Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Get Excited About the Defense

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by doctorg8r, Mar 25, 2024.

1. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Like I said, strike two.

2. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I'm sure Napier keeps score just fine on him. I have no worries on this matter.

3. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Hope he sees the light if he comes here and isn’t another Cox.

4. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    No doubt. Very sad.

Kids who make mistakes and have no consequences for doing so tend not to learn from them. I don't know this kid, but his actions speak much louder than his words. I don't know Coach Napier, but if I was him I would be extremely cautious about adding a player that has shown in the past that he may have some character flaws.

5. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2008
    I'm pretty sure he has had some huge loss of NIL from bouncing schools twice. I think that is some significant consequence. Of course, like some adults he may never learn regardless.

6. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    Hmmm....lemme see. I show good faith in even getting to visit a school that I publicly poked in the eye by bringing along my agent. Yep, that should work every time. :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  7. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

I hear you Rick. But you can also understand that he trolled us, flipping to Miami, and then to Primetime Nolejerk Sanders, where he allegedly had an attitude problem and not so allegedly underperformed. So now he wants back into our football team that has gone to great lengths to establish loyalty and chemistry to the extent that basically nobody flipped in the portal. This young man may have had a change of heart or maybe he’s looking for a place to run to for a 3rd chance. He’s high risk in my book.

If you do a bullshit-to-benefit ratio on Mr. McClain you may find it comes dangerously close to 1 - maybe even over 1.
    We have our reasons to be skeptical

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. thegatorvault

thegatorvault All American

Jan 11, 2015
    I certainly don’t like how the kid conducted himself, but people can change for a lot of reasons. Especially true with young people. My impression is that CBN will do his due diligence and won’t jeopardize the team in any capacity for a questionable athlete no matter their talent. They have to fit or be capable of fitting in with our culture. If he ends up a Gator, I will certainly cheer for him. If not, best of luck. Either way it will tell me all I need to know.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. foot

foot Senior

Mar 24, 2008
    Dieon throws his own true freshman under the bus in the national media, and constantly prays for them? Right! I hope all the recruits can start to see how full of crap he is and no longer buys it. He is no leader of men and never has been.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. scooterp

scooterp GC Hall of Fame

Feb 15, 2012
    And there lies the problem Rick. You are not just getting the kid but the people in his life that he is close with. I think it’s fair to question a kid’s guidance when they think playing for Dieon is the right place for him to land.

But if Napier has shown us anything, it’s that if anyone acts unilaterally towards the team’s mission or is a disruptive influence in the locker room he’ll show them the door. I’m sure there is certain criteria that has to be met in order for them to give him the green light.

Last edited: May 12, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. Gatorrick22

Apr 3, 2007
    Cautious... indeed.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Gatorrick22

Apr 3, 2007
    Yep, he was pictured with a kid wearing a T-shirt that had an insulting Gators message... That pissed me off too. But you know that once these kids sign to a school their coaches and others will seal the deal with these bridge-burning antics... Think about it The Seminoles are very close to the Canes and those two schools are the only schools, that I can remember, that pull these childish stunts. More reason to never let them in the SEC, but I digress.

The last second flip by him may have been brought about because of late "bag" delivery to his mother and/or agent for all we know.

All I'm saying is that Napier is the one making this decision, and I will live with whichever way it turns out. It's on Napier and no one else.

Last edited: May 13, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Gatorrick22

Apr 3, 2007
    Yep, that could be a major problem, I agree. I remember Urban Meyer having to deal with parents and their wants and desires.

I just hope Napier and his army lay down the "law" from the beginning. We cannot afford to get any kind of locker-room cancer.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. eastcoastgator

eastcoastgator Junior

Dec 8, 2010
    Miami, Fl.
    No objective reason to get excited for this year's defense however this Cormani McClain kid presents an intriguing opportunity.
    An opportunity Cormani to reset and to build his reputation and his brand. On and off the field. No better place than UF to do that. An opportunity for Napier to show his football and human development coaching skills. Cormani could be a prize subject for Napier.
    If that relationship were to transpire and grow then future recruiting could become a nice and really important add on for the University.
    I'm sure Napier would clearly read C.M. the riot act, nicely off course, and the rules and regulations would be understood from the get go.
    So even if we had a good defense and we don't I'd roll the dice on C.M. and let Napier mold and coach this kid up. It's an amazing opportunity for the athlete, the Coach and the University.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
  15. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    It’s an opportunity for the kid. We already have young talented cbs that I would take over him. He’s lucky, not Napier and if the kid doesn’t understand that yet, he still has some shit to wrap his head around.

• Like Like x 2
  16. doctorg8r

doctorg8r GC Hall of Fame

Dec 11, 2018
    Cormani needs someone to connect to and be a sage in his life. I think coach Harris can connect with him and be a sage. From the sounds of it, he's being offered as a walk-on. My guess, if he proves he's worthy, he'll get a scholarship the following year. The future is up to him, and it sounds like he had a full day with CBN, and he will meet with some team members on Monday. Go Gators!!!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. doctorg8r

Dec 11, 2018
    Hopefully, our defense just got better with the addition of McClain! My guess, he will probably see ST assignment, and he could be a starter in 2025; with his cooperation, of course!!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

I’d love to see him redshirt to put on some muscle and get a year of S&C, position coaching, and maybe even maturity

19. doctorg8r

Dec 11, 2018
  20. doctorg8r

Dec 11, 2018