Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Get Fired UP!

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Gatorhead, Jun 19, 2024.

1. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    I would hope that some of the Sophomores can step up. If we get 2 true Freshman to play like Wilson did last season, that would be a win.

• Like Like x 2
  2. scooterp

scooterp GC Hall of Fame

Feb 15, 2012
    Sounds like you have it all figured out.

3. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Fresno, CA
    Well, no, not anymore than anyone else who doesn’t have a chip in the big game. My hope remains that he wins seven regular season games, looks competitive against the good teams on our schedule, and we’re all here in January saying the future looks bright.

• Like Like x 3
  4. foot

foot Senior

Mar 24, 2008
    You may want to start taking drugs and chill. Who knows? We may end up 9-3 and in the playoffs. Everyone involved is working there butts off, so just enjoy the season and see how it plays out.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2008
    No, show me on the people on roster who had to show film. Makes no sense because UF has the film.. He only did that to commits. He reset recruiting, and it was positive for those who left and did nothing elsewhere.Btw Tarquin did nothing elsewhere, Braun was gone before Napier, and Powell did nothing here to suggest he could help us.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  6. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Fresno, CA
    I am very chill, and I want to enjoy the season as much as anyone. I would be nothing short of ecstatic with 9-3. I do, however, have managed expectations. And I will continue to push back against anyone who suggests that Coach Napier should get a fourth season even if the trend of poor performance continues through the third. That seems reasonable to me.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. foot

foot Senior

Mar 24, 2008
    In no way does any coach survive a third losing season at Florida, but I don't see a losing season.

The schedule is brutal and ridiculous, but this team is legit and we are going to see some good football from the Gators this year. There is a reason people are commenting on how Billy seems relaxed, confident and has a mysterious smile on his face. He knows something.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  8. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Fresno, CA
    Glad to hear it.

9. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Sophmores must step up to win games. We don’t have upperclassm returning starters to count on.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. ETGator

ETGator Long-Time Gator Stuck In East Tennessee Moderator VIP Member

Sep 15, 2007
    Folks have debated back-and-forth, without bashing, and that's good. Just to weigh-in a little, similar sentiments as you expressed have also been expressed by Bull Gators who definitely move the needle. While in the building. I've tried to gently relay that to the board since the 2022 season when the noise started. Absent something unexpected, I still plan to see Coach Napier leading the team out in 2025. That doesn't mean we can't all expect to also see a lot of improvement this year.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. scooterp

scooterp GC Hall of Fame

Feb 15, 2012
    Appreciate it ET. I’ve heard similar. The commitment from key doners and decision makers is a bit different this time around. BN & staff do have to do their part but the support from those that matter is there.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. gator34654

gator34654 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 5, 2007
    Our coaches and players are saying the right things, which all teams do, but what we don't know really is do these guys have the hunger and the drive like when TT was here? A lot about winning is preparation and commitment to go beyond what is expected.
    I've learned to dismiss hype and the first several games will tell me what kind of team we will have. Like everyone else I hope for the best.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    He did the same last fall preseason regarding the Defense.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. foot

foot Senior

Mar 24, 2008
    I didn't notice it last fall, but in his latest interviews he seems the most comfortable and confident I have ever seen him. Ron Roberts also has that same confident attitude. The roster looks solid, so hopefully all of that translates into some great football from the Gators.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. lizardbreath

lizardbreath GC Hall of Fame

Aug 30, 2017
    Pace, FL
    I feel exactly the same way. Obviously, there aren't many starry-eyed optimists around since the collapse of '21 and the struggles we've encountered ever since. But UF has seen cycles of program decay and regeneration play themselves out on several occasions over the years - starting with the arrival of the vastly under-rated Ray Graves in 1960. I've seen my Gators shake off a bad patch of road and go on to kick some serious ass too many times to give up on these players and this staff quite yet. Admittedly, there is some cause for the mordancy coming from some in Gator Nation. Losing is bad enough, looking hapless and hopeless in the process makes it just that much worse. But life is short and so are memories - so I'm turning my focus to the here and now and the season that starts in what will seem like no time at all. I can't honestly say that I'm 100% confident in much anything after seven decades on a roller coaster, but maybe that's just part of the "fun". Go Gators! Beat Miami!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    HI LB - I think you have a few years on me, I was at UF late 70's early 80's. (end of Doug Dickey era) Suffered through 79. But got to see the Pell era bring UF back to respectability.

