Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Good guy with gun kills a teen returning an airsoft gun to sporting goods store

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by WarDamnGator, Jun 12, 2024.

1. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I think you're talking past each other. You are making a legal distinction as opposed to a moral distinction.

Legally I think you are correct. There is a distinction from the Zimmerman case. But that's only because we have created a legal regimen where a concealed gun toting bigot with a vigilante mindset can literally cause/provoke the confrontation, and when the antagonist reacts in a predictable human manner, shoot them dead, with impunity.

It's a perverse evil legal regimen set up with that scenario in mind, to insulate it from legal liability and hopefully to promote it happening more.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. danmanne65

danmanne65 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 2, 2022
    DeLand
    I wish we could have removed his access to carry a gun after the first incident. My heart bleeds for this poor kids family.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    Too cold for Too Hot.

Belongs in the Pub, or some neutral news thing.

4. phatGator

phatGator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2007
    Dayton, Ohio
    Sometimes the reality is both sides.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    Not in the case of these armed losers who bother unarmed citizens, end up killing them, then cry “I was standing my ground.” #MindYourBusiness #FakeAssCops

6. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    They're desperate for actual racism to feed their Atticus Finch complexes (self-identity).

Can't be Atticus Finch without a mob to wag your finger at, scorn down upon, and lecture from on high...

7. danmanne65

danmanne65 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 2, 2022
    DeLand
    I honestly believe that Tilly truly is pro life. There is a large percentage of people who are only pro birth.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Go over to the football boards, people literally call football-sized teens and adults "kids' when talking about recruits and athletes in the program

9. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    Be that as it may, the anti-birth and anti-life proponents are clearly indistinguishable (as you can't have life after birth if you neutralize the birth, or otherwise kill 'em pre-birth), leaving the rest to be, by default, pro-life.

:cool:

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  10. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    to be clear, that was a police officer, not a citizen, right?’

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    That's different. They're entertaining us. That's an acceptable role.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  12. phatGator

Dec 3, 2007
    Dayton, Ohio
    I appreciate your comments. I do think both of you are still missing my point. @murphree_hall had expressed a lack of confidence that parking lot shooter would be convicted because Zimmerman was not convicted. He described it as becoming cynical about these outcomes.

I was merely trying to encourage him by pointing out that there is a difference between this case and the Zimmerman case. I guess no good deed goes unpunished. :D

Zimmerman was able to make a self-defense assertion because of his injuries and apparently it convinced the jury. Parking lot shooter was not threatened in any way. Therefore, I believe he will not be able to make that defense, and that he will be convicted. I hope so.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Especially when you consider one murdered an innocent teenager and the other posted on a message board.

Whoa, @tilly, you rated the following post "Winner"?

"Profile much??? You are just as bad as this dirt bag.

What the hell? Comparing a murderer to the poster of a questionable post is so mind numbingly ridiculous it defies any semblance of rational thought process.

• Like Like x 1
  14. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I understood your point, and responded. I am disputing whether GZ should have been able to successfully assert self-defense under any moral calculation or most prior legal formulation. I'm also saying that juries, probably subconsciously, see TM as more likely to put one in reasonable fear than GZ, and that helps with a jury. Reverse the identity of the parties, and a jury may not have found TM was acting in reasonable self-defense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    You seen any of those videos about the Minute Men, rednecks patrolling the Mexican boarder playing "Army", under no liscence or authority?

I wonder how many dead illegals are left to rot by that crowd.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. phatGator

Dec 3, 2007
    Dayton, Ohio
    Do you think parking lot shooter will be able to make a successful assertion of self-defense for shooting the kid in the back who was walking away from him?

17. gatorjo

gatorjo GC Hall of Fame

Feb 24, 2024
    I'm not going to get into the weeds with you, when any follower of the news ahould know the facts. Republicans enable gun proliferation and removal of regulation at all available opportunities.

Just look at numerous recent easings of carry laws. Or the fact that in many states one can buy an AR-15 but not a beer.

Look at North Carolina :

In the past month, Senate Bill 41 passed both NC Senate and House

The legislation removes sheriffs' authority to refuse a permit based on signs of mental illness, domestic abuse incidents that might not be captured in a national database, or other indicators that a person could be a danger to themselves or others.

In the past month, Senate Bill 41 passed both NC Senate and House.

Then from a later article;

North Carolina residents can now buy a handgun without getting a permit from a local sheriff, after the Republican-controlled legislature on Wednesday overrode the Democratic governor’s veto — a first since 2018.

And wow - this is a surprise !!!

The 2023 North Carolina Child Fatality Task Force reports that gun deaths for children have increased dramatically-231.3% between 2012 and 2021. Guns are now the leading cause of injury and death for children in North Carolina, surpassing car accidents

• Informative Informative x 3
  18. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    The comment is not about abortion. It was an attempt to bring attention to the hypocrisy of alleged "pro-life conservatives" claiming to be pro-life when it comes to abortion, yet when it comes to stopping gun toting murderers like this, those same people go wrap themselves up in the 2nd Amendment and threaten anyone who proposes restrictions on this type of person from being allowed to own a fire arm. That is the point.

• Like Like x 4
  19. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Likely not, but if he becomes a cause celebre, maybe. You have to wait till all facts are known, both externally verifiable facts and cultural "facts", like character assassination on the victims, etc. It can look a lot different by the time the culture decides this is a cause to fight for and begins reshaping the narrative

20. gatorjo

gatorjo GC Hall of Fame

Feb 24, 2024
    Your post is total bullcrap.

Republicans favor every law possible that makes it EASIER for untrained, unqualified people to purchase and carry firearms, including high-powered rifles. This enables criminals better opportunities to steal firearms, enables more illegal resales, and allows unsafe or clownish owners to be dangerous without, say, completing proper training.

You may SAY you are not pro violence or pro murder......but if you vote Republican, you are pro enabling violence and murder.

So why do you vote to enable violence and murder?

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1