Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Golf Courses and Hotels in Florida State Parks

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by channingcrowderhungry, Aug 23, 2024.

1. WC53

WC53 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
    I heard they are trying to do all parks at the same time in virtual meetings in order to not face the Mongolian hoard;)

2. ursidman

ursidman VIP Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC
    No doubt. Public meetings about a controversial project can be, almost always are brutal in Florida. I have scars still.

3. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    I thought golf was dying. I didn't realize the covid bump was that enormous.

[​IMG]

4. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    My sister in law does roadway design and she's usually the sacrificial lamb they send out to the public meetings where all the local residents are pissed the new highway cuts through their part of town. She's got some stories.

5. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I would rather that the state stops tearing out old golf courses to make room for development instead of destroying our state parks. Stop building houses on old golf courses and problem solved.

But I am NOT for building these structures on state park land.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2024
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. ursidman

ursidman VIP Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC
    Those are among the meetings that i was referring to. Roads v Wildlife.

7. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    try being the traffic guy that has to explain that the previously approved shopping center not built will generate more traffic than the proposed apartment complex. People can't fathom the concept that changing the zoning to allow for the apt complex will decrease the traffic count and be better than the existing zoning. all they know is the property doesn't generate any traffic right now with cows on it even if it is already approved for a shopping center.. or the drainage guy that has to explain that the new development with lakes and control structures will discharge stormwater at a lesser rate and cleaner water than the undeveloped property. Kind of like scientists trying to explain that the covid vaccine doesn't have to be 100% to be effective. and then try being the zoning board member who tries to explain it to them and why you approved the project.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    i'm the black hat guy representing the family that is developing next to the panther preserve...7 panther crossings, 7+ acres being preserved, cleared of exotics, hydrologically restored (remove old farm roads), revegetated, and maintained in perpetuity for every 1 acre being developed. mitigation even includes inspection for and removal of any exotic wildlife. Private python maintenance over thousand and thousands of acres..create a helathy ecosystemw ith better food sources for the panthers. try explaining how that is better than the existing condition with 70% + exotic infestation and mammal depletion by pythons and anacondas. at grade road crossings for two major roads being replaced with elevated roads and panther crossings. miles of panther fencing to keep them in the preserves. in short, the proposed development will improve the conditions for the panthers, try explaining that

Last edited: Aug 23, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Not surprised, I live on a golf course and it was regularly packed during covid as people wanted to get outside. Of course the owners subsequently doubled green fees and attendance is now way down. At least they invested in some nice new golf carts with range finders. :)

10. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    You wonder if they really think this is the best use of state parks. Granted, they're unlikely to be people who like to camp and hike. Maybe not even picnic. Hotels and golf, on the other hand ...
    But, especially given that this plan was apparently devised in secret, and DeSantis being DeSantis ... there seems a good guess that it's just a way to hand billions in state money to his donors who would get the contracts.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. slocala

slocala VIP Member

Jan 11, 2009
    OT: are there upcoming landfill retirements in FL where golf courses are being proposed to create unique elevations? I only know of Park Ridge in Palm Beach.

12. ursidman

ursidman VIP Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC
    Will that put more panthers into more backyards than now?
    I very much like the underpasses as they have proved to be extremely effective in preventing road killed panthers, bears and other wildlife. Expensive mitigation though as you know. I helped with the placement of the first underpasses on Alligator Alley/ SR-84 one of which enables safe passage from the Panther Refuge (old Collier land) into the Fakahatchee at a location of what had been a chronic location of panther vs car (probably #1). Since then - zero panthers hit.

• Like Like x 3
  13. ursidman

ursidman VIP Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC
    100% this. I think public opposition- citizen outrage may overcome this proposal though. I remember what happen to the Cross Florida Barge Canal and the Everglades Jetport which were halted even after considerable construction had been done.

14. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Several Golf Courses have shut down over the last 10 years or so in my area. Probably about 1/2 of them, really. I doubt the ones left want competition from the state.

I do think state parks could be made better with more activities, but ones that don't compete with the private sector. Never understood why government has all these lake and water front areas, but don't allow swimming... I'd also like to see them open up to more natural surface trails for trail running and mountain bikes. Alafia State Park contains an abandoned phosphate strip mining area that was converted to natural surface trails, and it's great. That alone draws 100s of visitors on the weekends at $5 a car. About the closest thing you can get to steep terrain changes in Florida. Would like to see more of that. The state has reclaimed a lot those old phosphate mines and just sits on them.

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  15. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    need to get out of the landfills and into incinerators. turn trash into energy. best decision that Lee County ever made. no reason every other county can't do the same

Waste-To-Energy: How it Works (leegov.com)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. channingcrowderhungry

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    I haven't really heard of people considering this in a while. It seemed to be a thing about 10-15 years ago. There's one on Jax that they got as far as putting cart paths on but it never got developed past that. Not sure if remediation costs or golf course profitablity was the driving factor.

17. channingcrowderhungry

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    I was pretty shocked to learn recently while on vacation that there are multiple landfills in the Florida Keys.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    preserves are separated from development by lakes minimum 150' wide or 10' tall panther fencing so either the panther has to swim at least 150' or they have to scale the fences that were designed by biologists to prevent them from being able to cross. Not sure if the biologists' assertions (USFWS, FWC, and others) that they won't swim the lakes is correct or not. I believe there is some what if language getting added to the special conditions that if they do start swimmin, fences will have to be added to backside of lakes. what are your thoughts on black bears and/or panthers swimming across the lakes to get to the development? During dry season, assuming a 4' dry season drop, the actual water surface will decrease to 118' minimum. I'm curious to watch how the mammal population responds to the improved habitat and python and hog control. Interesting bid package, inspect property, monitor trail cams, remove exotic reptiles and mammals. Thought we were done when FDEP was permitting it and was ready for permit issuance then the rug got pulled out after 7 years and now we just got assigned out 4th different ACOE reviewer in the last 4 months. At least this is one we know, in Florida, and seems to get things done. Bad part is that since he seems to be the best ACOE has to offer right now, they are overloading him.

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    The Streamsong golf courses opened about 12 years ago.

20. slocala

slocala VIP Member

Jan 11, 2009
    Thanks. I suppose it’s a trade off on methane and methane capture. What would WALL-E do?