College football - if it's one thing, it's cyclical. Even the most high profile programs: Bama, Notre Dame, Ohio State, S Cal, Michigan, etc. have cycles.
    The key of course, as defined by those programs, is they don't stay down long.

Florida fans would do well to remember the entire history of UF football. Folks here treat UF tradition like it was all about SOS and Urban.
    Thats B.S., UF went 85 years before winning a conference championship. One could say 78 years but the NCAA (really the SEC) took away the 1984
    rings.

But none of that applies TODAY.

The last three years have.....SUCKED.....not to cherry coat it. I follow UF close enough to know that the current "theories" behind UF's demise, tend to
    follow these lines:

1) UF Administrators ignored the financial money wars and emphasis on football in the 2000's. Facility infrastructure fell behind SEC teams.
    Foley concentrated on "spring sports", UF and the boosters did not "CHEAT" as effectively as the others in recruiting.

2) Dan Mullen and Todd Grantham basicly giving up on recruiting and being substandard with involving Gator Nation and the more prominant boosters,
    in developing and enhancing the program. Dan especially wanted to coach "offense", and was not very involved in much else.

Or something like that.

So we have this Gator Nation unspoken formula that if one can hire an SOS, Urban Meyer or Nick Saban type, that UF should deliver the goods in two years, thats the key. How realistic is this? Dabo didn't win anything his second year, Jim harbaugh didn't, many don't, but some do of course. Kirbys year 2 was excellent, but he didn't win a title until year 6. SOS, not until year 7. (A national title).

So we have Billy going into year 3 with a miserable record so far. Some (many) on the board want him replaced, many do not (I put myself into that category).
    Opinions are like, you know what, and everybody has one. Billy has another year to prove his stuff, I hope it works out, if it does not, we will hire a new coach.
    I do believe if Billy is replaced he will at least leave the program in decent (better) shape with talent than Mullen, more like what Ron Zook did prior to Urbans arrival.
    I hope it works out for Billy. From my perspective, the man should have a chance to deliver the goods (once he has the goods in place). But getting the "goods" in place, has taken much longer than expected.

He seems to be a high character man and coach, although traits like that are fast becoming mocked and ridiculed. Well we are a couple of months away from seeing what year 3 brings.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2024
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. lizardbreath

Aug 30, 2017
    Pace, FL
    I really loved this post. It is absolutely on target. I especially appreciate the unvarnished recitation of UF FB history - and how our current situation came about as a series of decisions and events that could have been avoided but weren't. Maybe we can learn something about the efficacy of hard work, the power of deep commitment and a genuine, abiding love for the University of Florida - from those who preceded us. In the present, IMO, Billy Napier is a truly fine man and a great representative of the "UF Way." His humility, integrity and composure under pressure are exemplary. I wish him the best in growing into the HC I think he can be, as this season and the ones that follow it unfold. GG! Beat Miami!

Last edited: Jun 25, 2024
    • Like Like x 6
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. Gatorhead

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Dog Days of Summer, Lizard! Baseball is over, (job well done Sully) and now I guess it's about recruiting in various UF sports programs.
    Baseball seems to be picking up some serious talent!

I don't know Lizard, maybe I should join the "House of Mouse" and follow track 24/7 - I mean if people are looking for a winner, well Mouse defines it dosen't he?

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. lizardbreath

Aug 30, 2017
    Pace, FL
    I'm not familiar with the allusion, but I'll correct that oversight forthwith.:)

20. Gatorhead

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Mouse's middle name is NATIONAL CHAMPION - lol I lost count of how many he has.

• Funny Funny x 1