs to set these guys straight and show some good sportsmanship and respect.

11. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I wasn't there ...but I wouldn't assume UF was totally innocent either. There are at least a couple of guys on our team that have a very strong tendency to run their mouth, a lot. It wouldn't be at all surprising to me if there wasn't at least some back and forth thru that game. If you want to talk you have to expect it's going to come back at you.

• Agree Agree x 8
  12. filamg8torfan

filamg8torfan GC Legend

Mar 17, 2019
    Why? That sounds like ru
    Why? That sounds like running away from compétition because they beat you?

13. audiogatorjim

Mar 15, 2009
    I don’t think so; it’s not the first time we’ve been beat in baseball and other sports by a much smaller school; assuming it did occur, teams that beat us in a given game can act like winners, not jackasses. We control our schedule, not them. JU’s coach should corral these guys. Reminds me of some stunt UGA, FSU, or Miami would pull.

• Like Like x 1
  14. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Hall of Fame

Feb 22, 2017
    I understand where you’re coming from. They should be thanking us for the opportunity.

I’m also more for shutting them up by kicking their ass on the field not ducking them and refusing to play. I know we try some things with our lineups and pitchers in these games, and dropping one here or there isn’t really going to derail our season as long as we handle business on the weekends. At the same time, we had pretty much the whole top of our lineup in this game for the entire game. Our top 6 should beat jax handily by themselves. If you don’t want ju talking trash and claiming your field, beat their ass and send them home with their tails tucked.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. TheBoss

TheBoss Premium Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Gainesville
    While some of the other programs in FL are not championship level, every one of them comes to Gainesville DYING to knock off the big boys. The big boys, on the other hand, are DYING to win another natty and use the midweek games to build a championship team. The JU behavior is annoying to fans and team alike, but it's a great opportunity for both teams to to apply the trite saying, act like you've been there before. JU knows theyve won in Gvl before, Gators have lost to weaker FL teams while working on developing frosh pitchers. JU has beaten the Gators many times over the long rivalry, but during the lifetimes of the current squad, possibly including the coaches, it hasn't reached a level high enough where beating the Gators once in a row isn't a high point of the season. My inclination is to feel the Gators may benefit much more from the loss than JU benefits from the win.

I hated the loss because it showed the Gators haven't yet reached the stage this year where they can brush aside the best a team like JU has to offer, but I'm certain JU won't be celebrating many wins in June, while I have high hopes the Gators will. If we meet JU at the CWS and they get chippy. I still won't worry. But rather than the CWS, the best they can dream is to come back in the next few years as a 4 seed in a Gvl Regional. THAT'S the time to give them a spanking, not in some petty administrative tantrum.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. audiogatorjim

Mar 15, 2009
    Yours and paidinfull’s takes are understood and I’d like to do the payback thing to bush league teams like JU. Just know to make this happen when we play them next month, we actually have to beat them.
    I’m pretty sure we will we steadily improve through the season!

17. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

It’s been my experience both as a player and a coach when you play a game (vs a lesser talented team) you always have the chance to play down to their level…..frustrating as hell, but it’s always been that way.

By the same token, if you play up you will take some lumps for sure, but you will be a better team at the end of your season.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  18. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Daytona Beach
    are u freakin kidding? Have u seen our guys run their mouth . Stop it with the Boy Scouts bs

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    The worst thing about the modern game is that you can't throw some chin music at chins that are wagging too much.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Hall of Fame

Feb 22, 2017
    You can, you just have to act like it was an accident. :devil:

• Funny Funny x 1